Betaine (TMG) A Worthwhile supplement?

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As the title says,
Is Betaine Anhydrous (TMG) a worthwhile supplement?

Reps For Replies.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes! Betaine is great!

2.5g / day. It helps increase power, strength, and supports muscle gains.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a big fan.

I get my full daily dose using Finish Line...along with my daily dose of Beta Alanine, L-Carnitine L-Tartrate, Creatine and more...

compan

compan

Awards
A couple years ago I have a very consistent routine and product use. It was bodyforge 2.0/2.1 with a caffeine pill pre-workout and that was it. I did that for months then decided to add in betaine (from MT) at about 2.5g a day. I did notice some improvements in my strength and was pleasantly surprised. It was one of the few times I was able to do somewhat of a controlled experiment with adding in a new product. MT did away with their bulk betaine for a while and iFN came out with Finish Line, so I've been using that for my BA, Betaine and Creatine because it's easy. But yes, I'd definitely suggest trying it.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm a big fan.

I get my full daily dose using Finish Line...along with my daily dose of Beta Alanine, L-Carnitine L-Tartrate, Creatine and more...

I was actually just looking at that one, was debating if should go and get it today... ��

compan

compan

Awards
I was actually just looking at that one, was debating if should go and get it today... ��
I'm a rep of course, but the product is very straight forward and covers the basics pretty well. I have a tub in my gym bag for intra on the weekends and a tub in my desk at work to have a scoop during the day.

If all you want is betaine, go for a bulk. But if you want betaine with the other basics covered, finish line is a great option and pretty affordable for what you get.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
It is definitely worth including and cheap in bulk.

If you're looking for just betaine, SNS Betaine Anhydrous is $10.95 for a ridiculous amount of servings over at Nutraplanet. If you're looking for product with all the 'essentials' then go for a product like Finish Line or Ergonine.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a rep of course, but the product is very straight forward and covers the basics pretty well. I have a tub in my gym bag for intra on the weekends and a tub in my desk at work to have a scoop during the day.

If all you want is betaine, go for a bulk. But if you want betaine with the other basics covered, finish line is a great option and pretty affordable for what you get.
Can you guys recommend me an European based retailer that delivers to Belgium? I am having a hard time finding it. And orders from the US of bigger tubs like Iforce always get caught in customs and I have to pay extra money. Thanks

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can you guys recommend me an European based retailer that delivers to Belgium? I am having a hard time finding it. And orders from the US of bigger tubs like Iforce always get caught in customs and I have to pay extra money. Thanks
Have you tried PowerBody yet? they appear to have all flavors in stock

Big_Spaz

Big_Spaz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Finish Line is definitely a great product. Profile is pretty much unmatched and the flavors are incredible as well. Definitely a staple for me and has been for the past year+ now.

-Spaz

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What product do you recommend?
iForce Finish Line

It contains the clinically backed dose of 2.5g betaine along with full doses of other important ergogenics including beta alanine, LCLT, and creatine.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I get my full daily dose using FinishLine...along with my daily dose of Beta Alanine, L-Carnitine L-Tartrate, Creatine and more...

A couple years ago I have a very consistent routine and product use. It was bodyforge 2.0/2.1 with a caffeine pill pre-workout and that was it. I did that for months then decided to add in betaine (from MT) at about 2.5g a day. I did notice some improvements in my strength and was pleasantly surprised. It was one of the few times I was able to do somewhat of a controlled experiment with adding in a new product. MT did away with their bulk betaine for a while and iFN came out with Finish Line, so I've been using that for my BA, Betaine and Creatine because it's easy. But yes, I'd definitely suggest trying it.

It is definitely worth including and cheap in bulk.

If you're looking for just betaine, SNS Betaine Anhydrous is $10.95 for a ridiculous amount of servings over at Nutraplanet. If you're looking for product with all the 'essentials' then go for a product like Finish Line or Ergonine.
Finish Line is definitely a great product. Profile is pretty much unmatched and the flavors are incredible as well. Definitely a staple for me and has been for the past year+ now.

-Spaz
iForce Finish Line

It contains the clinically backed dose of 2.5g betaine along with full doses of other important ergogenics including beta alanine, LCLT, and creatine.
Damn, looks like there's definitely a fan base for Finish Line, looks like I'll be ordering that in the morning.
Any flavour recommendations?

compan

compan

Awards
Damn, looks like there's definitely a fan base for Finish Line, looks like I'll be ordering that in the morning.
I am a fan of Very Cherry Lime. I think it's refreshing and a flavor iFN does very well. Rainbow Sherbet is also a great one. Closest flavor description I think I can come up with is if you took an entire bag of skittles and dumped it into a shaker, that's what it tastes like.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am a fan of Very Cherry Lime. I think it's refreshing and a flavor iFN does very well. Rainbow Sherbet is also a great one. Closest flavor description I think I can come up with is if you took an entire bag of skittles and dumped it into a shaker, that's what it tastes like.
That sounds AWESOME!

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes. along with all of the products mentioned here, my favorite is ergonine, although I have never tried Finish Line. Buying TMG in bulk is dirt cheap as well. I enjoy stacking it intra workout with taurine to help shuttle aminos.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A good pre workout should have it

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I usually just take it as a bulk ingredient, cheap as chips in Europe. For convenience, I put in my pre or post.

