Herbs to fortify the immune system?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I've got a buddy who moved to Florida from NY. Since he's been down there, he's been seriously sick like 4 or 5 times. Flu-type stuff, Im assuming its from bacteria or virii that his body never built up an immunity to, having grown up in another region.

Its messing up his workouts and really getting him down - and Im thinking of whipping him up some homebrew Immune System Strengthener caps:)

I know the obvious like Echinecea and Vitamin C should be in there, is there anything else Im missing that could fortify a healthy immune system?

Thanks,
BV

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Astralagus, Chinese Ginseng, zinc chelate.

Plenty of sleep.

C

Cosmo

Awards
Olive Leaf Extract and Oil of Oregano, I garrauntee it will help tons or your money back! (not really though) Astralagus, shiitake/reishi/maitake mushrooms, mistletoe, pau d'arco, golden seal, and tea tree oil are other herb and things worth looking into though, but seriously, the olive leaf extract/oil of oregano combo kept me from getting sick all winter, i usually get sick 3-4 times, whenever something is coming on this boots it right out.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys! There's a few you've mentioned that I havent even considered.

Looks like Im headed over to BAC.:)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Add lots of magnesium to the zinc. I've also heard good things about grapefruit seed extract warding off colds. All the other suggestions sound good too.

For someone young and healthy to be getting sick that much is odd. He may be getting exposed to toxic mold in his new abode..just something to think about.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I'd second that recommendation on Olive Leaf Extract, though it's more a treatment than a preventative.

Whenever I need ideas for possible products, I go to the keyword search page at BAC, cause they carry such a wide range of products. I may not buy from them, and I've learned that they overhype, one might say misrepresent benefits somewhat, but it's a great place to start for ideas for further research.

S

size

Awards
  • Established
Garlic. Custom now carries garlic extract with a high yield allcin content. :)

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
Olive leaf, astragulus and you mentioned vitamin C.....but how much does he take? I would recommend that he get the powder from CNW and drop down 2-3 grams a few times per day for a while...and anytime that he starts feeling warn out.

Also, mold was mentioned. I would mix up colloidal silver with MSM (1 tsp MSM per ounce CS) and snort it several times per day and before bed. This will kill bacteria in the sinus cavity and weaken the virus.

Seems like everyone here is on the same logic path though....good to see :D

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
SilverBiotics has worked well for me in the past. And no, I've never turned blue.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
You guys ever see that Ripley's Believe it Or Not episode where that lady turned gun metal gray from Collodial Silver? Freaky!:)

Great responses guys, thanks a lot.

Im looking to whip something up for him that will be relatively inexpensive, and preventative. Or, perhaps one series of caps to act as a general booster, and something else if he feels a cold/flu comming on.

He's been getting really sick every 2 months or so - like bedridden sick but only for a day or two. But it will knock him for a loop and mess up his training routine.

He just recently (about 5 months ago) stopped drinking HEAVILY. Like so bad he got the DT's when he stopped. Since then he's really cleaned up with the alcohol, and Im wondering if his body could be in a weakened state while its recouperating from months of binge drinking.

Like a good friend, I got him on Milk Thistle right away:) His roommate, who continues to drink heavily - dosent get sick at all.

Thanks again guys -
BV

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Zinc Logenzes are reportedly good to more quickly recover from a cold , there was a piece in the New England journal of Medicine that supported previous studies to this effect.

Just start eating your boogers, works for me :thumbsup:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_903083.html

I would'nt publically admit to it, or did I?; but the rationale seems logical .

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
He's been getting really sick every 2 months or so - like bedridden sick but only for a day or two. But it will knock him for a loop and mess up his training routine.

He just recently (about 5 months ago) stopped drinking HEAVILY. Like so bad he got the DT's when he stopped. Since then he's really cleaned up with the alcohol, and Im wondering if his body could be in a weakened state while its recouperating from months of binge drinking.

Like a good friend, I got him on Milk Thistle right away:) His roommate, who continues to drink heavily - dosent get sick at all.

Thanks again guys -
BV
Coming off of alcohol will definitely do this. You are on the right track. Get him eating lots of fruit and veggies. It sounds like he still needs to detox. Lots of antioxidant containing foods.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Thanks SJA,

I was suspicious that the withdrawl from EtOH could be the culprit - Ive got a lot of good advice here...Im going to start pricing up a 6 month regimen that will help him get his system back in order. So far Im thinking:

Vitamin C @ 2g/day
R-ALA @ 300mg/day
ZMA before bed

Caps containing:
Olive Leaf Extract,Astralagus,Ginseng, Rhodiola Rosea
(not sure on the doseages yet - have to research that)

Ive got a ton of Rhodiola sitting around, the other ingredients are relaitively inexpensive - should be able to do up a 6-month supply for ~$50.00

BV

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the ETOH is the probably the cause. NAC/Milk thistle/KRALA..and make sure he takes it religiously or it could actually be damaging.

ALCAR for sure!

Grapeseed extract, chromium polynicotionate, maybe some quercitin to aid in the detox, overall fortiifcation of the body and to increase endurance.

Emergen-C's are the bomb for a nice source of C, B12, minerals et al. give lots of energy.

good luck! Tell him we are rooting for him here at AM.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the ETOH is the probably the cause. NAC/Milk thistle/KRALA..and make sure he takes it religiously or it could actually be damaging
Really? Inconsistent dosing of liver protectanct can be harmful? Or does this apply to someone in my buddy's condition, going through alcohol detox?

Thanks for the tip w/the Emergen-C!! Might have to pick up some of that for myself too:D

good luck! Tell him we are rooting for him here at AM.
Thanks bro! He'll probably be a member here sooner or later.:)

BigV

Forster

Forster

Board Supporter
Awards
Raw honey/ Royal jelly from a local hive can help if any of it is allergy based.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
YES! There's studies that show inconsistent or sporadic dosing of NAC/Sylmarin can actually be more damaging during toxic exposure than not taking it at all. I guess the premise would be you're helping the liver out, it lets it's guard down, then you pull the rug out from under it lol.

Just keep him on it for a good long run and make sure he understands it's benefits and risks of not dosing properly. It should help him out greatly though. Ramp up the dosage slowly over a few weeks to avoid further "detox" symptoms.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
I would like to classify immune-boosters (like echinacea) and antiseptic (like zinc) separately. Altough the real world results will be the same (preventing and helping curing colds and small infections) the way of acting is different and there is an obvious synergy of taking both type of substances at the same time.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Very true but I subscibe to the holistic approach..ie. helping out the system as a whole strengthens it against stressors like disease, viruses et cetera. For me it's the everything is linked to everything else approach but I certainly agree with your classification.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
OK guys based on the advice here and some further research, this is what Ive come up with my for my friend:

Daily:

1g Garlic extract powder
1g Olive Leaf Extract
300mg Astragalus
300mg Rhodiola Rosea

2g Vitamin C

ZMA at bedtime

Look good?

Thanks,
BV