Question for my fellow ethical bros

Sculptor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Long story short, I ordered multiple ergonine products from PES during the last insider for the new flavors.
When my shipment arrived, I found it to be missing one ergonine unit and instead a high volume unit was in its place.
Not too worried, as I've dealt with PES customer service before and it went incredibly smoothly, I emailed them and asked for the missing unit. In quick form as usual, my email was returned and a separate shipping confirmation was sent affirming the missing unit.
The email from customer service apologized about the mistake, confirmed the new shipment and asked that I bring the high volume unit to my local fed ex and send it back.
My Question: while I understand that I did not pay for the high volume, should I really be required to take the time and the drive to my local fed ex to ship it back?
I mean, it wasn't my mistake, and the whole reason I order online is out of time constraints and the convenience of having the shops come to my door.
I ask because I respect PES as a company and don't want to be a turd. But I'm torn because I feel that the mistake was on their part and I shouldn't have to take the time and effort to send it back.

What do you guys think?

mattierocks

mattierocks

Awards
  • Established
I feel you on this one! I'm actually surprised that they asked for it back... That said, they did. For that reason, I believe you probably should send it back. I assume they're covering shipping, so just find a good time that is convenient for you and ship it back. Sorry man!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Long story short, I ordered multiple ergonine products from PES during the last insider for the new flavors.
When my shipment arrived, I found it to be missing one ergonine unit and instead a high volume unit was in its place.
Not too worried, as I've dealt with PES customer service before and it went incredibly smoothly, I emailed them and asked for the missing unit. In quick form as usual, my email was returned and a separate shipping confirmation was sent affirming the missing unit.
The email from customer service apologized about the mistake, confirmed the new shipment and asked that I bring the high volume unit to my local fed ex and send it back.
My Question: while I understand that I did not pay for the high volume, should I really be required to take the time and the drive to my local fed ex to ship it back?
I mean, it wasn't my mistake, and the whole reason I order online is out of time constraints and the convenience of having the shops come to my door.
I ask because I respect PES as a company and don't want to be a turd. But I'm torn because I feel that the mistake was on their part and I shouldn't have to take the time and effort to send it back.

What do you guys think?
Really? This whole thread has a face palm all over it...

Here's a story for you. A long time ago, before Nutraplanet switched owners and underwent their changes, I made an order of their 500 caps of fish oil and several other products. I got home from class and found two boxes. I ordered a good amount, but figured it would be in one box. I opened both packages and they were the exact same thing. For some reason, they duplicated them. I contacted them and drove the package back to FedEx. They gave me a credit for being honest.

This isn't a question of ethics, but rather a question of character. Do the right thing, bring it back and call it a day.

Sculptor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Right on. I hear you guys. That's why I asked, was curious what people thought. I clearly stated I was torn and am not trying to get away with anything. I spend my days negotiating major deals with other businesses on a daily basis. Due to this I am used to the deals being "sweetened." Time is money in my job and industry, but I will return the product. I actually already have a tub, so it's not a question of greed. Just was surprised to see the response I got from PES.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As long as PES pays for shipping or emails you a return label I see no problem with how they handled this. It sounds like you are being a little bit selfish. No harm in that. I'm a bit selfish myself. That's just a character flaw I have and I admit to it. It takes very little time to put the product in a box and slap the label on it.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just return it. You shouldn't expect free product just because of a shipping error.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
As another poster mentioned it is a question of character. I actually had the same thing happen last week when i ordered something from DPS. They mistakingly sent me 2 bottles of Evomuse Testruction instead of the 2 bottles of Slintensity i ordered. I didn't have to think twice about it. I emailed them and asked how i could send back the 2 Testruction for the 2 Slintensity i ordered. They shipped out my package same day and included a Call Tag to send back the Testruction on their dime. To my surprise, when i got my package this morning and opened the box, they loaded it up with samples galore. They sent an apology letter to. Overall they were cool about everything and i sent back the 2 Testruction about an hour later.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dunno, I see it as a customer service issue. They made a mistake and you shouldn't be put in a position to correct it. A tub of HV is nothing to them and it should be corrected. It's pretty common for companies to eat a minor mistake for customer satisfaction.

