Calling all chemists K-ALA+NAC+Idebenone= Sulfur Smell?!?

D

dego

Awards
I decided to make an all purpose anti-ox combo with some supps I had laying around. I mixed K-ALA, N-acetyl-cysteine HCL, and Idebenone with the plan to have 100mg, 500mg, 100mg of each respectively, per capsule. After mixing these 3 supps I started smelling sulfur. I know that NAC is sulfur bearing so something is reacting with the NAC. My question to the chemist is what is reacting and is the potentially hazardous?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
My NAC from Bulk already smells like sulfur.

I'm not a chemist, only a chem. engineer, but I would say it's not a problem. Likely the cysteine denaturing, which is only an efficacy problem. Unless it can make H2S....

E

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
I've mixed NAC with Ideb and didn't notice any sulfur emission. It could be a reaction from the krala but I tend to doubt it. I've found that it's best to cap each separately so you can adjust dosing as needed, albeit somewhat limitedly. That's also quite a potent anti-oxidant combo so I'm wondering if it would create a pro-oxidant effect similiar to overdosing a anti-ox. You could probably drop the krala though I know many will disagree with me.

Add some ALCAR to that combo and you'll notice a nice effect.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
My NAC got stinky (sounds dirty, I know) after I mixed and capped it with standardize milk thistle.

BuckeyeMuscle

BuckeyeMuscle

Awards
  • Established
NAC is derived from the sulfur-containing amino acid, cysteine.....hence its sulfur smell.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My NAC from Bulk already smells like sulfur.

I'm not a chemist, only a chem. engineer, but I would say it's not a problem. Likely the cysteine denaturing, which is only an efficacy problem. Unless it can make H2S....
Right on the NAC. If you're mixing dry powders to be placed in a capsule, they're not gonna react (at a rate that would be noticeable this lifetime).

If it's making H2S, you'll soon know because your eyes will burn at a concentration of 10ppm. So yeah, HIGHLY unlikely.