rebound effect on vitamin c?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I have been taking vitamin c for sometime now and i can definitely say i never get sick.. i usually take 1500 mg spread out over 3 dosages of 500 mg. but what i have noticed, is the two times that i did get sick were both times were i didnt take vitamin c for like a week straight. could your body get dependent on the vitamin c and when you come off drop your immune system very low? kind of a disappointment!

50joe

Awards
  • Established
I have no 'real' evidence for this, sorry,

But when i first came to college, I didn't have money at first to buy supps, and I took vit C a lot, for at least 2 years regularly. I never got sick for like the 2 months I couldnt supplelment. Just my 2cents.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
There is so much conflicting content debating vitamin C and it's effectiveness as an immune system supporting agent. I've advocated mega dosing in the past with vitamin C at a gram per hour while sick and otherwise using it daily to boost immune fuction. After further research I'm at a stand still to tell you the truth. There is no one on this board with enough knowledge in my opinion to really give full knowledge of vitamins and minerals in terms of their dosages, conflictions, sources, etc. There used to be a member back in the day 3 years ago on BB.com (ironically enough) who dedicated most of his time to vitamin and mineral research. His results and dosing schedule (from various sources) was rather unreasonable for the average individual, although, his reasoning was based on an ungodly amount of research. Back to vitamin C....which, is the point I am headed towards, is become a synonym for ascorbic acid. If you do some searching, ascorbic acid is far from being considered vitamin C. It is produced synthetically in a lab and is just one part of the actually vitamin. To date, as I understand it, there is nothing produced in a lab that fully can be accepted as vitamin C. The only pure source is from natural products, fruits, vegetables etc. This whole idea throws a hitch in the entire megadosing principle. Like I said above, I honestly don't know where I stand right now which varying sources of info. I've had results megadosing to combat illness and for use of immune system support. Whether or not the results are coincidence is another issue. I suppose the bottom line is that your usage of ascorbic acid isn't going to hurt you and if it does produce results whether physically or pyschologically is irrelevant.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Nice update Daddy. I have become a firm believer that megadosing vit. C helps to boost my immune system, but I am not a firm believer that it helps speed up the recovery process once already sick. I've experienced the same patterns as you have Lake.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
There used to be a member back in the day 3 years ago on BB.com (ironically enough) who dedicated most of his time to vitamin and mineral research. His results and dosing schedule (from various sources) was rather unreasonable for the average individual, although, his reasoning was based on an ungodly amount of research. Back to vitamin C....which, is the point I am headed towards, is become a synonym for ascorbic acid. If you do some searching, ascorbic acid is far from being considered vitamin C. It is produced synthetically in a lab and is just one part of the actually vitamin. To date, as I understand it, there is nothing produced in a lab that fully can be accepted as vitamin C. The only pure source is from natural products, fruits, vegetables etc. This whole idea throws a hitch in the entire megadosing principle.
But aren't most of our supplements made in a lab? The idea behind synthesized chems is to mimic what nature gives us....to the extreme. Vitamin C is no exception. My personal experience with Vit C is that I've been "megadosing" for a year now. I'm usually the first one to get sick due to overtaxing my body with BB'ing. I started taking 3000mg Vit C (ascorbic acid) 3 X per day. This has been the worst year that I've witnessed as far as everyone around me getting sick. I've somehow escaped all illness this Winter. Everyone keeps telling me that my number will come up but I've skated on through. I can think of no other reason than the extra Vit C for staving off colds and flues this year. I stopped taking it when I went on vacation and didn't have any problems...but that was only for a week.

I've advocated mega dosing in the past with vitamin C at a gram per hour while sick and otherwise using it daily to boost immune fuction.
Wouldn't that give you the squirts?

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've had pretty good results mega dosing, honestly even seems to help once I'm already sick (if it's viral, anyway). 12-16 grams a day certainly lessens the symptoms, but I won't take that more than 2-3 days straight. A gram an hour gives me gas, but not squirts or stomach upset. I try to taper on and off C, and only mega dose when I'm starting to feel sick. Usually, after I taper down, I do seem to get a rebound of the cold or virus I've been fighting off, but it's not full blown. Almost more like C holds the infection at bay rather than defeating it, if that makes sense.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I take 2grams daily, time released, no adverse affects, not had a cold in a long time.

I have read high dosing C and stopping suddenly can cause rebound scurvy...

Picked this up from the Linus Pauling Institute:

Toxicity
A number of possible problems with very large doses of vitamin C have been suggested, mainly based on in vitro experiments or isolated case reports, including: genetic mutations, birth defects, cancer, atherosclerosis, kidney stones, "rebound scurvy", increased oxidative stress, excess iron absorption, vitamin B-12 deficiency, and erosion of dental enamel. However, none of these adverse health effects have been confirmed, and there is no reliable scientific evidence that large amounts of vitamin C (up to 10 grams/day in adults) are toxic or detrimental to health. With the latest RDA published in 2000, a tolerable upper intake level (UL) for vitamin C was set for the first time. A UL of 2 grams (2,000 milligrams) daily was recommended in order to prevent most adults from experiencing diarrhea and gastrointestinal disturbances (6). Such symptoms are not generally serious, especially if they resolve with temporary discontinuation or reduction of high-dose vitamin C supplementation. .

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
But aren't most of our supplements made in a lab? The idea behind synthesized chems is to mimic what nature gives us....to the extreme. Vitamin C is no exception. My personal experience with Vit C is that I've been "megadosing" for a year now. I'm usually the first one to get sick due to overtaxing my body with BB'ing. I started taking 3000mg Vit C (ascorbic acid) 3 X per day. This has been the worst year that I've witnessed as far as everyone around me getting sick. I've somehow escaped all illness this Winter. Everyone keeps telling me that my number will come up but I've skated on through. I can think of no other reason than the extra Vit C for staving off colds and flues this year. I stopped taking it when I went on vacation and didn't have any problems...but that was only for a week.

Yeah most are made in a lab to mimic the true natural vitamin. But as in the case with Vitamin E, they say that the synthetic form of it doesn't really have any effect whatsoever, or so it has been suggested, I don't have the study's with my right now but if I find them I will post them.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established

Yes, many supplements are white powder chemicals synthed in a lab however ascorbic acid is not a substitute for what we regard as Vitamin C. I've been searching for a really good article I read explaining the difference between natural and synthetic vitamins. It should help shed some light.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't recommend ascorbic acid for Vit. C supplementation. Go with mineral ascorbates and ascorbyl palmitate(my personal favorite).

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
There is so much conflicting content debating vitamin C and it's effectiveness as an immune system supporting agent. I've advocated mega dosing in the past with vitamin C at a gram per hour while sick and otherwise using it daily to boost immune fuction. After further research I'm at a stand still to tell you the truth. There is no one on this board with enough knowledge in my opinion to really give full knowledge of vitamins and minerals in terms of their dosages, conflictions, sources, etc.
I would look here:
http://www.lef.org/research/directoryofinnovativeclinics04.html#vitc

If you are really interested about vit C, you could go there and ask for a consultancy ;)