Sleep issues

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I've tried a few supplements to help me sleep in the past. I've used prescription sleep aids. The issue is not falling asleep but staying asleep. I have a hard time getting more than 3-4 hours of sleep a night because of this and it's starting to wear me down. It seems to coincide with my elbow injury. I've let myself get a little lazy since I hurt it and haven't been hitting the gym that hard or often. I am trying to let my body fully heal but the lack of sleep is making it impossible.

I'll take any suggestions you guys have right now, I need a good night sleep in the worst way.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
A few other things you should consider:

- keeping lights dim at night
- Keeping music low
- Keep the TV off if you can
get into a sleeping rhythm/pattern
i would also limit water intake closer to bed so you do not wake up often (which happens to alot of people)

The last thing you should look to is a "Supplement" to cure any real life problem it should be the last resort as it has the least impact and difference in fixing what the issue is.

how was your sleep before the injury? A head injury may make sense for a lack of sleep but an elbow is a far stretch

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
What I'm thinking is that I was spending 60-90 minutes a day 5-6 days a week in the gym before I hurt myself. Now i'm going twice a week to do legs and abs. I'm thinking i'm just not wearing my body out like it's used to. I know it's likely a combination of stress and life changes as well but i've been ok with that in the past and rarely let those things bother me.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I know it's likely a combination of stress and life changes as well but i've been ok with that in the past and rarely let those things bother me.
^^^ That is the issue right there. not the gym.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
^^^ That is the issue right there. not the gym.
I am inclined to agree but I go through this pattern every once in a while even when there is no stress. This time though because my life has been seriously upended it is possible. I did sleep like a baby for a month after the shift but the past couple of weeks not so much.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What The Solution said. Reduce all stimuluses an hour before bed. Dim lights and turn tv off and leave my phone alone. Best things I ever did for sleep. Better than sups. Very hard to make myself do sometimes though. I also try to read a book for a half hour or so. That knocks me right out.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I am very well schooled on how to sleep and what to do. The issue is never falling asleep though, it's staying asleep. I sleep in a basement where it's cool and dark. I've slept at my mother's house, a friend's house, trying to see if environmental changes would help. Same thing, awake at 3 or 4am for no reason.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you ever used GABA? That stuff knocks me out like a rock all night. I've used melatonin regularly and ZMA but not sure how much I really notice an improvement. OTC sleep aid from walmart pharmacy with diphenhydramine helped for a while, but GABA is what helped me the most.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Have you ever used GABA? That stuff knocks me out like a rock all night. I've used melatonin regularly and ZMA but not sure how much I really notice an improvement. OTC sleep aid from walmart pharmacy with diphenhydramine helped for a while, but GABA is what helped me the most.
I've used GABA in the past. Last night I took a Zopiclone which is a prescription strength GABA increaser.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Stress and sleep hygiene. What is your pre bed routine and sleeping routine?

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I have had the same routine for as long as I can remember. I generally get into bed around 10:30 and do some light reading for a bit. I try to be asleep by 11. I don't watch any tv or use electronics much if at all around that time. I generally fall asleep pretty quick then wake up around 3 or 4am, that's when I can't get back to sleep. I usually lay there for 20 minutes or so trying then just get up and start my day. But by lunch time I am usually bagged. My workouts at 4:00 are usually still pretty good though.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I used resurrect pm and I swear I just had a sample pack but I was out for a good 12 hours and slept through my alarm haha. But i don't have trouble sleeping so I don't have a desire to purchase the product. But if i did have trouble that would be my go to.

Rebel1978

Awards
  • Established
I use Source Naturals Night Rest, 2 every night. I tend to have trouble sleeping, if you decide to use a supp. Can be found very cheap too if you look around.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How severe is your elbow injury? Is it enough that you might be aggravating it with movement in your sleep and waking up from the pain?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How severe is your elbow injury? Is it enough that you might be aggravating it with movement in your sleep and waking up from the pain?
Very valid question.

