Recommended sups for low carb dieters

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Ok guys, I stopped lifting a few years ago when injuries occurred and life happened. Earlier this year I had a health scare (possible tmi) and my doctor basically said she'd seen what I'm capable of and I'd better get back in shape or die young. My blood test showed pre diabetic, high triglycerides, ect. Basically everything she tested for I didn't do well.

So I chose Adkins. So far I dropped 30 lbs in three months! My strength has returned and I'm in good shape compared to other 43 yo. I feel better than I have in quite a while!

But, having been away from clanging and banging for so long I'm lost on current sup trends. When I stopped lifting DAA was the hot thing starting.

So what's some good sups for low carb guys?

Currently I'm taking alphamax, c4, a multivitamin, and protein.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I've been thinking about bcaa's to be in the anabolic mode.....

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
First congrats on the weight loss!

Having a diet low in carbs does not really warrant using certain supps. Initially, making the change from a carb rich diet to a low carb diet, energy can be affected. A pre workout can be used to help that and can also be used for any other type of diet. I may suggest something like HydroMax, GMS or CM to help with pumps. Carbs really help me with a muscle pump and if I'm low carb, it is a little more difficult to achieve one. Looking into a non stim pre workout could help with that.

If you wanted a non stim pre workout, I would look into CreMax XT. Yes, it is a creatine, but also has HydroMax to help with a pump and muscle fullness. Other good non stim products are High Volume, NooPump and Hemavo2.

What supps a person uses or wants to use is based on their goals more so than a diet. A diet is just a way a person eats.

Question though, is there any reason why you are following a low carb diet?

DennisTheDane

DennisTheDane

Awards
  • Established
Stimulans for sure...One can feel like crap and with out no energy at all!

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
Go to the Evomuse section and read up on Epitome and Metabolic Rebirth

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The one basic supp for every goal and every person: creatine monohydrate. Tried proven effective and dirt cheap. SNS makes the cheapest around and can be found for less than 3 cents a day.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Ok guys, I stopped lifting a few years ago when injuries occurred and life happened. Earlier this year I had a health scare (possible tmi) and my doctor basically said she'd seen what I'm capable of and I'd better get back in shape or die young. My blood test showed pre diabetic, high triglycerides, ect. Basically everything she tested for I didn't do well.

So I chose Adkins. So far I dropped 30 lbs in three months! My strength has returned and I'm in good shape compared to other 43 yo. I feel better than I have in quite a while!

But, having been away from clanging and banging for so long I'm lost on current sup trends. When I stopped lifting DAA was the hot thing starting.

So what's some good sups for low carb guys?

Currently I'm taking alphamax, c4, a multivitamin, and protein.
Add in Creatine (3-4g) of mono on top of your pre-workout
Forskolin 95 since alphamax only has 25mg per serving i would aim for 50-100mg
Yohimbine HCL . Start at 2.5mg upon waking and work upward to .02mg/kg
Fishoil - 2-3g EPA/DHA Daily

Be the best bangs for your buck.

I would also slow down your weightloss
10 pounds a month is not a good rate, its a pretty fast rate, you may start sacrificing some muscle if you continue that weight loss trend. While losing weight fast is great, you don't want to waste away some of your hard earned muscle in the gym and help retain your strength. Sometimes faster is not better.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
First congrats on the weight loss!
thank you!

Carbs really help me with a muscle pump and if I'm low carb, it is a little more difficult to achieve one. Looking into a non stim pre workout could help with that.
My lack of pump was the main reason I asked about sups.

Question though, is there any reason why you are following a low carb diet?
I tested pre diabetic.

Doc told me to cut sugars and flour based products. No bread. I can't even have fruit juice or anything. I just decided if all that food is out I may as well do Atkins. I'm finding it easy actually.

How's your BP??
It was high. It was 188/121 iirc. As I mentioned I had a near tmi (if I didn't actually have one, I denied the MRI so they can't be sure). I'm on two BP meds plus the weight loss so it's ok now.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
thank you!

