Intra Workout Nutrition

CMayhugh

Awards
Hey everyone!

Lets hear what everyone is using intra workout to aid in recovery and assist muscle growth. I know its a somewhat controversial topic, but since using carbs during my workout I feel and look better.

CMayhugh

Awards
Nice. I do 15-20g BCAAs with 40-60g Maltodextrin usually

MJW

MJW

Awards
  • Established
Most people hate on maltodextrin because they say it's worse than pure white sugar for your body. When i stack now foods carbo gainer (maltodextrin) with either my pre or intra workout, I get such good sustained energy and a great pump. Maybe it's in my head?

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Most people hate on maltodextrin because they say it's worse than pure white sugar for your body. When i stack now foods carbo gainer (maltodextrin) with either my pre or intra workout, I get such good sustained energy and a great pump. Maybe it's in my head?
Most of the people who knock maltodextrin or play the 'oh it's evil corn sugar' are the same people selling more expensive carbs for intra-workout.

If you're actually doing strenuous enough workouts such that carbohydrates are of use, then maltodextrin will work fine.

If you're actually doing strenuous enough workouts such that carbohydrates are of use in quantities where GI discomfort would be an issue, some of the more expensive carbohydrates like HBCD are worth looking into

--

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're actually doing strenuous enough workouts such that carbohydrates are of use, then maltodextrin will work fine.

If you're actually doing strenuous enough workouts such that carbohydrates are of use in quantities where GI discomfort would be an issue, some of the more expensive carbohydrates like HBCD are worth looking into

--
Agreed. For those who's type of training and intensity may benefit from intra-workout carbs, I usually recommend starting with a cheaper carb source (like Gatorade powder) and finding the least amount possible that has a noticeable impact on recovery. I suggest making sure that the rest of their peri-workout and overall nutrition is on point before worrying about intra-workout as well, as it's just one piece of the puzzle.

I've personally used HBCD for the last few years, but also consume a fairly large amount of carbs intra. Using a cheaper source would cause stomach issues and end up hurting my performance.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't tend to use carbs during training...I've used an intra workout with carbs in it in the past and enjoyed my experience

but I tend to stay with aminos intra workout...I've noticed performance differences with plain old bcaa's, also notice a difference with bcaa/eaa combination, I also enjoy electrolytes during training as they add a nice boost to endurance but I don't seek out carb sources for intraworkout normally

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm with Gotti, I train in the morning before eating so I use bcaa's, usually prefer with electrolytes in the mix.

big_jewels

big_jewels

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Amino I.v. a dash of hydro-whey and some allmax carbion. Some crazy pumps and endurance.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
size on by gaspari...or nos ether by get diesel.

i work outside in the heat all day and sipping on either of those really seems to help on those really hot humid days, if i can go 4-5 hours between meals just sipping on either of those they should be more than enough to get you through a workout, imo.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In my opinion because i love the taste I go with aminox but any good tasting amino acid is what I would go with. It's better than a gatorade or something a long those lines. ha And I don't do carb drinks during workout either.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
EAAs have more promise intra than BCAAs...though some research does support BCAA intra.

Electrolytes if training hard can be beneficial, as can the right carbs (which others have already noted).

Big Papi

Awards
  • Established
Most of the people who knock maltodextrin or play the 'oh it's evil corn sugar' are the same people selling more expensive carbs for intra-workout.

--
/thread

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I just drink water. I've never noticed any benefit from intra workout supplements. I tried drinking some dextrose pre and intra workout but it just made me feel sick.

I've also tried BCAAs intra workout and didn't notice anything.

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Bcaa plus citrulline always flavoured, no brand preference, whatever is a good deal

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
purple wrath is awesome

also, anyone tried Intra MD by PNI? I have some on order and excited to give it a try.

Palash

Awards
PeptoPro - 10-60 grams
SAA - 4-30 grams
Citrulline (malate 2-1)- 5-20 grams
COP (creatinol o phospate) - 1-5 grams
BA-1-5 grams
enzimes
electrolites
BCAA Peptides - 5 - 10 grams
Tapioka (cheap) or HBCD (best) - 25-50 grams

Also EAA instant - 20 grams

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
PeptoPro - 10-60 grams
SAA - 4-30 grams
Citrulline (malate 2-1)- 5-20 grams
COP (creatinol o phospate) - 1-5 grams
BA-1-5 grams
enzimes
electrolites
BCAA Peptides - 5 - 10 grams
Tapioka (cheap) or HBCD (best) - 25-50 grams

Also EAA instant - 20 grams
some of those spreads are intense! 60g pepto pro, 20g cit malate, 5g COP?