Good company, poor decision in this situation.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Are they sending you a label to cover the return shipping?

Sculptor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I didn't receive a label with the package. I later went back and found a pdf attached to their email. I will print it, package it, and drive it to fed ex out of principle. However, I agree with kisaj, I was very surprised I have to take this extra couple steps for a mistake I didn't make. It would be one thing if I could mail it or a fed ex person would pick it up but that's not the case. again, for me, time is very valuable. I am a big fan of PES and still will be, I just wanted to poll the AM crowd and see what people thought.

tl;dr so yes, I'm assuming the pdf label will cover the shipping and I will return it so I can sleep at night

Zoomie33240

Zoomie33240

Awards
  • Established
Yeah man send it back for sure If they are giving you good customer service. A good business relationship hinges on respect for both parties. Plus good karma always comes back in a good way

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Generally speaking, if someone receives the wrong item we will ask if they wish us to replace the item and offer them to return it (sometimes they may not want to if they got something of higher value, perhaps).

If they wish to return it, we will ship their replacement product and send them a shipping label to cover the costs. This then enables them to ship the product back with minimal time and effort.

We pride ourselves on customer service and have these procedures in place to make it as easy and straightforward as possible to arrange any product swaps and/or refunds that the customer is entitled to.

In this instance, I wouldn't like a loyal customer to feel unhappy about taking time out of their schedule to return a product.

Please feel free to keep the tub of High Volume you were sent in error as well as the tub of Ergonine we have sent you separately. No return needed.

Thank you for your continued support of PES and for giving us the opportunity to correct our mistake.

Enjoy the products. :)

Reactions: mw1

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Generally speaking, if someone receives the wrong item we will ask if they wish us to replace the item and offer them to return it (sometimes they may not want to if they got something of higher value, perhaps).

If they wish to return it, we will ship their replacement product and send them a shipping label to cover the costs. This then enables them to ship the product back with minimal time and effort.

We pride ourselves on customer service and have these procedures in place to make it as easy and straightforward as possible to arrange any product swaps and/or refunds that the customer is entitled to.

In this instance, I wouldn't like a loyal customer to feel unhappy about taking time out of their schedule to return a product.

Please feel free to keep the tub of High Volume you were sent in error as well as the tub of Ergonine we have sent you separately. No return needed.

Thank you for your continued support of PES and for giving us the opportunity to correct our mistake.

Enjoy the products. :)
Saw this one coming. Nice...lol.

3pic_B3ast

3pic_B3ast

Awards
  • Established
Similar thing happened to me. They sent me the wrong flavor of Alphamine. I almost said forget it when they asked me to swap. But i really didn't want the flavor they sent. So I ended up sending the wrong flavor back.

Honestly I think many are used to being told "just keep" it and now we are conditioned to think that way. I know I am after having things like this happen before and the company usually just eating it to keep good CS.
But I do ask myself should we really expect a company to always eat 30.00 worth of product?
Or does the company make so few shipping mistakes that they can afford to eat a tub of product now and then to make very happy customers?

I don't know if there is a wrong right answer but I agree maybe the consumers these days are a bit selfish. I know I am:)

Warthog13

Awards
Does your business send items FedEx anyway? Just take it down to your mailroom. With the preprinted label, it should be no problem adding it to the outgoing FedEx packages. I do it at my place of business.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
I've never worked in an industry that ships products, but I would assume (dangerous, I know) that there could be issues with dishonest customers. For example, if I order fruit punch alphamine and actually receive fruit punch alphamine, what is stopping me from contacting PES and saying that they mistakenly sent me appletini? If I knew that PES was in the business of letting their customers keep their "mistakes," it would be an easy way for me to get two tubs of fruit punch alphamine for the price of one.

It does suck to have to take the time to ship it back, but as others have mentioned, it'll at least get you some good karma!

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Ok so I ordered a tub a protein from pes and the scooper wasn't right at the top like it was suppose to be. I had to take 4 minutes of my day to use a fork to find it. Should I contact pes and ask them to give me a 2nd 17lb tub of protein to make up for it?