I tested pre diabetic.

Doc told me to cut sugars and flour based products. No bread. I can't even have fruit juice or anything. I just decided if all that food is out I may as well do Atkins. I'm finding it easy actually.

a lack of pumps the main culprit could be the huge lack of carbs which can be a major assist to providing pump.

Adding more carbs into your diet and take things like Glycerol, Agmatine, Nitrates etc and the pumps will be much better than going low-carb. Usually that is the case but not always true. Could be something to consider ..

You may still be able to eat carbs like potatoes, fruits (not juices), rice, ans oatmeal etc.... just watch your insulin levels and you should be fine. Being doctored orders run that by your doctor first and foremost.

Carbs are not the enemy 100% of the time. Sometimes the enemy is not reaching a proper caloric deficit to reach your weightloss/fatloss goals. Seeing your case may be more health related run anything and everything by your doctor

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
You can still eat carbs like potatoes, fruits (not juices), rice, and other sources such as oatmeal etc just watch your insulin levels and you should be fine. Carbs are not the enemy the enemy is not reach a proper caloric deficit to reach your weightloss/fatloss goals.
Specific doctors orders not to eat those.

I give myself one cheat meal a week to eat whatever I want but the rest of the time I stay disciplined.

Rushie

Awards
Specific doctors orders not to eat those.

I give myself one cheat meal a week to eat whatever I want but the rest of the time I stay disciplined.
You don't need pump for anything. Much better to be low-carb if that is what makes oyur body function best than chase something as silly and unimportant as cosmetic pump. And I would REALLY listen to your doctor on this matter and not people who post on the internet on BB forums.

BTW LOL at Bob telling a pre-diabetic that carbs are not the enemy. You should really just stick to copy pasting your three BCAA studies, recipes and glowing reviews of stuff you get for free.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
thank you!

I would look into CreMax XT as it has Gylcerol which helps with a pump. But really, anything with Gylcerol, Agmatine, GMS will help with a pump. Also, a pre workout, such as HyperMax XT, will provide stimulants with some of the pump ingredients above. Nutriverse has 25% off both products right now.

However, do not think that a supplement alone will help with a pump. If you can, time the carbs you can have pre workout to help with your pump. Also, use different lifting techniques and strategies such as an increased time under tension, dropsets, supersets, rest pause, short rest periods, etc to help with your pump. You'd be amazed with how much of a pump you can achieve by just slowing down the negative portion of a lift.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
It makes me smile to hear a doctor recommending low carb to prevent atherosclerosis and reducing the chance of developing diabetes.

The only 'carbs' I recommend keeping are vegetables, and non starchy ones at that. I do hope the doc made specific exclusions for these but if not, ask him/ her for ones you can eat.

How high is your BP now? If it is still above normal, id say stay away from stimulants as much as possible. The arterial damage from high blood pressure is not something you want to encourage, so just be sure you are in that normal range. Also a pump is purely cosmetic, but there are a few supps out there that can help in that regard and nitrates can further help lower BP.

Health comes first, always. Work around that

Adizzle1

Adizzle1

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Forskolin 95 since alphamax only has 25mg per serving i would aim for 50-100mg
Alphamax actually provides 50mg/day so providing a great dose!

Oxymax would be a great addition n also contains full dose Forskolin, bringing you up to max dose of forskolin

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm assuming a low veggie and high protein diet, so would definetely reccomend some TMG for you.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
I haven't personally tried them since I don't low carb, but I hear ketone products (like ketoforce) could help with energy. For pumps, I'd recommend nitrates maybe in combination with a pump formula like Antaeus' Thunderbolt. For cognition, a nootropic stack would be the way to go. I personally like noopept and piracatam, but Antaeus also has a whole line of very good nootropics which you should check out. A lot of them are on sale for Cyber Monday as well. And as the chef pointed out, Y may be a good choice since one of the main problems with it is that it has to be consumed separate from carbs (which shouldn't be an issue for you).

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Athletix/PES Ergonine