Potassium nitrate and blood pressure

HUTCHYY56

Awards
Is there any danger to taking KNO3 with 25mg losartan (high bp med) I'm thinking about getting that new Olympus labs test1fy!!

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Is there any danger to taking KNO3 with 25mg losartan (high bp med) I'm thinking about getting that new Olympus labs test1fy!!

YES! Adizzle1 is correct.

Ten healthy recreation-ally active volunteers administered 280 ml of Beet It brand beetroot juice an measured the BP response over a 24 hour period. Most substantial drop in BP came at hour 4..

SYSTOLIC DROPPED BY 10 POINTS
DIASTOLIC DROPPED BY 3.5 (ish) points

I reached out to the company that makes "Beet It" beetroot juice to get information on the exact nitrate content of 280ml. They stated the following:

"The dietary nitrate present on the single strength beetroot juice (not from concentrate) varies more widely due to each crop. On average will deliver 0.8g per litre but sometimes can be higher, depending on batches.

Nitrate content:
Beet It juice (not from concentrate) = 0.8g per litre (1000ml) = 0.08g per 100ml"

This comes out to about 224mg of nitrate. So taking 224mg of nitrate COULD drop systolic BP by 10 points at hour marker 4 after ingestion.

The Beat Your Personal Bests W/ Beets 101: How Much? 8.4 mmol Nitrate ~400-1300g Beets! When? 2.5h Pre Workout! - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I believe we will be removing KNo3 for the "non-pro" Test1fy when it launches so my suggestion would be to hold tight till that drops. Anything else that is "missing" from what the "pro" version has can be easily added as individual ingredients (so you won't be missing out).

ANNNND, once our "essentials" line drops we'll hopefully be your 1-stop shop : )

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I wouldn't suggest taking it with any BP medications

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Can you guys explain a little more....nitrates should drop bp....making the bp drugs less necessary, or more effective...I can see dropping bp too far is bad...but if it allowed you to reduce your bp medication I would think it could be best to use the two together in the long term....or will it cause heart problems or something?

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
If you take both in conjunction and anything goes wrong i.e. you BP bottoms out. You run the risk of serious complications even death. I would never suggest you take the two or any supplement that would negatively effect your BP while taking other medications. Consult your PCP. Sorry to sound blunt I just don't want you hurt.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you take both in conjunction and anything goes wrong i.e. you BP bottoms out. You run the risk of serious complications even death. I would never suggest you take the two or any supplement that would negatively effect your BP while taking other medications. Consult your PCP. Sorry to sound blunt I just don't want you hurt.
Not blunt at all....just trying to gain a deeper understanding of the way these things work. I have seen studies suggesting a combination of ACE inhibitors with nitrates may be superior in elderly patients. Mixing could be risky...just trying to understand more...

bcruder

Awards
Experiment!

I am using 100 mg losartan and 5 mg amlodipine. Recent research suggests that lower BP is better until one finds a personal limit. For the youngest, that limit will usually be indicated by postural hypotension. For the oldest it may be indicated by angina. The heart gets its own blood between beats based on residual pressure from the previous beat.

Since both parents died after strokes, my current 110/70 is where I want to be. With that dosage, even methylated hormones do not raise my BP.

That said, additional flow-mediated vasodialation depends on levels of sulfide and nitrite which can be increased by intake of sodium thiosulfate and potassium nitrate respectively. The former is converted by intestinal bacteria while the latter is converted by oral bacteria. Multi-gram intake of the first results in loose stools that smell of hydrogen sulfide. Multi-gram intake of the latter has no obvious negative effect. Because both are limited by the bacterial conversion rates I have encountered no additional drops in resting blood pressure.

The risk is apparently quite low but so probably is the potential benefit.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You'll be working out which is going to raise your BP anyway. It certainly isn't going to drop your bp to dangerous levels....The nitrates aren't gonna last forever in your bloodstream either. Your bp is gonna remain elevated for a few hours after working out too. Does the product your taking also have some stimulants in it?. If your taking a pre-workout also, that'll raise it some.

I know a guy that knows a thing or two about this criticalbench

HUTCHYY56

Awards
Thanks for all of the good info and advice guys!

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cozaar is an ARB to treat hypertension by peripheral & central vasodilation. My guess is, you have diagnosed high blood pressure. With that being said, I would NOT decrease your dosage of cozaar. You need to remain stable and steady on cozaar and you are on it for a reason so you shouldn't be titrating the dose. Potassium Nitrate can lower blood pressure and is a really good choice for those who have normal blood pressure but elevated on cycle. In your situation, I would not suggest it.

What is your reason for using it?

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Cozaar is an ARB to treat hypertension by peripheral & central vasodilation. My guess is, you have diagnosed high blood pressure. With that being said, I would NOT decrease your dosage of cozaar. You need to remain stable and steady on cozaar and you are on it for a reason so you shouldn't be titrating the dose. Potassium Nitrate can lower blood pressure and is a really good choice for those who have normal blood pressure but elevated on cycle. In your situation, I would not suggest it.

What is your reason for using it?
He stated it was part of the profile of Teat1fy PRO (500mg) which he was looking at buying.

I advised against it for now. The "non-pro" version of Test1fy likely won't have KNO3 in it when released.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He stated it was part of the profile of Teat1fy PRO (500mg) which he was looking at buying.

I advised against it for now. The "non-pro" version of Test1fy likely won't have KNO3 in it when released.
Ohh.. gotcha. Missed that!