Potassium nitrate and muscle cramps

bashar

bashar

Awards
  • Established
I got sever muscle cramps three hours after my chest workout "almost like electic shocks!". I have added OL Hydro to my preworkout stack. IDo you think potassium nitrate is causing this, or something else?

Jakey

Awards
I suffer from post work-out cramps a lot and the consistent factors (for me) is not being hydrated enough before I start working out and / or training too long.

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would think the addition of Potassium, even in nitrate form, would potentially help with cramps, not cause them. Is it possible you may have been even slightly dehydrated for any reason on the day or day before the workout? Has this happened more than once?

One other theory might be that since nitrates reduce the oxygen cost of exercise and thus can support working out harder and/or for longer, you may have pushed yourself harder than you're used to?

bashar

bashar

Awards
  • Established
Could be dehydration issues, I forgot the weather is very hot here. As for pushing hard, yes, did super sets of bench presses and wide grip pull ups alt, maybe my body is telling me to stop the abuse!

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I would definitely make sure your hydrated before during and after workout to avoid cramps.

bashar

bashar

Awards
  • Established
Pre and Hydro both have hydromax glycerol that sucks the water too...