Looks like Milk Thistle is gonna be a thing of the past

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hempedu Bumi Plus[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The many health benefits of Andrographis paniculata (Hempedu Bumi), makes this product a must in every home![/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hempedu Bumi Plus is considered a "First Aid kit in a capsule" due to its ability to to reduce the harmful effects of dietary fats and environmental toxins, maintain healthy liver function, fight bacterial and viral infections and enhance the digestive process. These are; Andrographis paniculata, Phyllanthus niruri and Curcuma longa. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The liver performs hundreds of functions, and is compared to a "chemical factory". It is not surprising that if the liver does not function well, our health is affected in many ways. One of the liver's primary tasks is to filter toxins, a function for which it is often overworked and put under stress by various factors of modern living. If prolonged, these stresses can lead to liver disease and subsequent toxic overload. The major stress factors are environmental pollutants, food toxins, saturated and fried oils, certain drugs, hepatitis, smoking and alcohol. Our immune system is also under attack from microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses that invade our first line of defense in our respiratory airways and cause the common cold, sinus infections, sore throat and bronchitis.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
A bitter tonic, Hempedu Bumi (Andrographis paniculata) is shown to be superior to Milk Thistle (Silymarin) in its liver protective and bile promoting properties. In Scandinavia this plant is now the top selling herbal product for fighting infections, replacing the North American herb Echinacea. In Malaysia, its name means "Bile of the Earth". The active constituents, the andrographolides act as strong antioxidants, protecting the liver and digestive system. Laboratory and clinical trials have demonstrated its effectiveness in cases of toxic liver damage, poor liver function and hepatitis. Together with its effects on the liver and digestion Hempedu Bumi is also shown to prevent the build up of cholesterol in the circulatory system to a degree that was more substantial than fish oils. It is particularly suited to those on a high cholesterol diet. Traditionally the herb is also used for high blood pressure and modern research has also confirmed its gentle and safe hypotensive effects.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The most recent research on this herb is focusing on its immune enhancing and anti-viral properties, even against several strains of the HIV virus. In China it is the herb of choice for sore throats, and in Norway, Denmark and Sweden it is the principal remedy for colds and flu. In India controlled double blind clinical studies found that Hempedu Bumi has a preventative effect against the common cold. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also included are the tropical herbs known as "Dukung Anak" (Phyllanthus niruri) and Kunyit (Curcuma longa). Dukung Anak possesses anti-viral and liver tonic properties and is of use in viral diseases, acute hepatitis and chronic persistent hepatitis. Kunyit (Turmeric) is perhaps the most widely used herb of Indonesia and Malaysia and is found to possess liver promoting, tonic, anti-inflammatory, cholesterol-lowering and anti-oxidant properties. [/font]

oswizzle

Banned
Awards
  • Established
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I know this seems like some whack ish to read...but if u scope this out fully seems like something intresting to throw in some PCT...[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]​

Names

[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Indian Name : Kalmegh[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Botanical Name : Andrographis Paniculata[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Other Names :Kalmegh, Andrographis, Kiryat, [/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]senshinren,kirata.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Introduction

It is a principal herb in the domestic medicine called 'Alui', which is given to infants. Both in Ayurveda and Unani, it is confused with 'Chitetta' (Swertia chirata), but both are different plants. It is widely available in Arabia. It is given for fever along with several herbs. It was advertised in England as a substitute for quinine.
For centuries, the Ayurvedic practitioners of India have used the roots and leaves of the herb Andrographis paniculata to treat ailments ranging from poor digestion to hepatitis. In the Chinese medical tradition, the plant has been used to treat everything from gastrointestinal complaints to throat infections. Although some early scientific studies suggested that andrographis has a direct antimicrobial action, the weight of clinical evidence now shows that the real value of this ancient herb is as a stimulant for the immune system.

Origin
It grows throughout India from Assam and Himachal Pradesh to all over south India. Grows well in moist and shaded places, but it prefers sunny situations. It is cultivated all over India.

