Sucralose in Supplements

Hack75

Hack75

Awards
Hey guys,

My cousin and I were just talking about Sucralose as a flavoring in things like Ergonine, pre workouts, BCAAs, protein, etc.

What's the general concerns on its safety and long term regular use? I say "long term regular use" because most of us here typically use it in one or more forms a day (pre workout, BCAAs,protein shakes)

My advice to him was that a normal persons diet includes significant amounts of processed sugar- and that what we do isn't as bad. That's only a partial answer.

Thoughts

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
6. Safety

(1) Acute Toxicity Studies - Rats and mice received a single oral dose of sucralose at 10.0g/kg and 16.0g/kg, respectively. The administration was by gavage. No deaths were observed during the 14-day observation period. The LD50 was estimated at more than 10.0g/kg for rats and more than 16.0g/kg for mice.

(2) Subacute Toxicity Studies - No deaths were observed of rats fed sucralose in the diet at levels of 10,000, 25,000 and 50,000 ppm for 4 weeks. Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus was observed in the 50,000 ppm group. Rats exposed to sucralose at dietary concentrations of 4 and 8% for 9 weeks exhibited a reduced growth rate and increased cecal weights. For rats exposed to oral (gavage) doses of 2,000, 3,000 and 4,000 mg/kg for 4, 9, and 13 weeks, increased cecal weights were observed in all groups, but there was no apparent toxicological significance. Increased cecal weights observed in these studies were reported in animals exposed to less-absorbable osmotically-active substances at high dose levels and toxicological significance was considered to be low. In addition, no remarkable changes were noted in an oral 34-day toxicity study in mice.

(3) Repeated Dose (Chronic) Toxicology and Carcinogenicity Studies (Tons of data in this secction = No harm - T_O_G)
The HED of the 16g/Kg Mouse dose is ~1.3g/Kg - meaning a 220lb man can safely consume 130g of Sucralose acutely. Sucralose is 600 times sweeter than sugar.

I don't worry about it.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The HED of the 16g/Kg Mouse dose is ~1.3g/Kg - meaning a 220lb man can safely consume 130g of Sucralose acutely. Sucralose is 600 times sweeter than sugar.

I don't worry about it.
You and your scientific studies. Don't you know it is all a conspiracy? Forget that you could get a rat and test this yourself. They just don't want you to know how bad this stuff is for you. It is MAN MADE! It isn't what God intended. So it must be bad. You are so dumb.

Sarcasm of course.