L-Carnitine question.

xo0ox

xo0ox

Awards
Quick question.

Are L-Carnitine L-Tartrate the same as L-Carnitine Tartrate?
The last is missing the L. Are some manufactures just lazy not writing the whole name or are there different forms of Tartare?

I often read that in the world off supplements the devil is in the details so i might as well ask :)

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They are the same compound, don't worry. The "L" in front just means it's the free form version of the amino acid.

xo0ox

xo0ox

Awards
They are the same compound, don't worry. The "L" in front just means it's the free form version of the amino acid.
Yes i know that the L in front of Carnitine means that it's free form but the L in front of Tartrate?
Does this means that the Tartrate is in free form in one product (that has the L-Tartrate) and in another form in the other (that has only Tartrate)?
Or are they the same only that some manufactures skip to write L-Tartrate and only write Tartrate?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
A recent SHR episode had Mauro DiPasquale do a whole show on all forms of Carnitine. IIRC, the form doesn't really matter (but go listen to be sure), but he did recommend 4g/Day: 3g of Whatever (he said LCLT is used a lot in studies just because it is quickly assimilated) and 1g of Acetyl L-Carnitine.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I understand acetyl is different than the non-acetyl when it comes to Carnitine.

L-Carnitine energy boost via glucose relase. I use it on those long exterior training sessions. Apparently also a "fat burner"-whatever that means.

Acetyl-L-Carnitine is a brain health supplement.

Family member with TBI using a lot of brain health supps. lately and so noticed the difference when researching.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I definitely notice more of a focus effect with ALCAR. However, as others said, from a carnitine supplementation standpoint there isn't much difference.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I definitely notice more of a focus effect with ALCAR. However, as others said, from a carnitine supplementation standpoint there isn't much difference.
This is due to the acetylation process Which allows ALCAR to easily cross the blood brain barrier.

Additionally, the acetal group attached to the also forms the backbone of the neurotransmitter Acetylcholine, aka the "learning" neurotransmitter which helps with memory formation and focus.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recall reading one study that found ALCAR was more effective at reducing mental fatigue, while propionylcarnitine improved general fatigue more. Both improved attention concentration (subjects with chronic fatigue syndrome).

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
LCLT and ALCAR are both great forms, use the latter for cognitive benefit

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Weight Loss 5
Supplements 13
Supplements 1
Serious Nutrition Solutions 19
Supplement Logs 0