Tongkat Ali preworkout to blunt cortisol spike post-workout?

myuniverse1

Awards
Saw a few studies on Tongkat Ali, (Olympus Labs LJ100 being my favorite), and there was mention of 200mg Tongkat Ali preworkout inhibiting the rise of coritsol post-workout? I know some people use things like Cortisol blockers and what not, but would this be of any benefit?

The study was on Ergo-log (can't post links) and the direct quote:
"The Tongkat Ali supplementation didn't lower cortisol levels, but did inhibit the rise in these levels."

Thanks everyone! Just trying to do what I can do maximize productivity inside the gym!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
you DONT want to inhibit cortisol post workout. That spike and its effects are what help to make the damage to your muscles and such happen so that you force your body to repair and rebuild stronger for the next time.

When we recommend reduce xt, we always tell people NOT to dose around your workout specifically for that reason.

TSMilliner

Awards
Tongkat Ali is probably one of the best all around supplements to take on a regular basis IMO. The benefits go far beyond test boosting, as proven in numerous studies. It is an adaptogen as well as a test booster, aside from lowering stress hormones (cortisol, etc.) it also does wonders for blood pressure.
Personally I take it almost year round, generally cycling it 5 days on 2 days off, and then taking week or so off in between purchases. I generally buy it in bulk powder to save a few bucks, and choke it down with a sip of juice. Instead of a spoon, I have a small piece of a straw that I cut in half and stick the straw into the powder until it fills the end of the straw about the size of a large capsule. The stuff is very sticky and tastes not so good, but after a while it becomes almost an acquired taste so doesn't bother me.

I am not sure of the benefit of taking it preworkout vs as a daily supplement though and would be interested in any studies on the timing. My thoughts would be that if any benefit, it would seem better post workout after levels had spiked to help bring them back down.

it is a great post, as I don't think that most people pay nearly enough attention to their stress hormones as part of a workout regimen. Especially younger or less experienced lifters who want to spend 2 hours or more on a grueling workout basically spiking their levels each time and then wondering why they cannot gain weight or increase in strength.