[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chemical composition /key active constituents [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bitter diterpenoid lactones, especially deoxy-andrographolide, andrographolide and [/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ncoandrographolide have been isolated from the whole plant and leaves.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Diterpene dimers[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Flavonoids available in the roots.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The main active constituents and marker compounds are considered to be the andrographolides and andrographis extracts are often standardized to these compounds.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pharmacology
It increases biliary flow and liver weight in rat. Andrographolide produces a significant dose dependent choleretic effect, as evidence by increase in bile flow, bile salt and bile acids in conscious rats and anaesthetised guinea pigs.
It shows hepatoprotective action.
It improves non-specific immune response. Although both andrographis and beta glucan effective immune enhancers, Extracts of andrographis,have been shown to stimulate powerful immune responses in living creatures. The immune response may be specific directed at a microbial invader already present in the body, or generally, strengthening the immune system in preparation against future infections. Andrographis strongly stimulates phagocytosis and the production of specific antibodies.
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Remedies For
Digestive: Promotes digestion
Hepatoprotective: Protects the liver and gall bladder.
Vermicidal: Kills intestinal worms & support intestine
Anti-acne: Protect skin from pimples
Analgesic: Pain killer
Anti-inflammatory: Reduces swelling and cuts down exudation from capillaries
Antibacterial: Fights bacterial activity. Although Andrographis appears to have weak direct antibacterial action, it has remarkably beneficial effect in reducing diarrhea and symptoms arising from bacterial infections.
Expectorant: Promotes mucus discharge from the respiratory system.
Hypoglycemic:Blood sugar reducer.
Immune Enhancement.
Laxative: Aids bowel elimination
Sedative: A relaxing herb, though not with the same effect as the accepted herbal sedatives, valerian roots, hops, skullcap, etc.

[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dosage
Andrographis is generally available as capsules with dried herb or as standardized extracts (containing 11.2 mg andrographolides per 200 mg of extract). For dried herb, 500–3,000 mg is taken three times per day. In clinical trials, 100 mg of a standardized extract were taken two times per day to treat the common cold, for indigestion, andrographis may be taken as a tea. A typical dosage of andrographis is 400 mg 3 times a day.
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]References:[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. J. Sci. Ind. Res., 1964, 1, 14.
2. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 1978, 16, 830.
3. Indian J. Med. Res., 1990, 92(B), 276-283.
4. CAS, IP, Ayurveda book etc.
[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica][size=+1]Liver & Gallbladder Protection[/size][/font]
In Ayurvedic medicine (a system used in India), there are 26 different formulations containing AP that are used to treat liver disorders. AP's four related medicinal compounds were tested for a protective effect against liver toxicity produced in mice by giving them carbon tetrachloride (a cleaning solvent), alcohol, or other toxic chemicals. (26). These chemicals damage the liver by causing lipid peroxidation. This is a process whereby free radicals (reactive molecules) produced by the chemical attack and destroy cellular membranes that surround liver cells. When the AP compounds were given to animals three days before the toxic chemicals, there was a significant protective effect in the liver. This effect was attributed to the antioxidant ability of the AP compounds, which was effective as silymarin (another plant antioxidant from milk thistle).
In another study, andrographolide from AP was shown to produce a significant increase in bile flow. (27). Bile is produced in the liver and stored in the gallbladder and aids in digestion. When a chemical, paracetamol, was given to animals pretreated with andrographolide, the usual decrease in bile production seen with this chemical was prevented. In this case. andrographolide was more potent than silymarin.
Infective hepatitis is an acute inflammatory condition of the liver. It is often followed by liver cirrhosis and may progress to a coma and death. In India, where ancient physicians used AP to treat similar liver ailments, a study was conducted to evaluate the effect of AP in infective hepatitis. There was marked improvement in the majority of patients tested, when given a decoction or infusion of AP. Appetite improved on the fifth day of treatment, jaundice (yellow color of conjunctive of the eye and skin) gradually diminished and completely disappeared within 24 days, and fever subsided after 7 days on average. Other indications of effectiveness of AP included improvement in liver function tests. The researchers concluded that AP was a useful remedy for treatment of infective hepatitis.
The andrographolides present in AP are potent stimulators of gallbladder function. In animal experiments, those that received andrographolides for seven consecutive days showed an increase in bile flow, bile salts, and bile acids. These increases are beneficial and result in enhanced gallbladder function. Use of AP might, therefore, decrease the probability of gallstone formation and might also aid fat digestion. The andrographolides also prevented decreases in the amount of bile that are caused by acetaminophen toxicity. (15).

stumbras

Board Supporter
Awards
intresting anybody carries this stuff

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like Milk Thistle is gonna be a thing of the past
I know this seems like some whack ish to read...but if u scope this out fully seems like something intresting to throw in some post cycle therapy...
Maybe it's me, but...what are you saying here dude.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wait, I think I have it.
A bitter tonic, Hempedu Bumi (Andrographis paniculata) is shown to be superior to Milk Thistle (Silymarin) in its liver protective and bile promoting properties.
Sorry, I read so much misinformation on here that I cannot decipher facts from fiction anymore.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
This sounds like a promising addition to our supplements. There is no way to fairly compare it's liver protective and bile promoting properties to that of Milk Thistle though. At least not for quite a while, as much more studies need to be conducted.

