Post workout supplement

gspyropo

Awards
Hi I am looking for a post work out formula without simple cards and I want your opinions.. I just saw MHP dark matter zero card and want some other options so as to choose

bbartsche

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Take protein powder and put some oats in it. If you don't want simple carbs. If you only want protein just have a shake

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
I know that food is the best choice but I want something fast to drink after training because it’s difficult to curry food with me
I find putting food in a container is easier than holding it in your bare hands whilst travelling. You can also put the food that is inside the container into a bag for ease of transportation.

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
I find putting food in a container is easier than holding it in your bare hands whilst travelling. You can also put the food that is inside the container into a bag for ease of transportation.
Curry would be an excellent choice

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know that food is the best choice but I want something fast to drink after training because it’s difficult to curry food with me
You do not have to eat RIGHT after you train.

TrainerTone

TrainerTone

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why is it that you're avoiding carbs postworkout?

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Why is it that you're avoiding carbs postworkout?
I was wondering this too. Carbs is something I go for right after training. Along with protein of some kind

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Buying a designer "post workout" formula won't deliver any additional benefits over food. If you find it hard to carry food, protein powder and oats or a small container of breakfast cereal or rice cakes would be perfect.

Do you have specific macros you're trying to hit with this meal?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Agreed with the rest here, just go for a good protein powder or some bcaas and bulk creatine mono

shockrock3

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
"Food" is not a supplement, since the OP is in the "Supplement" section asking for a supplement. Now for a supplement post workout Nutrex POSTLIFT, Inspired's RELENTLESS and OL's Endur3 are the 3 best imho

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Depending on your "training age", your' bodies ability to increase muscle mass after a workout, lasts from 24-72 hrs - you don't have to eat/drink anything after a workout. Just eat your next meal whenever that is, and get your daily total in. But if you *must* carry something convenient - how about a couple Protein Bars? Costco, $0.90 ea. Banana - comes in it's own container.

Glycogen will replenish over the next 24 too, and if you're the average 90'ish minute lifting session person - you're not depleting much glycogen anyway.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I myself have been using Finish Line as my Post Workout supplement right after the gym (it gives me everything I need to recovery)

Then I eat a meal. I don't just rely on the supplement to give me my recovery

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Whey protein powder and creatine. SNS sells creatine mono and HCL. Different types of creatine for your goals, OP.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
His post is misleading. He states he wants simple carbs, but mentions a carbless formula. We don't know exactly what he wants.
I read it as. He wants a post workout WITHOUT simple carbs. He had been looking at MHP Dark Matter Zero Carb (which I thought they discontinued)

I think he mostly wants a recovery product. Protein, creatine, etc. without carbs

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi I am looking for a post work out formula without simple cards and I want your opinions.. I just saw MHP dark matter zero card and want some other options so as to choose
Make your own. That's what I do and it's been awesome. I eat about 10-15min after

5gr SNS L-leucine
10gr SNS creatine monohydrate
5gr D-Ribose
200mg NK-R-ALA

It's super inexpensive and I'll throw a packet of crystal lite in with it to choke down.

compan

compan

Awards
Finish Line works for covering the basic "staples", but I'd also do a protein shake with oats sometime after if not a meal.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I read it as. He wants a post workout WITHOUT simple carbs. He had been looking at MHP Dark Matter Zero Carb (which I thought they discontinued)

I think he mostly wants a recovery product. Protein, creatine, etc. without carbs
I misread it.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I usually just finish my intra workout/bcaa and drink protein with raw oats on my way home. Then I cook or warm up whenever I have cooked. Easy.

gspyropo

Awards
Thank all for,your replies... I finally chose to make my own post workout drink..

Creative HLC
LEUCINE
AGMATINE
BCAA

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
You want simple carbs right after a workout to make sure you are taking advantage of skeletal GLUT-4.

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
Agreed with the rest here, just go for a good protein powder or some bcaas and bulk creatine mono
When u say bulk creatine mono. R u talking about creatine mono from bulk supplement. com? R just creatine mono itself? Stupid question I know but I'm really interested?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
When u say bulk creatine mono. R u talking about creatine mono from bulk supplement. com? R just creatine mono itself? Stupid question I know but I'm really interested?
Any creative mono. I suggest SNS as it's like $13 for a year+ usually ha

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
No specific brand, mono is dirt cheap. Any supplement store would have it, or any online retailer

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Have you tried not making food into a curry?

But good to hear you sorted it all out

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Depending on your "training age", your' bodies ability to increase muscle mass after a workout, lasts from 24-72 hrs - you don't have to eat/drink anything after a workout. Just eat your next meal whenever that is, and get your daily total in. But if you *must* carry something convenient - how about a couple Protein Bars? Costco, $0.90 ea. Banana - comes in it's own container.

Glycogen will replenish over the next 24 too, and if you're the average 90'ish minute lifting session person - you're not depleting much glycogen anyway.
This 100%.

If you're training fasted, post workout nutrition in general is much more important - but as a general rule I never use carbs post-workout. That being said, my goals tend to be more aligned with fat loss than muscle gain - if I were running a "bulk" I may consider adding carbs.

EDIT: Deleted rest of the post - I thought I read he was looking FOR carbs. woops

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thank all for,your replies... I finally chose to make my own post workout drink..

