Worried about my kidneys...

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
I'm really concerned... I had more bloodwork done and my BUN measured 39 (8-21), but my creatinine was 1.2 (.8-1.4). Last blood test the BUN was 31. The one before that was 37... I am scared that my kidneys are failing... I know protein intake elevates BUN, but this much..??? :(

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
What have you done that could be damaging to your kidneys?

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
What have you done that could be damaging to your kidneys?
That's just it... I don't know...

I ran SD about 3-4 months ago, and Max LMG for only 5 days about 6 weeks ago.... The only thing I'm on right now is Ultra H.O.T, Fenugreek, SesaThin, Antioxidants, ZMA and a multi.... My protein intake is around 400-450g/day too. (I weigh 204lbs)

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
I think it may have something to do with your high protein intake. Have you checked your blood pressure? High bp especially diastole can put additional strian on the kidneys.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Bro I would say that's way too much protien for your weight. That's over 2g per lb of bodyweight, even for bulking you only need ~1 - 1.5g. Still though - it shouldnt be enough to cause a problem. I dont think the supplements would have much to do with kidney function, but you never know.

What does your doc say? I wouldnt worry too much - I doubt your kidneys would be failing at 29 years old.

Are you drinking enough water? Should be pulling down at least a gallon a day...

BV

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
yeah, I drink about 2 gallons per day actually. Maybe I'll scale down on the protein a bit. I was taking in like 300-350g/day until I started DC training, then I bumped it up to 400-450 as DC says to have 2g per lb of bodyweight. My doc is currently in the process of referring me to a urologist for further tests.

Thanks for your help man.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
yeah, I drink about 2 gallons per day actually. Maybe I'll scale down on the protein a bit. I was taking in like 300-350g/day until I started DC training, then I bumped it up to 400-450 as DC says to have 2g per lb of bodyweight. My doc is currently in the process of referring me to a urologist for further tests.
Yeah, lower protein to 0.9g/lb which is the minimum recommended for a BBer, wait a few weeks and do the bloodtest again (FASTED 12h!)
Also, the protein amino-acid profile contribute to stress the kidneys. Red meat protein is the one to consume the less.
I did also a proteinuria test with all 24h period, just to be extra safe.

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
I actually had a urinalysis done and everything tested negative, and there was no protein in my urine. I also had a CT scan done and there were no stones and no kidney inflammation detected

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't worry about it, BUN levels are usually elevated through the consumption of high protein diets, the fact that your creatinine levels are low show this is the cause. Just get all of the tests done that your doc proposes, and tell him/her what your diet consists of.

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
I have also been using Arginine Ethyl-Ester and Citrulline Malate, both of which increase nitrogen retention. Do you think this could cause a faulty BUN reading?

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
HIGH PROTEIN DOES NOT INDUCE RENAL FAILURE! However, if you develope a moderate case of renal failure it WILL escalate the problem. I believe you said you werent' abusing nsaids, etc before right? Give us your supp history for the past few years. Kidney problems do not usually develope overnight. Someone could use too much motrin for a few months and the high protein intake will keep their kidneys from recovring and even exacerbate thr problem for some time. So, we need your supp history for some time. Maybe we can direct someone who knows for sure if these levels are normal for a BBer. BUN will always be high with high protein intake, so its not necessarily something threatening to your health.

If all other levels are normal, high BUN wouldn't be a huge concern to me considering you're taking in 450g protein daily. That would raise BUN considerably. However, I do suggest you be checked for actual renal failure. Or, drop the protein to 300g/day for a while and see if there is a decrease in BUN and you will see whether or not its just from the excess protein.

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
Ok... I was supp-free until march '04. From there, I used creatine mono for a few weeks. In april I started using V-12. quit that after ~8weeks. switched around on numerous fat burners for a few months.. In Oct 04' I did my first cycle of 1T and 4AD. In dec-jan. I ran M14ADD, 1-Test and 4-OHT. In march I ran SD for about 2 weeks... About 6 weeks ago I finished a short 5-day run of Max LMG (I stopped due to stomach problems.).. Other than that, I have just been using Arginine and Whey since then..

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
The only things I see in there that could *possibly* have caused a problem are creatine mono with low water intake & fat burners. But a few months of fat burners should not have caused a problem.

I would get a medical opinion from maybe a doctor, etc. who is well versed in athletics, but I believe your high BUN is striclty getting 400+ grams of protein into a 200lbs body.

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
in february my BUN measured 26 (7-21) when I was on a tad bit lower protein. Is it safe to say that my kidneys are performing just fine, and that the only reason they are high is from increased protein/increased nitrogen retention due to Arginine?

thanks for the input agian.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
"I" (me, km00, myself) would say so, BUT I'm not a qualified professional and I would get a qualified--and someone who is versed in athletics and high protein, etc--persons opinion before coming to that conclusion.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
in february my BUN measured 26 (7-21) when I was on a tad bit lower protein. Is it safe to say that my kidneys are performing just fine, and that the only reason they are high is from increased protein/increased nitrogen retention due to Arginine?

thanks for the input agian.
The rest of your blood work is fine, along with the other tests performed, imo your alright. Try dropping the protein down, and getting mor blood work. Best advice is to ask your doctor, and be honest.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
I actually had a urinalysis done and everything tested negative, and there was no protein in my urine. I also had a CT scan done and there were no stones and no kidney inflammation detected
No its a different test with urine cumulated for 24h. Anyway, as most people said, reduce protein intake (u can surely be fine with 1g/lb, more only when you are on gear).

