IF, Autophagy and Supplements

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've recently begun a strict keto diet and 18/6 IF to help in the recovery of my injuries but also to just get healthier in general. I'm wondering what supplements could enhance and hinder autophagy? I take a ton of stuff, and just trying to figure out which ones could be helping or hurting. Citrulline, agmatine, taurine, forskolin, proteolytic enzymes...? Any thoughts? Anything I should be taking?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
From my understanding, it's during the fast that most (all) autophagy is taking place - just don't take *anything* during that time (which I assume also includes your sleeping). I never came across any info on supplements that help or hurt autophagy.

BTW, FYI - my 16/8 IF has my blood beta-hydroxy-butyrate at 0.4mmol/l every day (right before first deeding) :thumbsup: The best I did on 'TrueKeto'TM was 0.5-0.6mmol... I'll take IF with about 210g of Carbs/day over Keto, any day of the week :D

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
See, something I'm taking must be messing up my ketones during the fast, because I registered at .3 mmol right before breaking my fast. Guess I'll skip everything tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully it's not my blood pressure meds (bisoprolol and Losartan).

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
See, something I'm taking must be messing up my ketones during the fast, because I registered at .3 mmol right before breaking my fast. Guess I'll skip everything tomorrow and see what happens. Hopefully it's not my blood pressure meds (bisoprolol and Losartan).
What's your Protein intake? I had to drop to under 70g to prevent Gluconeogenesis from interfering when on TrueKetoTM

I couldn't even begin to explain why eating 210g of Carbs and 235g Protein IF, get's me *almost* to the same BhB levels as Keto - way out of my wheelhouse, but I'll take it :D You get that NovaMax Blood Ketone Monitor?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What's your Protein intake? I had to drop to under 70g to prevent Gluconeogenesis from interfering when on TrueKetoTM

I couldn't even begin to explain why eating 210g of Carbs and 235g Protein IF, get's me *almost* to the same BhB levels as Keto - way out of my wheelhouse, but I'll take it :D You get that NovaMax Blood Ketone Monitor?
Normally ~80g protein a day and that'll have my ketones around .7 to 1.1, but 1 day going over 100g or eating dairy will shut it down to .2 mmol in a hurry. And it takes a couple days to get them back up even with 18 hour fasts.

I have both a Precision Xtra and Novamax ketone and blood glucose monitor which give very similar results with regard to ketones but the Novamax glucose reading is off by 50 points usually.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Normally ~80g protein a day and that'll have my ketones around .7 to 1.1, but 1 day going over 100g or eating dairy will shut it down to .2 mmol in a hurry. And it takes a couple days to get them back up even with 18 hour fasts.

I have both a Precision Xtra and Novamax ketone and blood glucose monitor which give very similar results with regard to ketones but the Novamax glucose reading is off by 50 points usually.
Yeah, I live with two Type 1 Diabetics - all glucose meters read different - when you go to the doc, they do simultaneous readings from the same finger prick to get on the same page.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Updating an old thread here, but since starting sublingual DHEA, my ketones have jumped from .4 to 1.1, and that’s at 150 grams of protein per day.

Have you had your DHEA-S levels checked?

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It could be your meds. I know when I was taking BP meds and I think the same ones, my body had trouble hitting Ketosis. I used Keto Salts toaid in getting there nightly. My guess is that you may be having the same issue.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It could be your meds. I know when I was taking BP meds and I think the same ones, my body had trouble hitting Ketosis. I used Keto Salts toaid in getting there nightly. My guess is that you may be having the same issue.
Had the same issue on and off meds. Nothing other than DHEA has changed the past couple weeks.

There’s some research on dhea’s Effect on liver fatty acid oxidation and transport pathways which is what sparked the experiment in the first place.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm wanting to day that some ampk activators speed up initiation of autophagy. Curcumin and resverstrol are two that come to mind.