Helping my dad save money - AnabolicMinds.com

Helping my dad save money

1. Board Supporter

Helping my dad save money

I'm not sure if my dad is a hypochondriac or not but he always has some ailment and spend insane amounts of money on bull**** 'As Seen On TV' items. There are so many better supplements he could utilize but has no knowledge so finally I talked some sense into him to let me get him some stuff for cheap to replace his garbage supplements.

Here is a breif summary of my dad:

5' 10" 250lbs
    Suffers from:
    Arthritis/Tendonitis/Inflammation
    High BP
    Bad cholesterol
    Respiratory trouble (can't take deep breaths/breathing in general)
    Fluxuations in blood sugar when he eats carbs leave him feeling like ****

Here's what I think he should take so far...I haven't thought out the dosing so far just the supplementation

Arthritis: Celandrin/MSM/Glucosamine
    Cholesterol: Polisconial/Garlic/(would say RYR but then you have to buy coq10 which gets very expensive)
    Blood Pressure: Hawthorn Berry/Celery Seed Extract
    Blood Sugar: Vanadyl Sulfate (heard good and bad about this)/ALA? help me out here too
    General Health: Fish Oils/Flax Oil/NAC/Multivitamin/DHEA
    Respiratory: clueless...help me out here guys

basically this is my dad's well being which is very important to me as he is 57...im trying to save him as much money as possible

any suggestions/critques/dosing suggestions are greatly appreciated...thanks bros

2. Board Supporter

I like that one, for sure. The VS, I'm not so sure about - can't it build up to toxic levels? Honestly, it sounds like he's overweight (high BF)? The best thing would be to help him clean up his diet, and get him exercising some. If he lost weight, I'm pretty sure it would take care of most of his symptoms. Sounds like he's on the way to type 2 diabetes (with the blood sugar issues you mentioned). I know diet and exercise is NOT he will want to hear or do, but if you could help him, you'd change his quality of life, and extend it a good bit, too.
  3. New Member

Good luck with that, I have been trying to get my father into diet and exercise for about 7 years now.

Even 10 minutes a day of stretching and substituting 1 of his crappy meals a day, for 1 healthy meal a day, is too much for him.

Stubborn old parents man, unless they want to do it, it is impossible to persuade them to do anything.

Most likely, if your father is as stubborn as mine, the only thing you can do is buy him some good supplements.

Because thats the only thing they think will change their health for the better, some kind o' miracle pill.

Flax Oil, Omega Flex, a good Multivitamin, a Fiber supplement, are all good ones.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.

Is your dad following a healthy lifestyle (i.e. diet and exercise) ? If not than that is the first major step because pills aren't magical on their own. Other than that, the supplement list should help in addition to a healthy lifestyle.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

VS and ALA are worthless IMO. Diet is of the utmost importance and result in the greatest benefits. Omega-3/fish oil(2-6g/day) is a must as I've seen people improve greatly with that alone. NAC(1-2g/day) is supposed to also help alleviate congestion and may help out the respiratory system as a result. Idebenone is touted as a more bioavailable form of coQ10 and is relatively cheap, $30 for 25g. Average dosage is 60-100mg/day. People have reported more consistent and sometime frequent bowel movements with dosages in the 300-500mg range. Allicin benefits several systems though I'm unsure of the proper dose. You might consider some ALCAR for general sense of well being.

C12 peptide or celery seed extract(3nb) are more effective at lowering bp and the latter also improves lipid profiles. Policosanol and RYR are effective in maintaining lipid profiles the latter I would cycle though. I don't believe any of these to be absolutely necessary if one is taking the supps I've listed in the previous paragraph. Take a look at the proposed sticky thread in the general section as it will answer a lot of your questions.
  6. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Ownage
    I'm not sure if my dad is a hypochondriac or not but he always has some ailment and spend insane amounts of money on bull**** 'As Seen On TV' items. There are so many better supplements he could utilize but has no knowledge so finally I talked some sense into him to let me get him some stuff for cheap to replace his garbage supplements.

Here is a breif summary of my dad:

5' 10" 250lbs
    Suffers from:
    Arthritis/Tendonitis/Inflammation
    High BP
    Bad cholesterol
    Respiratory trouble (can't take deep breaths/breathing in general)
    Fluxuations in blood sugar when he eats carbs leave him feeling like ****

Here's what I think he should take so far...I haven't thought out the dosing so far just the supplementation

Arthritis: Celandrin/MSM/Glucosamine
    Cholesterol: Polisconial/Garlic/(would say RYR but then you have to buy coq10 which gets very expensive)
    Blood Pressure: Hawthorn Berry/Celery Seed Extract
    Blood Sugar: Vanadyl Sulfate (heard good and bad about this)/ALA? help me out here too
    Respiratory: clueless...help me out here guys

basically this is my dad's well being which is very important to me as he is 57...im trying to save him as much money as possible

any suggestions/critques/dosing suggestions are greatly appreciated...thanks bros
    Just let me say that, im the age of your dad, and as a fellow baby boomer, I really want to commend you on your efforts.. I dont have any kids, cause I was always looking after me me me, and never thought Id be a good enough dad.. But if I had a kid, I only wish he was as caring as you.. Im sure youll find some thing to help him.. Unfortunately, dads usually think they know more than their kids, and sometimes their pride stops them from taking the advice. Best of luck.. I know youll find a way.
  7. Board Supporter

Arthritis: Celandrin/MSM/Glucosamine (??mg/??mg/??mg)
    Cholesterol: Polisconial (20mg)/Garlic (??mg)
    Blood Pressure: Hawthorn Berry (1.5g)/Celery Seed Extract (??mg)
    General Health: Fish Oils (3g)/Flax Oil(2g)/NAC (1200mg)/Multivitamin/DHEA(50mg)

these are what I'm thinking for the final supplements to get for my dad critique the dosages please
  8. Board Supporter

bump...any help?
  9. New Member

Lightbulb

Arthritis: Celandrin/MSM/Glucosamine (??mg/??mg/??mg)
    Cholesterol: Polisconial (20mg)/Garlic (??mg)
    Blood Pressure: Hawthorn Berry (1.5g)/Celery Seed Extract (??mg)
    General Health: Fish Oils (3g)/Flax Oil(2g)/NAC (1200mg)/Multivitamin/DHEA(50mg)
    Celery Seed Extract- a good, quality brand is Natural Factors available here: NutraPlanet 75-150mg 2x daily

Glucosamine.. I had bad knee problems for awhile and I don't recall dosage, but the recommendations on Schiff's Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM mix worked well for me. It's great when you find a supplement that actually does what it's supposed to.

I'd suggest looking into DS Glucophase XR for blood sugar. It's a stabilized form of the good form of ALA, K-R-ALA. Do a board search and you'll see it seems to be quite effective in regulating blood sugar levels. Available here: NutraPlanet

Good luck!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Trying to help my dad
    By jamesm11 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 08:21 PM
  2. Help my dad please
    By rdugan95 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-21-2009, 10:12 PM
  3. Replies: 3