CMayhugh

Awards
I would gladly use that if I had won the lottery...

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
Whats up bros? I just got 8 pounds of hbcd peptopro and whey hydrolyzed all in strawberry flavor. The problem is it taste like the strawberries were stuck up somebodies butt, What can I do to help the flavor of this intra workout drink?

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
Malto bloats me out, but I find Karbolyn or Cluster Dextrin works better, personally.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whats up bros? I just got 8 pounds of hbcd peptopro and whey hydrolyzed all in strawberry flavor. The problem is it taste like the strawberries were stuck up somebodies butt, What can I do to help the flavor of this intra workout drink?
Strawberry Kool-Aid liquid flavoring.

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1443388488.535075.jpg

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Are they all belended together already? I find the WPH is the hardest flavor to mask. A flavored HBCD and plain Peptopro mix very well together for me and the Peptopro flavor does not come though. Throw in even 10 grams of WPH, or even worse regular hydrolyzed casein, and the taste is horrible.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
been using Intra-MD by Prime Nutrition for the last couple weeks...pretty impressed. The orange flavor is a little better if you add some orange extend to it too ;)

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
Are they all belended together already? I find the WPH is the hardest flavor to mask. A flavored HBCD and plain Peptopro mix very well together for me and the Peptopro flavor does not come though. Throw in even 10 grams of WPH, or even worse regular hydrolyzed casein, and the taste is horrible.
No I bought them all separate but if thats the case ill just get peptopro next time, I figured id get both just to cover my bases seeing as im not sure which is better between the 2

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
been using Intra-MD by Prime Nutrition for the last couple weeks...pretty impressed. The orange flavor is a little better if you add some orange extend to it too ;)
The problem is you just dont get the high doses of stuff like peptopro unless you buy it in bulk. The good stuff is only sprinkeled in with thgose commercial powders. Bioturd plazma has a good dose of peptopro but its like 80 bucks for 16 servings. Its a joke. Buying in bulk I can get a 25-35 gram dose of peptopro for a lot cheaper and I can also control the amount of carbs which is good.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
No I bought them all separate but if thats the case ill just get peptopro next time, I figured id get both just to cover my bases seeing as im not sure which is better between the 2
The PP is likely better for the purposes of an Intra ingredient because it almost certainly has a higher percentage of Di/Tri peptides than the WPH.

The problem is you just dont get the high doses of stuff like peptopro unless you buy it in bulk. The good stuff is only sprinkeled in with thgose commercial powders. Bioturd plazma has a good dose of peptopro but its like 80 bucks for 16 servings. Its a joke. Buying in bulk I can get a 25-35 gram dose of peptopro for a lot cheaper and I can also control the amount of carbs which is good.
Last I checked it was not actually Peptopro in Plazma, but their own casein hydrolystate that they stated has a higher percent of di/tri peptides that Peptopro (which is highly unlikely IMO)

TyMan14

TyMan14

Awards
  • Established
Just cracked open my first tub of Machine fuel. Really liking it! The flavor is a little on the weak side though so I add a little more than one scoop to my shaker making it slightly less economical.

MBZ

Awards
Glad I came across this thread I've been in the market for a good intra. What is the most cost efficient intra that is worth the money in everyone's opinion?

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
I like modern bcaa. Taste good and doesn't have any artificial coloring

Idealimage

Idealimage

Awards
There are a lot of options. Most people don't require a lot of intra nutrition because they usually don't train hard,enough,to require it. For those who do, I would HBCD/pepto or HBCD/Bcaa is fine. If you ingest 300 plus grams high quality protein via food, I am certain Eaa vs Bcaa is a wash. I use 175 g HBCD pre,intra,post with 20 g pepto pre and post and 20 g Bcaa intra

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
The PP is likely better for the purposes of an Intra ingredient because it almost certainly has a higher percentage of Di/Tri peptides than the WPH.

