Suppversity: Glycine for your gains...

macwad

Awards
  • Established
This article from Suppversity "Glycine for Your Gains? Glycine Boosts Protein Synthesis (80%), Reduces Protein Degradation (-30%) in Muscle Cells" (Glycine for Your Gains? Glycine Boosts Protein Synthesis (80%), Reduces Protein Degradation (-30%) in Muscle Cells - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone) is very interesting!
Worth reading.

Thoughts on this?
Does anyone know how much glycine in humans would equals the amount used in the research?
Glycine is so cheap, seems worth trying...

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I saw this - does this mean protein spiking was actually helping our gains!!?? haha

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Glycine is decent for better sleep, but that's about all I have found.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, glycine is a major component in collagen also - I would assume that more glycine would help build stronger tendons and possible muscle cells if you were in a deficient state, but I think that would be difficult with the levels of protein most weight lifters try to get each day.

macwad

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, glycine is a major component in collagen also - I would assume that more glycine would help build stronger tendons and possible muscle cells if you were in a deficient state, but I think that would be difficult with the levels of protein most weight lifters try to get each day.
From the article: "... by the way, the negative nitrogen balance persisted when the older women who participated in this 2-week study consumed a whey supplement"
And: "Similarly, providing more protein in form of whey protein may further augment your protein synthesis via mTOR increases. What it does not do, however, is to affect the MuRF1 and atrogin-1 mRNA levels. "
So, it seems whey alone is not optimal. Glycine can diminish the catabolism.

macwad

Awards
  • Established
By the way, the typical amount of glycine in whey is 1,84%.
So, in 30g of whey, there is around 0,55g of glycine... so, very little amount.
If we add, say 3g, the amount of glycine would be 6x higher, and the catabolism could be greatly diminished.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Why is noone commenting that this was found in pigs? Or that protein synthesis is just one part if the equation? You need substrate to actually build muscle.

Pigs /= humans

I feel that people place far too much emphasis on protein synthesis, assuming that if you stack 5-10 things that all tout to increase protein synthesis, that you will boost it by 1,000,000% and become hulk overnight. But protein synthesis has a ceiling: http://suppversity.blogspot.co.nz/2015/02/more-evidence-of-ceiling-effect-for.html

Moreover, it is only one part of the equation: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/140/11/1970.short

macwad

Awards
  • Established
Why is noone commenting that this was found in pigs? Or that protein synthesis is just one part if the equation? You need substrate to actually build muscle.

Pigs /= humans

I feel that people place far too much emphasis on protein synthesis, assuming that if you stack 5-10 things that all tout to increase protein synthesis, that you will boost it by 1,000,000% and become hulk overnight. But protein synthesis has a ceiling: http://suppversity.blogspot.co.nz/2015/02/more-evidence-of-ceiling-effect-for.html

Moreover, it is only one part of the equation: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/140/11/1970.short
Well, pigs is better than mice... and "in young pigs (Wang. 2014a,b) - an excellent model of human metabolism.".

The effect on protein synthesis is very interesting but the greatest impact was in reducing catabolism... 30% less... way better than whey according with the study

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Well, pigs is better than mice... and "in young pigs (Wang. 2014a,b) - an excellent model of human metabolism.".

The effect on protein synthesis is very interesting but the greatest impact was in reducing catabolism... 30% less... way better than whey according with the study
They use pigs for human nutrition often, but they do not apply directly to human metabolism (have good crossover on somethings given the similarities of the gut, but somethings can be expressed higher) : http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/pdf/10.1146/annurev.nu.07.070187.002045

This applies mostly to the rate in which MPS and MSB occur.

anabolix

Awards
  • Established
One thing I'm suprised no one has mentioned, is that there is a big difference between taking glycine by itself vs taking glycine along with a bunch of other amino acids (protein shake). Individual aminos taken by themselves have much different effects than they do when taken with other aminos.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Glycine is a good counter to L-Methionine too. High levels of L-Methionine have been linked to faster cell aging, and as a community, we eat the sh^t out of protein :D I take a few grams with every meal, as well as before bed for sleep. It's pretty cheap in bulk, and makes a great sweetener too!

macwad

Awards
  • Established
One thing I'm suprised no one has mentioned, is that there is a big difference between taking glycine by itself vs taking glycine along with a bunch of other amino acids (protein shake). Individual aminos taken by themselves have much different effects than they do when taken with other aminos.
Good catch!
I'll start supplementing with it and will remember to take it by itself, probably before bed, as others mentioned it helps falling sleep.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Listened to a podcast about Glycine and decided to give it a shot as it is cheap as chips. After some research and recommendations, I put about 7g in my post workout and 3g before sleep. Only after three days, my sleep is better and my tendons feel healthier. Placebo?

Anybody else still using glycine?

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
wasn't there a study a few years back when they gave ppl either water, whey, or whey plus glycine and something else......the whey and glycine group ended up gaining more muscle, I may be off with the study but I could of sworn something was floating around saying something about glycine with whey and the benefits

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I remember when Patrick Arnold made this popular, never noticed anything game changing.