Green Tea Extract and Bulking?

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I am wanting to add Green Tea Extract into my daily regimen, but I am currently bulking. I was wondering if it would basically kill my bulking cycle. Any ideas?

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
no, it would not. Green tea is good for you. The extract is extra good for you. Don't overdo it, though. That would be counterproductive.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Too much of anything isn't good. If you're wondering about the fat loss aspects of the GTE hurting your bulk, I certainly wouldn't worry about it as I've hardly noticed any help in this area from my GTE. GTE has however been noted to sensitize muscle cells to glucose by increasing GLUT 4 translocation:

Anti-obesity actions of green tea: Possible involvements in modulation of the glucose uptake system and suppression of the adipogenesis-related transcription factors.
Ashida H, Furuyashiki T, Nagayasu H, Bessho H, Sakakibara H, Hashimoto T, Kanazawa K.
Department of Biofunctional Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Kobe University, Rokkodai, Nada-ku, Kobe 657-8501, Japan.
To investigate mechanisms of the anti-obesity actions of green tea in vivo, rats were given green tea instead of drinking water for 3 weeks. It was confirmed that green tea reduced adipose tissue weight without any change in body weight, other tissue weights, and food and water intakes. Green tea also significantly reduced the plasma levels of cholesterols and free fatty acids. Certain catechins existed in the plasma at 0.24 microM under our experimental conditions, though most of them existed as conjugated forms. For mechanisms of the anti-obesity actions, green tea significantly reduced glucose uptake accompanied by a decrease in translocation of glucose transporter 4 (GLUT4) in adipose tissue, while it significantly stimulated the glucose uptake with GLUT4 translocation in skeletal muscle. Moreover, green tea suppressed the expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma and the activation of sterol regulatory element binding protein-1 in adipose tissue. In conclusion, green tea modulates the glucose uptake system in adipose tissue and skeletal muscle and suppresses the expression and/or activation of adipogenesis-related transcription factors, as the possible mechanisms of its anti-obesity actions.

Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Jan;81(1):122-9. Related Articles, Links

Keep in mind that should you take the GTE around meals (especially helpful after working out to extra-sensitize muscles to insulin, if that's even possible), be careful taking it with fatty meals as GTE extract inhibits lipases which break down fats for digestion.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
I'm taking 2 gms of GTE along with 3.5 gms of ALCAR and 300 mgs of RALA as my Anarchy stack. This is while on a Super cycle that makes me Mohn with pain! LOL I still managed to add 4.5 lbs of lean bulk in the first 5 days.