Creative HLC
LEUCINE
AGMATINE
BCAA
Just a recommendation - use the agmatine preworkout if you're not already using a preworkout powder. 1g will get you pumped up like crazy.

Leucine is great but remember to check how much leucine you're already getting from the BCAA's and dose accordingly

Creatine HCL tastes very acidic/chemical in flavor. Go with Monohydrate as everyone else recommended - far more studies behind it and it tastes better/sits in the stomach better.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This 100%.

If you're training fasted, post workout nutrition in general is much more important - but as a general rule I never use carbs post-workout. That being said, my goals tend to be more aligned with fat loss than muscle gain - if I were running a "bulk" I may consider adding carbs.

EDIT: Deleted rest of the post - I thought I read he was looking FOR carbs. woops
But why omitting carbs post workout? I know you're not trying to go from 5% down to 3%.

That THE OPTIMAL time for carbs. No, you don't NEED to but seems incredible silly in the grand scheme of things unless you're doing a keto diet. Which in that case it only be for a lifestyle choice bc even keto offers negligible advantage for ACTUAL FAT LOSS.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
But why omitting carbs post workout? I know you're not trying to go from 5% down to 3%.

That THE OPTIMAL time for carbs. No, you don't NEED to but seems incredible silly in the grand scheme of things unless you're doing a keto diet. Which in that case it only be for a lifestyle choice bc even keto offers negligible advantage for ACTUAL FAT LOSS.
I just don't see the benefit and it doesn't align with my goals. I find a much bigger advantage having carbs either pre or intra workout than I ever have with post-workout (this was my original recommendation I had edited out, because I thought the OP was looking for carbs and I recommended waxy maize preworkout).

I'm also not convinced I need the carbs post workout, and most of the leading research I've heard/read says if you're training in a fed state the "anabolic window" is actually FAR longer than the supplement companies would lead you to believe - most quoting as high as 4 hours. Why force in crappy low quality processed carbs post workout when I could just eat better quality carbs with my meals and still replenish my glycogen? Or have 1 serving of carbs with my dinner that accomplishes everything dextrose would have, but actually fills me up at the same time so I'm not hungry later?

As I said, I think its goal dependent. If I were bulking or working on strength gains and my bodyfat% was lower, maybe I'd go ahead and have the carbs.

I don't think theres on single answer that covers all body types and goals - to make a blanket recommendation is what is silly to me. If you're lean and you like carbs and have good insulin sensitivity, go for it. Someone like me who's looking to lose fat I think is far better without.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just don't see the benefit and it doesn't align with my goals. I find a much bigger advantage having carbs either pre or intra workout than I ever have with post-workout (this was my original recommendation I had edited out, because I thought the OP was looking for carbs and I recommended waxy maize preworkout).

I'm also not convinced I need the carbs post workout, and most of the leading research I've heard/read says if you're training in a fed state the "anabolic window" is actually FAR longer than the supplement companies would lead you to believe - most quoting as high as 4 hours. Why force in crappy low quality processed carbs post workout when I could just eat better quality carbs with my meals and still replenish my glycogen? Or have 1 serving of carbs with my dinner that accomplishes everything dextrose would have, but actually fills me up at the same time so I'm not hungry later?

As I said, I think its goal dependent. If I were bulking or working on strength gains and my bodyfat% was lower, maybe I'd go ahead and have the carbs.

I don't think theres on single answer that covers all body types and goals - to make a blanket recommendation is what is silly to me. If you're lean and you like carbs and have good insulin sensitivity, go for it. Someone like me who's looking to lose fat I think is far better without.
Then you need to separate was connivence VS what's optimal. I'm speaking optimally and you're speaking out of connivence. Granted there are factors but you cannot refute the Glut-4 process occurring after intense resistance training and that stopping protein breakdown is a MUST.

Again, bodybuilding isn't done in a vacuum (studies) and I have HORRIBLE genetics and I think my results can speak louder than a lot of things you may read.

And yes I am playing that look at me card bc I've earned it. Even at 20% body fat I would have ample post workout carbs. You workout to build muscle and replenish, lose fat with cardio and the rest of your daily nutrition

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Then you need to separate was connivence VS what's optimal. I'm speaking optimally and you're speaking out of connivence. Granted there are factors but you cannot refute the Glut-4 process occurring after intense resistance training and that stopping protein breakdown is a MUST.

Again, bodybuilding isn't done in a vacuum (studies) and I have HORRIBLE genetics and I think my results can speak louder than a lot of things you may read.

And yes I am playing that look at me card bc I've earned it. Even at 20% body fat I would have ample post workout carbs. You workout to build muscle and replenish, lose fat with cardio and the rest of your daily nutrition
To each his own - I know its a divisive subject. I'm just not sold I need it where I am. I add muscle fine even at a deficit, I just need to be leaner

SouthernIron

SouthernIron

Awards
I'm a general protein shake afterwards person. If I have creatine to add as well, then great. But I don't add any extra carbs as I too try to keep those down. I leave whatever carbs are in the shake as is and just go with that. Then again, I'm broke AF, so I do what I can with whatever I got.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Millennium Sports ATHLETE'S-RECOVERY™ (WITH NEW ZEALAND WHEY) was designed for post training, recovery,replenishment . Top of the line quality here.