I wonder how many studies they did and what milk thistle product they compared it to in order to make that claim.

Did it contain sufficient amounts of Silymarin? What percentage was it standardized to? Did it contain Isosilybin B. Were they comparing the two on a gram by gram basis?

In any case, I don't see Milk Thistle being faded out by this or any other product for that matter, but this does sound like an added bonus.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I think there are lots of alternatives to MT. I'm using Liv-52/Liver Care right now and I have to say, I am noticing a difference in my energy levels, how I digest things et cetera.

The only drawback to MT seems to be with it's potential for interference with the AR. I have not seen a lot of evidence to support this, but I do remember Charles Poliquin mentioning it. Fact or fiction?

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
The only drawback to MT seems to be with it's potential for interference with the AR.
I've never really heard any negatives about milk thistle so I'll have to look that up.

So what is AR?

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
The only drawback to MT seems to be with it's potential for interference with the AR. I have not seen a lot of evidence to support this, but I do remember Charles Poliquin mentioning it. Fact or fiction?
I was just going to mention that about MT. If AP doesn't affect the AR, that makes it attractive to me.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yes, the androgen receptor. I heard this repeated a few times but I only recall reading one abstract on it. Not sure how pronounced this effect is or if it's anything to worry about, but I will say anecdotally, it seems like my libido takes a small hit when I run MT at higher doses.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes, the androgen receptor. I heard this repeated a few times but I only recall reading one abstract on it. Not sure how pronounced this effect is or if it's anything to worry about, but I will say anecdotally, it seems like my libido takes a small hit when I run MT at higher doses.

Wow. I must say if you can tell a fluctuation in libido that well then you truly are a master of your testes.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Maybe Crowler can add this to cycle support.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Wow. I must say if you can tell a fluctuation in libido that well then you truly are a master of your testes.

:study: You can bet I am! Things like not thinking sexual thoughts 20,000 times per day is one indicator I rely on.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:study: You can bet I am! Things like not thinking sexual thoughts 20,000 times per day is one indicator I rely on.
Holy Hell. I feel terrible as I am much younger than you and do not have half as many of such thoughts.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
When they drop below 15K, I know something is wrong. Horribly horribly wrong.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When they drop below 15K, I know something is wrong. Horribly horribly wrong.
I think I'll keep popping my DHEA, CISSUS,Powerfull and Anagen and Activate now...........

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You're gonna start growing leaves if you take any more phytosterols. :ntome:

size

Awards
  • Established
I still think in regards to liver issues that NAC is a better choice, especially when compared to milk thistle. My opinion on this is due to the fact that NAC is the precursor that leads to the formation of gluthatione(a strong antioxidant).

DrMips

Awards
Andrographis Paniculata: How An Eastern Remedy Is Finally Gaining Recognition For Its Wide Range Of Medicinal Powers... From Boosting Immunity To Dissolving Blood Clots

The global flu epidemic of 1918 was one of the most devastating infectious outbreaks in world history - more virulent even than the Black Death in the 14th century - killing 50 million people worldwide. No country escaped its onslaught but in India, an amazing herb, Andrographis paniculata, was credited with stopping the spread of the deadly virus.

Now, important new research has confirmed a host of pharmacological benefits for this herb, including potent anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-viral effects. In addition, scientists have discovered that Andrographis paniculata helps boost the immune system, protects against cancer, prevents blood clots and maintains efficient digestive functioning.

Andrographis paniculata is an annual plant with characteristic white-purple or spotted purple flowers that flourishes in South-East Asia, China and India. It has been valued for centuries by herbalists as a treatment for upper respiratory infections, fever, sore throat and herpes. Other reported applications include its use in cases of malaria, dysentery and even snakebites.