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Lots of us (me included) have had high BUN readings. I'm going in for bloodwork on Monday. I'm eager to see what it says. I've been eating very strict (until today when I have pizza :D ) for several weeks now and actually almost the same for months. Hardly any beef has been in my diet. I've been trying to stay on track with a 40/40/20 diet for this time period. Sometimes my protein has jumped into the 50% range but for the most part has remained at ~40%. On prior tests, my protein has been up as high as 60% for extended periods and my BUN was in the high 30's. Then, I had blood drawn after a vacation where I did not workout for a week and ate like **** the entire week (well...."like ****" by my standards). My BUN was fine at that test. So I've sinced up my carbs to see what is up. I weigh 180 and have been consuming 200 grams of protein. I'm curious to see what happens this week.

So....I believe what the others here do. That your protein intake is what gave the skewed BUN reading.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
I'm really concerned... I had more bloodwork done and my BUN measured 39 (8-21), but my creatinine was 1.2 (.8-1.4). Last blood test the BUN was 31. The one before that was 37... I am scared that my kidneys are failing... I know protein intake elevates BUN, but this much..??? :(
To add to what the others have said. The BUN value is useful for diagnosing renal dyfuction usually in correlation with other values/findings. There are a myriad of reasons, many of minor significance, that cause an elevated BUN. If you had any real renal impairment, I would expect your creatinine value to be abnormal also. That being said, your caution is appropriate. Don't want to fry those beans.

Didn't you also have an elevated CK. Muscle breakdown from vigorous exercise can lead to high abnormals with both. Like others have said, cut back a bit on the protien and crank up the fluids until you find out whats going on. BTW did you have a hepatic profile done. Some hepatotoxic agents can lead to a secondary increase in BUN.

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
no it was I with the elevated CK. I hade a comprehensive metabolic panel performed. My electrolytes were normal, only thing other than BUN that was out of range was my albumin, which read 4.8 (3.2-4.7). As for the Hepatic Panel, good idea, I'll have to talk to my doctor about that and see if he will write the order for it.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
I hade a comprehensive metabolic panel performed.
I didn't realize you had a CMP. Your CMP should have had liver enzymes included in it. If you're doc didn't mention those to you, they were probably normal.

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
I didn't realize you had a CMP. Your CMP should have had liver enzymes included in it. If you're doc didn't mention those to you, they were probably normal.
I've got the results.

Clucose: 94 (65-99)
Sodium: 145 (135-148)
Potassium: 5.4 (3.5-5.5)
Chloride: 110 (99-111)
Co2: 24 (19-31)
BUN: 39 (7-21)
Creatinine: 1.2 (.9-1.4)
Calcium: 9.4 (8.7-10.5)
Total Protein: 7.7 (5.7-8.0)
Albumin: 4.8h (3.2-4.7)
Globulin: 2.9 (2.0-3.8)
A/G Ratio: 1.7 (1.1-2.3)
Bilirubin: .3 (.1-1.5)
AST: 35 (1-45)
ALT: 47 (1-55)
Alk Phos. Total: 77 (40-400)
Uric Acid: 3.4 (2.5-8.3)
Phosphorus: 4.5 (2.3-4.8)
GGT: 26 (2-42)
LDH: 161 (93-225)
Cholesterol: 126 (<200)
Triglycerides: 45 (37-148)
HDL Cholesterol: 55 (>40)
LDL Cholesterol: 62 (<130)
Chol/HDL Risk Ratio: 2:3

hope this helps :D

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
I've got the results.

Clucose: 94 (65-99)
Sodium: 145 (135-148)
Potassium: 5.4 (3.5-5.5)
Chloride: 110 (99-111)
Co2: 24 (19-31)
BUN: 39 (7-21)
Creatinine: 1.2 (.9-1.4)
Calcium: 9.4 (8.7-10.5)
Total Protein: 7.7 (5.7-8.0)
Albumin: 4.8h (3.2-4.7)
Globulin: 2.9 (2.0-3.8)
A/G Ratio: 1.7 (1.1-2.3)
Bilirubin: .3 (.1-1.5)
AST: 35 (1-45)
ALT: 47 (1-55)
Alk Phos. Total: 77 (40-400)
Uric Acid: 3.4 (2.5-8.3)
Phosphorus: 4.5 (2.3-4.8)
GGT: 26 (2-42)
LDH: 161 (93-225)
Cholesterol: 126 (<200)
Triglycerides: 45 (37-148)
HDL Cholesterol: 55 (>40)
LDL Cholesterol: 62 (<130)
Chol/HDL Risk Ratio: 2:3

hope this helps :D
Liver enzymes are normal.

Carl Hungus

Carl Hungus

Awards
nothing to contribute. all i have to say is love the handle (carl hungus).

the dude abides.... best movie evar.
LOL. Thanks Omar. My fave too, obviously. Now give us de money, or ve cut ov your johnson!! (damn, it's not easy to type a German accent)