Pre and post workout supplements

Davegorwill

Awards
Hello

I'm not a massive gym person but have enjoying going to the gym and results I have been getting.
I used to use a pre and post kre-alkaline tablets as were reccomeneded to me, I can no longer get these anymore.
So I have been doing research into getting some new supliments but don't really know what is best for me??
My gym goals are just to add muscle and I have a protein shake after my work out.
I have looked into ibcaa's and a pre work out mix which is just creatine I think for extra energy??
Sorry if it's a stupid question but am clueless and any other advice would be good.

Regards

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
No need to apologize man, that's what the forums are for! Most pre workouts contain a stimulant (typically caffeine) to provide energy, and other ingredients to help with mental focus, muscle endurance, and blood flow for muscle pumps. Most of these products provide you with some creatine as well.

There are also other non-stimulant preworkouts that are geared more toward endurance and muscle pumps. It really depends on what you're looking for in a pre workout product. I would recommend looking at Hypermax XT from Performax Labs. Hypermax is a stimulant based preworkout that contains caffeine and eria jarensis extract, which help with energy and mental focus.

For a non-stim pre, you could take a look at Cre-max. This product contains a full serving of creatine that would work well to replace your kre-alkaline tablets. I think either product would be great for you, depending on your goals and intentions with taking a preworkout.

As far as BCAA's and post workout products go, there are tons of products out there. They aren't 100% necessary IMO, as long as you are eating enough protein and hitting your macronutrient/calorie intake each day.

jev871

jev871

Awards
How sensitive are you too stimulants?

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
WHAT I would do is look into the Iforce Nutrition line

They have a non stim pre workout (Hemavo2 Max) and a NEWLY created and released post workout product (Finish Line)

Both of these will give you are of your daily requirements for BCAAs, creatine, beta alanine, etc in 2 readily available products.

Davegorwill

Awards
Thanks for the advice and replies!
I'm not a person who feels I need an extra energy boost at the gym but I can struggle with getting enough protein as it's difficult to eat in my job,
So I am leaning towards ibcaa's, I'm from the uk and was looking at the the one from Olympus health , is that any good?
My goals are just to build up a little but not get "ripped" as I have said I don't eat right for that look lol,
I'm very lucky as I do show quick!
But I I go for ibcaa's is it correct to take it pre and post work out?
And the main Benidorm of taking it is to not damage muscle an to increase protein into the muscle post work out?

Thanks again

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
If you're struggling to get enough protein, you can always add in an extra protein shake or two throughout the day. Its hard for me to eat whole food meals at work too, so shakes make it easy to get my protein in. I've honestly never heard of Olympus health. With BCAA's, read the label and make sure you are getting at least 2g of leucine per 5g of powder. Leucine is the amino acid that signals protein synthesis that will help with muscle growth and recovery. Taking them pre and post workout would be a good option, and you could also drink them during your workout as well. If you are drinking a protein shake post workout, I would skip the BCAAs post workout. Your protein shake will supply you with BCAA's. Brands I would recommend would be Xtend by Scivation, or just bulk unflavored BCAA powder (will be your cheapest option).

As far as the preworkouts go, I think that Cremax would be a great option for you to use as a preworkout. If you don't need extra energy then Cremax XT would be a great product to provide you with a full serving or creatine, and glycerol and taurine for pumps in the gym. Creamax XT also contains an electroyle blend to keep you feeling energized during your workout. I would highly recommend this to boost your strength, performance, and endurance during your workouts.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here is ALL you need for post workout supplementation...seriously, 1 product that contains FULL doses of all the best ingredients:

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the advice and replies!
I'm not a person who feels I need an extra energy boost at the gym but I can struggle with getting enough protein as it's difficult to eat in my job,
So I am leaning towards ibcaa's, I'm from the uk and was looking at the the one from Olympus health , is that any good?
My goals are just to build up a little but not get "ripped" as I have said I don't eat right for that look lol,
I'm very lucky as I do show quick!
But I I go for ibcaa's is it correct to take it pre and post work out?
And the main Benidorm of taking it is to not damage muscle an to increase protein into the muscle post work out?

Thanks again
honestly, it sounds like your biggest need is dietary maintenance. If you can't get your diet right, no supplement will ever be helpful enough to make much difference. Diet and training account for about 95% of any gains and fat loss... supplements maybe 2-3% at best.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey, man. Welcome to the forum. There's tons of great options so you just need to look into things and see what would benefit you the most. Look into Controlled Labs Green Magnitude (creatine & TMG for muscle growth) and Purple Wraath you can take intra-workout (BCAA/EAA and other ergogenic aids for recovery/endurance). If you feel you need a pre, grab White Rapids. Fully dosed. Plenty in store in terms of energy and endurance. You can grab samples of all of them in the Controlled Labs section.

