Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my wife has been feeling down for about the last week and says she just wants to stay in the house...we both are against anti-depressants unless for extreme cases....so I bought a bottle of 5-htp today and am starting her out at low dose-1 cap 2xday.

any thoughts?

beerandon

beerandon

Awards
How many mg is each cap?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
How many mg is each cap?
just 50mg...I know that 50mg 2xday is very low dose, but she read up on possible sides so I'm starting her out really low.

beerandon

beerandon

Awards
just 50mg...I know that 50mg 2xday is very low dose, but she read up on possible sides so I'm starting her out really low.
Start low because it really affected me negatively after a while at high doses. The lower the better as long as effects are showing after a few weeks.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Start low because it really affected me negatively after a while at high doses. The lower the better as long as effects are showing after a few weeks.
exactly my thinking, thanks!!!

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
I did this in high school and high doses are not good . Run it low for a few weeks with some L carnitine and decent carbs .
How is her vitamin D level ? I found 8000 iu of vit d extremely effective against winter blues .

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I did this in high school and high doses are not good . Run it low for a few weeks with some L carnitine and decent carbs .
How is her vitamin D level ? I found 8000 iu of vit d extremely effective against winter blues .
I can't start adding a bunch of stuff right away, I really had to twist her arm to get her to try the 5-htp. maybe if she sees results from the 5-htp I can get her to try some vit d!!!

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
I can't start adding a bunch of stuff right away, I really had to twist her arm to get her to try the 5-htp. maybe if she sees results from the 5-htp I can get her to try some vit d!!!
Just my .02 cents . Either way I hope everything evens out .

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can pubmed/google scholar some relevant info on 5-htp and depression. It has shown effects on mild depression. Be careful of the dosages and be smart about use.

Thefatbloke

Awards
  • Established
I'd suggest adding in Vit D and some fish oil, which as well as being anti-depressant are good for general health.
Starting an exercise regimen may help and even creatine is anti- depressant in women.
Agmatine is another thing to consider adding in.

All of these are supplements or supplemental to healthy diet and lifestyle and traditional medicine. She should consult her GP and explain that she doesn't want pharma anti-depressants. There are alternatives such as mindfulness training or CBT that are effective treatments and can help prevent future relapses.

Good luck and best wishes

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good Luck BigT I wish you and your wife the best.

The best thing my wife did to elevate her mood was Retirement!!

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have tried 5-HTP in many dosages and also in a time-release tablet. Taken in the daytime, it always put me in a brain fog and made me more likely to stay in the house/bed. Hence the reason it works fairly well in nighttime sleep formulas. Bottom line, I do not think it would be a successful choice. SAM-e could do wonders, or Lithium Orotate as far as natural supplements go.
Aside from that, energy always makes me feel so much better! Would she be up for running a bottle or two of OL IGNIT3? She would benefit from the SJW and the energizing/slightly euphoric effects that come with IGNIT3. Add this in with some cardio (if not already doing so) and she may start feeling much better before she knows it!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
my wife has been feeling down for about the last week and says she just wants to stay in the house...we both are against anti-depressants unless for extreme cases....so I bought a bottle of 5-htp today and am starting her out at low dose-1 cap 2xday.

any thoughts?
A week or so isn't very long. Is it possible that she's just having a bad week and needs a few days to recover from it? "Feeling down" is fairly common for people this time of year.