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Ok so I ordered a tub a protein from pes and the scooper wasn't right at the top like it was suppose to be. I had to take 4 minutes of my day to use a fork to find it. Should I contact pes and ask them to give me a 2nd 17lb tub of protein to make up for it?
Good post. Very comparable situations.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
As long as they sent a Pre-Paid Label, I'd figure I'd be passing a Fed-Ex joint at some point in the next week and ship it. So everything seems up and up to me. No label however - that would be a different response.

As a side note- I'm really surprised they would waste the money on the label - volume mfg cost on that one tub was probably less that the shipping :) (Going by a 6x6x6 box UPS Ground being ~$10 these days).

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didn't receive a label with the package. I later went back and found a pdf attached to their email. I will print it, package it, and drive it to fed ex out of principle. However, I agree with kisaj, I was very surprised I have to take this extra couple steps for a mistake I didn't make. It would be one thing if I could mail it or a fed ex person would pick it up but that's not the case. again, for me, time is very valuable. I am a big fan of PES and still will be, I just wanted to poll the AM crowd and see what people thought.

tl;dr so yes, I'm assuming the pdf label will cover the shipping and I will return it so I can sleep at night
Fedex will pick it up for you if you call or set it up. I forgot the exact way to do this but I've had them come pick up a package for me that I needed to have shipped. They also have convenient drop boxes.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
It is their mistake. IMO if they want you to ship it back they should reimburse you for both the shipping cost as well as the time/gas to ship it.

Comparison example (that has happened to me for instance): You order a product, and they ship the incorrect product or a non-functional one.
In this case, you have already done your part (paid for something to be delivered within a certain timeframe), but they have made a mistake. You often wind up having to wait extra time for it to be delivered, ship back the incorrect product, etc., all the while they are still keeping your money and making use of it because you held up your end of the bargain.

If the extra thing they shipped you is pretty expensive, I would ship it back IF they pay for shipping AND some kind of compensation for gas/time to FedEx, or THEY arrange to have FedEx come get it from your house. If they don't care enough to do those things, why should you?

I'm not a fan of corporations in general though, since they tend to maximize profit without much regard for the well-being of customers or employees.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
^Ha! But according to Justlooking, PES should have to pay for his time spent arranging a pick up. Damn corporations, out to take over the world!

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Ship it back or offer to buy it at a discount

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Saw this one coming. Nice...lol.
That's is fitting bdcc character profile. He has always been of outstanding character and integrity. He's a swell looker too!

FWIW it could have been handled (communicated) privately and it would have been the same outcome.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nutraplanet sent me a tub of AMINO ACIDS that I never ordered. They didn't ask for me to return it, granted I'm in Australia and the shipping would cost more than the product value ?. Saying that, my order didn't arrived months and they looked after me. ?

I totally understand the point, I work nights and have little time. If I have to post an item it's really our of my way, saying that it's the right thing to do if you can manage the time to return it.

Unfortunately life isn't always fair. I found a wallet with $1200 and returned it, the bloke said thank you and didn't give me a thing. Just replacing all his credit cards, licenses would of cost him hundreds.

Just depends who you are.

I would of just asked if I could have it at wholesale, as it'd be less of pain than returning.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Glad to see bdcc had you covered here, I would generally agree with the first arranged return policy being fair,
But you are a customer who didn't, and PES really wants our fans to stay fans

Enjoy the free pumps sir ;)

TrainerTone

TrainerTone

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Free tub of HV?! I bet you're pumped about that lol

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've had this happen both ways for me. I've had numerous companies tell me to keep the extras and had one once ask me to send it back.

The companies that provide that extra bonus become repeat ones in a customers mind. That send back our mistake gives your a sour taste for them and may not make you repeat. Regardless of the ethics.

yenohregdab

yenohregdab

Awards
Dunno, I see it as a customer service issue. They made a mistake and you shouldn't be put in a position to correct it. A tub of HV is nothing to them and it should be corrected. It's pretty common for companies to eat a minor mistake for customer satisfaction.

Good company, poor decision in this situation.
This.

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
That.