Kidney protectants

K

kelvin_chia

Awards
Anyone knows of any well documented kidney protectants? I've heard about r-ala and cranberry, but nothing definite at all.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I like Grapeseed Extract as a general antioxidant and vascular protectant, it also has some study as a kidney and liver aid.

"Grape Seed Extract. Known for its powerful antioxidant qualities, grape seed extract also acts as a smooth muscle relaxant in blood vessels to combat hypertension. Ray et al. (2000) studied the protective effects of grape seed extract against biological, pharmacological, and toxicological effects of certain drugs to the kidneys, lungs, and heart in mice (acetaminophen, amiodarone, and doxorubicin). Ray et al. (2000) found that "grape seed extract preexposure prior to acetaminophen, amiodarone, and doxorubicin provided near complete protection in terms of serum chemistry changes and significantly reduced DNA fragmentation." Moderate to massive tissue damage occurred by all three drugs in the absence of grape seed extract. Bagchi et al. (2000) also found that grape seed extract "demonstrated excellent protection against acetaminophen overdose-induced liver and kidney damage."

E

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
You should also consider getting your blood pressure checked as hypertensive levels can increase the strain on your kidneys.

K

kelvin_chia

Awards
You should also consider getting your blood pressure checked as hypertensive levels can increase the strain on your kidneys.
Am i right then to say that ephedrine, caffeine or other stimulants can have adverse effects on the kidneys?

K

kelvin_chia

Awards
I like Grapeseed Extract as a general antioxidant and vascular protectant, it also has some study as a kidney and liver aid.

"Grape Seed Extract. Known for its powerful antioxidant qualities, grape seed extract also acts as a smooth muscle relaxant in blood vessels to combat hypertension. Ray et al. (2000) studied the protective effects of grape seed extract against biological, pharmacological, and toxicological effects of certain drugs to the kidneys, lungs, and heart in mice (acetaminophen, amiodarone, and doxorubicin). Ray et al. (2000) found that "grape seed extract preexposure prior to acetaminophen, amiodarone, and doxorubicin provided near complete protection in terms of serum chemistry changes and significantly reduced DNA fragmentation." Moderate to massive tissue damage occurred by all three drugs in the absence of grape seed extract. Bagchi et al. (2000) also found that grape seed extract "demonstrated excellent protection against acetaminophen overdose-induced liver and kidney damage."
Sounds good, friend. I'll look into that. Thanks.