In the last 10 years or so, andrographis has become popular in America and Scandinavia where it is used as a preventative and treatment for the common cold - hence its modern nickname - 'Indian echinachea'. But HSI Panellists have discovered that the herb has enormous potential in a far wider range of diseases. And now that the herb is available in the UK, we're delighted to bring you this report about its extraordinary benefits.

Andrographis helps your body fight infection and can reduce the length of a cold
Although scientists in the West have recently been uncovering the remarkable medicinal properties of andrographis, it has in fact been used in Ayurvedic medicine for hundreds of years.

Today it is prominent in at least 26 different Ayurvedic formulations used to treat liver disorders. The herb improves gall bladder function, increases bile flow (thereby aiding digestion), and has been found to be as effective as silymarin (active compound in milk thistle) in protecting the liver 1.

To date, the herb is best known in Western society as a popular over-the-counter alternative remedy for the common cold. Several double-blind clinical trials have shown that andrographis can reduce the severity of symptoms.

In one study involving 158 participants, andrographis or placebo was given daily for 4 days. By the second day those taking the herb showed significant improvements as compared to those given the placebo. Improvements were seen in relation to sleeplessness, nasal drainage and sore throat 2.

As a preventative for the common cold, studies show that andrographis may increase the body's resistance to infection by stimulating the production of antibodies and macrophages - large white blood cells that scavenge foreign matter. In a three-month trial involving 107 students, 54 of the participants took 100mg of andrographis twice daily, while the remaining students were given placebo. At the end of the trial only 16 students in the andrographis group experienced the signs of a cold, compared to 33 in the placebo group 3, 4.

Andrographis promotes a healthy heart by preventing blocked arteries and blood clots
Scientists today, however, are focusing on the herb's application in treating the 'killer' diseases that blight modern life, such as heart disease, cancer and even AIDS.

The main active constituent in andrographis is andrographolide, which in herbal medicine is referred to as a 'bitter' principle - so called because of its bitter taste. Indeed, andrographis is known as the 'King of Bitters'.

Bitter herbs generally have an affinity with the heart, liver and gall bladder and most have a cooling effect on the body and can bring down a temperature.

According to studies in China, andrographis is effective in preventing the formation of blood clots and preventing the re-clogging of arteries after angioplasty - a technique used to treat blocked arteries by inserting a balloon into the blood vessels which is then inflated to widen the artery 5.

Further research shows that the herb activates fibrinolysis, a natural process in the body in which blood clots are dissolved. It also relaxes the smooth muscle in the walls of blood vessels and has a blood pressure-lowering effect 6.

Performs as well as many conventional drugs but without the harmful side-effects
Andrographis extracts are cytotoxic (cell-killing) against cancer cells. Positive results have been seen in relation to stomach, skin, prostate and breast cancer cells in test-tube studies 7.

In fact, recent laboratory tests in New York have demonstrated that andrographis may inhibit the growth of human breast cancer cells just as well as the drug tamoxifen 8.

The herb's anti-viral activity has been demonstrated in HIV and AIDS. Andrographis prevents the virus from infecting healthy T-cells and inhibits the spread of infection, while other studies show that the herb is able to fight HIV in cells even after they have been infected 9.

Scientists have found that andrographis hinders HIV from taking over a 'control enzyme' in certain T-cells that triggers the multiplication of the virus. This action is the same as AZT, a commonly used AIDS drug with a number of debilitating side-effects, including a low blood count 9.

Finally, andrographis extracts are showing promise in relieving diarrhoea associated with E.coli bacterial infections 10.

In one study, andrographis was given to 1,611 people with bacterial dysentery and 955 people with diarrhoea. The results showed an overall effectiveness of 91.3 per cent 11.

What to take for best results
The suggested dosage for andrographis is 400mg twice a day (for up to 10 days). Although andrographis has been found to be safe in humans, animal studies suggest it may impair fertility. Safety in young children and pregnant or nursing women has not yet been established.

1. Kapil, A., I.B. Koul, S.K. Banerjee, and B.D. Gupta. Antihepatotoxic effects of major diterpenoid constituents of Andrographis paniculata. Biochemical Pharmacology 1993;46(1):182-85
2. Caceres DD, Hancke JL, Burgos RA, et al. Use of visual analogue scale measurements (VAS) to assess the effectiveness of standardized Andrographis paniculata extract SHA-10 in reducing the symptoms of common cold. A randomized double-blind-placebo study.