Sleep Support - Getting Off Melatonin - Suggestions?

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been taking melatonin pretty consistently for a few years and want to get off. My biggest sleep issue probably stems from bad habits before bed (ipad, reading good books, not winding down properly) and I'm ready to tackle this head on. I don't want to rely on ANY supplements; that's the goal. In the meantime, is there any supplement (besides ZMA) that is recommended that doesn't contain things like melatonin or phenibut. Something I could take 3-4 nights a week until I ween off completely?

I'm also going to start a 21 day meditation app to help. I will not use pharma pills and I feel I don't need them; I don't have major anxiety or depression or anything like that. I do get mild anxiety from time-to-time, but who doesn't.

Cheers!

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
100-200mg L-Theanine, 100-200mg 5-HTP, and 500mg Relora. It's what I've been using. It's not addictive, etc. and has helped my sleep quality a lot.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
ZMA, as you mentioned, is highly under-rated for sleep. It may surprise you.

GABA is another great supplement for sleep - and you can use it regularly. It's not "supposed" to work, but take 1-2 grams of it and tell me that it doesn't.

Ashwagandha should also be on your list.

MA70's suggestions are also in most people's list, but I haven't had great success.

If you really want to get off, diphenhydramine may be your best bet. It will knock you out, and it is not addictive. Downside is you may have to cycle it as it stops working.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
100-200mg L-Theanine, 100-200mg 5-HTP, and 500mg Relora. It's what I've been using. It's not addictive, etc. and has helped my sleep quality a lot.
I really like this list. As an alternative, I would say:
200mg 5-htp
300-500 mg PS
500 mg Relora

Not to plug a product, but OL Vitality and 5-htp before bed is awesome.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
To add to the above: Valerian, Taurine, Glycine.

Dmj8379

Awards
It has phenibut becareful... only use 2 or 3 times a week

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Seems like there are some constants on here that I will look into.

Regarding products with phenibut, I've read the stories about it and agree, I don't want to take something that messes too much with my brain chemistry. The ultimate goal is to get back to a quality sleep without ANY supplements. I'll try some of the ones suggested.

As a general rule, I usually cycle everything three weeks on and one off. I know some say, "don't need to cycle" this or that, but I prefer to be as natural as possible and be judicious with supplementation.

Any more suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!