TrainerTone

TrainerTone

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd check out iForce Nutrition Hemavo2 which is a stim free pwo that will provide you with plenty of pump and focus. Also look into Finish Line which has a ton of ingredients that are beneficial when taken daily. 2 top notch products. Also Protean is a protein powder with a very nice profile. Comes in amazing flavors such as Blueberry Muffin, RVC and BSMOC.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Another vote for CreMax XT. Like John mentioned, it contains a full serving of creatine, taurine and glycerol. The amento and Creatinol-O-Phosphate pre workout will also aid in overall gym performance and recovery. It is a great all in one product that can be used pre workout or as an everyday product.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My advice would be to experiment with some different pre workouts until you find the right one that you like. I like mesomorph by APS or Wild thing by Assault labs. They are both great. For intra workout there are a ton of different aminos out there and bcaa products. Truthfully just go with one that tastes decent and has some of the main aminos in it. For creatine I would mix 5g monohydrate into your pre workout shake. I like pes select for my post workout protein. Once you've got this figured out you can experiment with some natural anabolics like an epicatechin product, anabeta elite or x gels. This is actually the path i took and Have had great results. I hope this helps.

jev871

jev871

Awards
As Vaughn said, I think something like the iforce finish line will be you best bet..

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pre:
iForce Max Out
APS Mesomorph
Controlled Labs White Rapids
Formutech Nutrition VOLATILE

Intra (not necessary if you're eating before and after, but may help):

iForce Compete
Formutech Endurance BCAA
Controlled Labs Purple Wraath
Prime Intra-MD (also loaded with carbs to go with BCAAs)
MAN Sports ISO-Amino

Since you said you're having problems getting enough protein, check out these Whey Proteins
-iForce Protean
-Cellucor COR-Whey
-Blue Star Whey Smooth
-PES Select

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Look into myprotein. They have a HUGE selection of high protein foods and a lot of other goodies in the UK store that they haven't brought to US. The cheapest protein you'll get for the profile. Double chocolate is tasty too
They also have creatine, ibcaa, etc.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
id rec

preworkout

cup of coffee or green tea or a caffeine tab (if you must , but i rec coffee or green tea over it)
and small protein drink with: 3g creatine mono, 1gtaurine, some carbs like dextrose.

post workout
i rec protein drink with the same as above but a bit more carbs^

Davegorwill

Awards
Wow so glad I joined this forum as learning a lot!
I have brought some ibcaa's but will look into cremax but not to sure where I can get it in the uk??
Like I have said I know my diet is no what it should r for someone wanted to get ripped but I am someone who is a 11 stone 3lbs and don't look bad but can ipeove and show quickly! But wanting something jut o add to my workout,
Went to gym first one yesterday for first time not taking my pre wok out krey alkaline so think I need something or that extra push, can I get cremax form anywhere in the uk?
Also ibcaa's pre, intra and post?? It's the 2:1:1 formula for 5g scoop

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I have brought some ibcaa's but will look into cremax but not to sure where I can get it in the uk??
Like I have said I know my diet is no what it should r for someone wanted to get ripped but I am someone who is a 11 stone 3lbs and don't look bad but can ipeove and show quickly! But wanting something jut o add to my workout,
Went to gym first one yesterday for first time not taking my pre wok out krey alkaline so think I need something or that extra push, can I get cremax form anywhere in the uk?
Glad you're learning brother. Take a look at the forum sponsors, under the "Stores" tab at the top. I know Strong Supplement Shop and Nutriverse ship internationally, but there are most likely other stores that will ship to the UK too. Also take a look at Lockout Supplements, they are having a huge sale on the entire Performax Labs line until Feb. 12.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
PHW supplements ships international and our rates are usually pretty solid.

SNS creatine mono is about as cheap a supp as you can find.

If you're looking for something with some actual kick to it, SNS focus xt has a decent bit of stims combined with an intense focus blend that will really get you dialed in.

As for bcaas, timing depends mostly on diet. If you train fasted, dose 5-10g pre, intra, and post (unless you eat post, in that case just pre/intra). If you eat pre workout (say within 3-4hrs) don't bother pre. Just dose intra and post (unless eating post, same as above).

Davegorwill

Awards
Back again ... It's like a mine field lol!!!
Cremax or cremax xt and if its unflavoured could you mix with pre ibcaa's ?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Creamax XT comes unflavored and in Orange Dream flavor. Either one could be mixed in with bcaas. The orange flavor tastes great and mixes well with other flavored products, and you could always go the unflavored route.

compan

compan

Awards
You can mix creatine with BCAAs if that is more convenient for you.

Chalk up another vote for Finish Line with me. Perfect post-workout supp that you could even drink intra if you wanted. It contains both creatine and BCAAs for you.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
creatine is slightly better absorbed during the post workout period... I would dose it then instead of pre. There is no acute boost to be seen from creatine anyways

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can mix it with BCAA, but I would just take it either pre or post. The difference between the two CreMax products is that CreMax is the original formula which is just a creatine formula with a hydration and recovery blend. The newer XT version is a better overall product that contains the same ingredients as the original plus Glycerol and Amento. The newer version is better in the sense that it also will help with your performance in the gym. The Orange Dream flavor is very good, but if you want to mix CreMax XT with a pre workout product or anything else, we have the unflavored option.

In terms of BCAA products, I would say save your money unless you are having trouble hitting your protein requirement train fasted or have a large window between your pre and post workout meal.