Finish Line looks like a good alternative, pretty much all the ingredients I put in there now as bulk ingredients.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rainbow Sherbet, no question!

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
When something is really cheap, and doesn't hurt, it's hard to say don't take it. When it has some really good data in the area of "health", it almost becomes a no brainer. But the performance aspect of TMG may be a little bit overstated, or at least reduntant. From Examine:

https://examine.com/supplements/trimethylglycine/

Finally, betaine has been recommended as a performance enhancing compound, although with quite unreliable results. When taken at 1.25g twice daily, betaine has at times been linked to increased power output (only to fail in other instances) and minor increases in workout volume and endurance (a bit more reliable than power output, but still not a consensus). The overall effect size or how much betaine benefits the subject seem to be quite small, and at this moment in time all studies finding benefit with betaine supplementation have been associated with Danisco (DuPont Nutrition) a producer of betaine. The benefit of TMG to physical exercise, even if assumed to be present, may have little to no practical relevance since Serum betaine is increased to a similar degree with 1g betaine as it is with 1g of Choline supplementation, and the latter may have some centrally acting (brain related) benefits to working out while possibly being cheaper. The theory that fits most with the observed benefits to physical performance (the osmolyte actions protecting a cell) is a mechanism not only able to be repeated with choline as mentioned earlier, but is a mechanism of action of Creatine; the lone study to evaluate the combination failed to find an additive effect of betaine on creatine's benefits.
I take it for possible general health benefits.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When something is really cheap, and doesn't hurt, it's hard to say don't take it. When it has some really good data in the area of "health", it almost becomes a no brainer. But the performance aspect of TMG may be a little bit overstated, or at least reduntant. From Examine:

https://examine.com/supplements/trimethylglycine/

I take it for possible general health benefits.
I read through that when I was deciding whether to go for it or not, but as you said, if it's cheap and doesn't hurt then why not.

dbuckley82

dbuckley82

Awards
  • Established
As usual, an interesting legitimate thread dissolves into a bunch of reps touting their products, using what is essentially cut and paste descriptions of ingredient information. How about giving first hand opinion and actual organic personal observations?
TMG is hard to quantify as far as effectiveness, unless you have added it solo to your training, as it is in so many pre's, all in ones, etc. The science seems legit, and it's cheap enough to warrant it an essential.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As usual, an interesting legitimate thread dissolves into a bunch of reps touting their products, using what is essentially cut and paste descriptions of ingredient information. How about giving first hand opinion and actual organic personal observations?
TMG is hard to quantify as far as effectiveness, unless you have added it solo to your training, as it is in so many pre's, all in ones, etc. The science seems legit, and it's cheap enough to warrant it an essential.
Compan provided exactly that, however it is nearly impossible for most to do as you said. ;)

offredjo

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I use Body Shop Nutrition's BETAINE which is bulk 100% pure BetaPower® Betaine. I've definitely noticed a slight difference since adding it to my daily routine and I like that they use BetaPower betaine which is the purest form I've seen yet.

compan

compan

Awards
Compan provided exactly that, however it is nearly impossible for most to do as you said. ;)
^ that.

My first post ITT. Sometimes it pays to read the whole posts instead of assuming every rep is just jerking off their product the entire post. I also don't see a problem with Finish Line here either but maybe I'm biased.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is a reason why most well formulated products are using it, 2.5 grams. The problem with TMG in some pre workouts is it may be a half serving, 1.25 grams, and if you double scoop, the caffeine and/or other stims may be too much. With that in mind, there are a few products that do contain it, that I would suggest:

PowerMax XT
Ergonine
Finish Line

Not only does it help with workout performance, but there are studies that show TMG being beneficial for improving body composition.

Bodybuilders who take a daily 2.5 g betaine [structural formula shown here] for six weeks will improve their body composition. Sports scientists from Coastal Carolina University draw this conclusion in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. But how betaine stimulates muscle build-up and fat breakdown at the same time remains a mystery.
http://www.ergo-log.com/betaine-gives-bodybuilders-more-muscle-and-less-fat.html

Athletes who take 2.5 g betaine daily and do intensive training increase their body's anabolic response to the workout. Sports scientists from the University of Connecticut write about the phenomenon in the European Journal of Applied Physiology.
http://www.ergo-log.com/the-anabolic-effect-of-betaine.html

Arm CSA increased significantly (p < .05) in BET but not PL. No differences existed between group and time for changes in thigh CSA. Back squat training volume increased significantly (p < .05) for both groups throughout training. Bench press training volume was significantly (p < .05) improved for BET compared to PL at microcycles one and three. Body composition (BF%, FM, LBM) improved significantly (p < .05) in BET but not PL
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3844502/

A dozen studies have now shown that trimethylglycine – which is the same as betaine – stimulates muscle growth. Italian researchers did in-vitro experiments with muscle cells and may have worked out how trimethylglycine achieves this effect. The Italians believe that trimethylglycine induces muscle cells to make more receptors for IGF-1.
http://www.ergo-log.com/trimethylglycine-stimulates-muscle-growth-via-igf-1.html