Last I checked it was not actually Peptopro in Plazma, but their own casein hydrolystate that they stated has a higher percent of di/tri peptides that Peptopro (which is highly unlikely IMO)
Ya right i dont believe anything bioturd says, If it really had a higher percentage of peptides then thgey would certainly list the percentage, they are nothing but rip off artists, They claim they only sell supplements online because there bioturds would be "to expensive" if they used stores as retailers yet somehow quest and other companies have better quality protein blends at lower prices then them in the stores. Plus the sell that micro pa for 60 bucks a bottle for 20 measly servings when you can buy soy letchithin for 6 bucks and get 5x the potency on phosphatitic acid. They suck ill never give them another dime of my money

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
Glad I came across this thread I've been in the market for a good intra. What is the most cost efficient intra that is worth the money in everyone's opinion?
U gotta buy in bulk from tru nutrition to get the best deal

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
My drink is working out great, it greatly reduces soreness and improves training. Right now its about 35 grams of 50/50 peptopro and whey hydro plus 25 grams of hbcd. What else can I add to kick it up a notch or two? Im thinking at least some electrolytes, what else bros?

Idealimage

Idealimage

Awards
I guarantee that casein hydrolysate from biotest wasn't on par with pepto. Dante is straight as they fly in this industry. HBCD+pepto makes for great intra/post drink. It is cost prohibitive to most though at roughly $5-6/day

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
I guarantee that casein hydrolysate from biotest wasn't on par with pepto. Dante is straight as they fly in this industry. HBCD+pepto makes for great intra/post drink. It is cost prohibitive to most though at roughly $5-6/day
def not if it was u can be sure they would be advertising it with exact numbers instead of just saying "trust us its better" lol

Idealimage

Idealimage

Awards
So true fightnews. I get tired of all the BS claims

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
Its not that much its 30 bucks for 15 servings in bulk thats like 2 dollars a workout the hbcd is cheap I use half peptopro half whey hydro it streches it out a bit

Idealimage

Idealimage

Awards
What I argued is that it is cheaper to buy the parts and make your own drink than to buy the whole put together. Pepto is probably $36 a pound shipped. That's pricey. HBCD $15 shipped. That makes it affordable to drink it for some but not all

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
ya its expensive maybe get hydro whey instead its prob just as good or close

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Here is my take on Peptopro. The reason to by a hydro protein is because of the di/tri peptides. Peptopro is the only bulk hydro protein I have seen that advertises the % of di/tri peptides. Are there some hydo whey's that are just as good? Perhaps, but the problem is there is no way to know. Only a couple list there % of di/tri peptides and I have not found any that come close to Peptopro. Proto Whey advertises 40% di/tri peptides and that and the little bit in Intrabolic, which does come close to Peptopro) are the only others I know that advertise the percentage of di/tri peptides. As just to add to it, the degree of hydrolysis is not really a great indicator as to just exactly what the di/tri peptide content it. In other words a protein with a DoH of 30% may not necessarily have a higher percentage of di/tri peptides than a protein with a DoH of 20%.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Crystal Light.

When looking at the cost/type of your Hydrolasate, how many more ounces (pounds?) of muscle will you have at the end of a year, by spending more?

You can most certainly train hard enough, but within a certain time frame, and not need an Intra.

Idealimage

Idealimage

Awards
I know I stay leaner doing peri-workout nutrition. That us why I do it

Hootie

Hootie

Awards
  • Established
Plug for BPI Best BCAA. More agmatine to augment the pump, and I still like CLA when cutting. Great flavors.

Hootie

Hootie

Awards
  • Established
Plug for BPI Best BCAA. More agmatine to augment the pump, and I still like CLA when cutting. Great flavors.
NOT cheap tho, have to find it on sale. But I can stretch a tub out pretty well; combine it w/ a scoop of budget bcaa's...

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
You know Best BCAA only has:

740mg Leucine
370mg Isoleucine
340mg Valine

per serving right?
Maybe that + CLA is a magically potent combo ;)

Definitely invest in a better amino product

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Remember when BPI spiked their BCAA product with amino acids that are cheaper than BCAAs, and then tried to say they were doing their customers a favor?

Hootie

Hootie

Awards
  • Established

Yeah hence adding a scoop of another product. I got a tub cheap and have enjoyed it.

And I know CLA is debunked but I've gotten at least minor results from it. Placebo maybe but whatever works.