Too much BCAAs a thing?

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
Is it possible to have too much bcaas? Thinking about flavoring my unflavored EAAs with some Xtend for intraworkout, no big deal right? Would be around 20-25 grams of aminos (15 eaa/10 bcaa)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Is it possible to have too much bcaas? Thinking about flavoring my unflavored EAAs with some Xtend for intraworkout, no big deal right? Would be around 20-25 grams of aminos (15 eaa/10 bcaa)
There is a law of diminishing returns on almost any supplement we take. The need to go that high IMO is a little over the top.
You have to remember you stimulate MPS with around 3-5g of leucine. I know 1Fast400 states 10-14g of BCAA is a very good dose to utilize. I just don't see the need to have such a high amount especially when 90% of the people on here already train in a fed state. Therefore they got a huge bolus of aminos from whole food or a protein powder prior to training, and will then follow their workout with another meal that is high in BCAA's/EAA's from whole food/protein powder. If you were fasted 10-14g would be just fine pre/intra for peri-workout nutrition. Martin even writes that right off his leangains website

The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Too much BCAA's absolutely. Is it a big deal? Could be.. remember they do have calories, so you could just add them to your total caloric / protein intake for the day if you wish to go that route. Just like you can have too much of anything. Is it too much to take 3-4 scoops of a pre-workout? Is it to much to double dose the suggested servings on your fat burners and test boosters. You get the idea here.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like The Solution said, I'd aim for 3-5g leucine, plus sufficient EAAs (as leucine alone or even BCAAs alone isn't ideal). You don't need >20g of EAAs/BCAA though. If you want to add Xtend for flavoring or just more amino acids, you could just add 1 scoop (3.5g leucine, 7g BCAAs) and a decent (not insanely high) amount of you EAA powder to it. Off the top of my head, even adding just 3g of EAAs should be sufficient, and would likely give you a total of 10g EAAs and ~4g leucine between Xtend and the EAAs.

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
True i guess ill back off the eaas then to hit 20 g or less total

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I remember reading somewhere that drinking too many free amino acids causes GI distress

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
True i guess ill back off the eaas then to hit 20 g or less total
No need for more than 20g. Typically i see a lot of people just using 5-10g and that seems to work for them. Anymore than 20 and your just wasting it.