Celebrex question

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Was put on this for 30 days at 7.5mg first thing in the morning. Will it have any impact on working out at all? I've got a lower back issue with some bone spurs on disc 2,3,4 and 5.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nah, I also have bulged L2/L3 and use generic Celebrex. It's a good safe NSAID with Cox-2 inhibitor, agrees with me well also worked well to control swelling when I broke my foot last year.

Doesn't affect my training, actually helps with alleviated back symptoms.

There was Viox a cousin Cox-2 inhibitor NSAID that elevated CV risk and FDA freaked in early 2000s. But Celebrex is as safe as Ibuprofen after long term study.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I got pretty sick from celebrex earlier this yr. It can cause GI haemoraging for some people, which is what happened to me - although I think this is rare. Watch your poo, if it goes dark stop taking immediately.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
That's a very low dose.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
There was Viox a cousin Cox-2 inhibitor NSAID that elevated CV risk and FDA freaked in early 2000s.
Well, it *was* linked to over 50,000 deaths and resulted in one of the largest, if not *the* largest, Pharmaceutical Industry payouts in Class Action history...all without admitting fault of course.

NeuroTropic

NeuroTropic

Banned
Awards
You may also want to look into subantimicrobial doses of doxycycline. It blocks an enzyme that breaks down cartilage and has been studied in osteo.

Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2006 Feb;32(1):217-34, xi-xii.
Experience with a placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial of a disease-modifying drug for osteoarthritis: the doxycycline trial.

Little effort has gone into the development of more effective analgesics for osteoarthritic pain. Efforts to improve symptomatic therapy for osteoarthritis have been deflected or diluted by a decision to pursue the development of disease-modifying OA drugs (DMOADs). These agents' main mechanism of action is directed not at the relief of joint pain but at slowing the progression of structural damage. This article describes the results of a recent randomized placebo-controlled designed to examine the DMOAD effect in humans of the tetracycline antibiotic doxycycline, and reviews the experience gained from other recent DMOAD trials in humans.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, it *was* linked to over 50,000 deaths and resulted in one of the largest, if not *the* largest, Pharmaceutical Industry payouts in Class Action history...all without admitting fault of course.
Yes, but to broadly ban all of them... when other Cox-2 / NSAID are effective and safer, was a typical knee jerk FDA reaction.

Celebrex is not Vioxx. Celebrex is fine. See results of 10 year study across 24k patients, to prove Celebrex is not Vioxx - infact has lower CV risk than Ibuprofen. Results came out in 2016.

“I thought that it would probably tilt against Celebrex. That’s what most people in the world thought,” he said, referring to colleagues in cardiovascular medicine.

“Everybody was wrong, including me. In fact, the actual rate of heart disease events with Celebrex was a little bit lower than it was for these older drugs like ibuprofen and naproxen,” he said. The strength of the evidence was overwhelming.”

For the study involving 24,081 heart patients and people at an increased risk for cardiovascular disease, the researchers compared celecoxib with the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs, naproxen (Aleve) and ibuprofen (Motrin or Advil) and found celecoxib no more dangerous to the heart than the two NSAIDs, which have been prescribed for decades. Celebrex was even safer when it came to certain side effects, like serious gastrointestinal problems.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/13/health/nsaid-pain-reliever-safety/index.html
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/celebrex-arthritis-nsaid-drug-study-surprises-cardiovascular-heart-experts/

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Yes, but to broadly ban all of them... when other Cox-2 / NSAID are effective and safer, was a typical knee jerk FDA reaction.

Celebrex is not Vioxx. Celebrex is fine. See results...
I believe you. I wasn't talking about Celebrex. I was replying to what I perceived was a brushing off the Vioxx fiaso. Maybe it was the use of "elevated" instead of killed, and "freaked" as a strange reaction by the agency :D

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I believe you. I wasn't talking about Celebrex. I was replying to what I perceived was a brushing off the Vioxx fiaso. Maybe it was the use of "elevated" instead of killed, and "freaked" as a strange reaction by the agency :D
I hear ya lol, Vioxx almost gave my mom with arthritis CV arrest, so I was super hesitant to use anything related to it... But upon vacation in Sri Lanka I had a full spine MRI and was prescribed Celebrex abroad. Saved my vacation and lower back rehab improved a lot. I researched the heck out of it, turns out Vioxx was bad compound, but this cousin is far more promising.