Thoughts on Organic or Whole Food Multivitamins?

tristen22001

Awards
Are supposed organic or whole food multivitamins a scam? The particular multivitamin I'm looking at is Garden of Life mykind Organics -

It appears to be composed of only vitamins extracted from whole food sources but I don't understand if that's really the case or if it's any better than something cheaper like Life Extension Two-Per-Day.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't waste the money. I'd just stick with more well know vitamins like orange triad or animal pak or something along those lines. It will be more effective.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I use Swanson's Whole Food Multi. It's like $10. No K1 or K2 though, so I get that separate.

tristen22001

Awards
I use Swanson's Whole Food Multi. It's like $10. No K1 or K2 though, so I get that separate.
I didn't realize Swanson made a whole food vitamin. I'll have to check that one out. Thank you.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Yeah, it's pretty good. I stumbled upon it after wanting a multi with very little Selenium after reading a study. I like it. But I'm not one that thinks *any* multi is some holy grail - just some insurance. I do eat a whole lot of spinach, broccoli, peppers, and green beans though. And like I said, get some K1/2 - for some reason, it has none - especially if doing a good Vitamin D dose daily.

tristen22001

Awards
Yeah, it's pretty good. I stumbled upon it after wanting a multi with very little Selenium after reading a study. I like it. But I'm not one that thinks *any* multi is some holy grail - just some insurance. I do eat a whole lot of spinach, broccoli, peppers, and green beans though. And like I said, get some K1/2 - for some reason, it has none - especially if doing a good Vitamin D dose daily.
My interest in the whole food vitamins has more to do with the low amount of all vitamins and them supposedly having more natural forms. The latter reason is where I'm a little unsure. Many of the whole food vitamins sound like they're just "creating" the synthetic equivalent but I don't understand the process well enough to really understand. My diet is pretty good so I'm just wanting to take one that provides a little extra insurance on things I might be missing (without the ridiculously large doses in some multivitamins). I guess as an alternative I could just take half of a serving of a regular multivitamin or maybe just take the few that I'm sure to be deficient in (magnesium, zinc, vitamin d and vitamin k).

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't waste the money. I'd just stick with more well know vitamins like orange triad or animal pak or something along those lines. It will be more effective.
what exactly are you basing this opinion off of?
-Garden of life is pretty much the gold standard as far as vitamins, outside of forums controlled labs isnt even that well known imo..which im not bringing up for any reason outside of downplaying it as a reason.
-both OT and animal pack are solid, but both have extra things that arnt imo needed in a multi eg aminos/antioxidant complex/joint support. where as GOL adds in more K forms instead.
-both use folic acid, among other things that my kind organics has more expensive forms of.
-animal packs arnt even much cheaper than my kind oragnics, possibly even more expensive.

and in general, not neccisarily pertaining to mentioned products, cheap multis are priced there for a reason, not using full spectrum vitamers, and not using forms of things with optimal bioavailability.

im not saying animal pack or orange triad are bad options cause they arnt. but saying they work better is a pretty subjective opinion.

tristen22001

Awards
Here's a nice article about vitamins/minerals by two of the guys from Examine.com - http://bretcontreras.com/what-supplements-should-i-buy-2/

Just checked what vitamins/minerals I typically get from diet using the CRON-O-Meter website and it appears the ones I'm mainly deficient in are the four that I figured (zinc, magnesium, vitamin d and vitamin k). So, I think for now I'm just going to supplement with those instead of a multivitamin.