I messed up my lower back doing deads not that long ago and then had a minor shoulder injury at a different time -- I sleep like a rock, but I roll around and change positions quite a bit. That had me waking up quite a bit. Luckily I was able to fall back asleep relatively quickly, but I could definitely recall waking up 5-6 times throughout the night once I was actually up the following morning due to the pain.

Good suggestions/advice in here already.

Do you snore? Any chance you have OSA? I doubt that's it based on what you're describing, but just tossing it out there. When I was heavier that was more of an issue for me (though I still "slept" through the whole night).

I've always been lucky to not have sleep issues, but the only things I've ever used to improve sleep were GABA at a very low dose and then Sleephoria on a separate occasion. And I can say with both, I slept fine, so I wasn't looking for help there. However, with both I'd awake more refreshed the following day (and that was my problem -- still feeling tired after waking up from a solid 8 hours of sleep).

Anyway, hope you get it resolved soon, because that sucks.

And I definitely sleep much better when I'm regularly working out. If I miss a gym session or a basketball day, I definitely don't feel the same.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I tend to wake up very sore. I know that's part of the issue. I have prescription pain killers but I try to avoid taking pills unless absolutely necessary due to past issues. I'm going to load up on painkillers tonight before bed and see if that helps.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I try not to drink anything for 2hrs before bed. if i have to get up to pee in the middle of the night, my brain starts to think its time to wake up fully lol.

i also take melatonin and that helps me to sleep when i am still feeling hyper at bed time (sms, snapchats etc got to switch OFF). that gives me top quality sleep.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I tend to wake up very sore. I know that's part of the issue. I have prescription pain killers but I try to avoid taking pills unless absolutely necessary due to past issues. I'm going to load up on painkillers tonight before bed and see if that helps.
I'm wondering is possibly some sort of brace might help as well until it is healed. Something that limits mobility of the elbow, although the brace itself could end up messing with your sleep too.

tntjr

Awards
You don't have to be overweight to have sleep apnea. I'm about 11% BF and I've used a CPAP for 6 or 7 years. I used to wake up to pee several times a night. At least that's what I thought it was. If you can afford it, get a sleep study. There are other sleep disorders they can uncover too.

Also, even though I sleep now, lately I've been waking up too early and not getting the deep sleep I want. Recently did a 24 hour saliva hormone test and seems my cortisol shoots up end of the day which is impacting sleep. Am currently working on that. The point is, it could be a medical problem you have.

I know what sleep deprivation feels like and it's brutal. Hope you find a solution.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
I would take the advice already given .... reduce stimulus before bed, clean up your bedroom/sleep hygiene ( get the room DARK, turn off all electronics especially the cell ph) . then once that is covered you can add in a sleep aid to cap things off. Someone mentioned GABA .... that is very effective and is a major ingredient in G8 by FINAFLEX. By far the best sleep/recovery product I have ever used.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I try not to drink anything for 2hrs before bed. if i have to get up to pee in the middle of the night, my brain starts to think its time to wake up fully lol.

I'm an aging man. Getting up to pee in the night is just a way of life now. ;-)

i also take melatonin and that helps me to sleep when i am still feeling hyper at bed time (sms, snapchats etc got to switch OFF). that gives me top quality sleep.
Melatonin actually keeps me awake. I have no idea why.

I'm wondering is possibly some sort of brace might help as well until it is healed. Something that limits mobility of the elbow, although the brace itself could end up messing with your sleep too.
I wear a brace all day but take it off to sleep. I may try wearing it overnight tonight.

You don't have to be overweight to have sleep apnea. I'm about 11% BF and I've used a CPAP for 6 or 7 years. I used to wake up to pee several times a night. At least that's what I thought it was. If you can afford it, get a sleep study. There are other sleep disorders they can uncover too.

I've been tested before. I don't stay in REM sleep long enough. Hence the prescription sleep aids. I really hate the way I feel the next day on them though.

Also, even though I sleep now, lately I've been waking up too early and not getting the deep sleep I want. Recently did a 24 hour saliva hormone test and seems my cortisol shoots up end of the day which is impacting sleep. Am currently working on that. The point is, it could be a medical problem you have.

I know what sleep deprivation feels like and it's brutal. Hope you find a solution.
I've fought this on and off for a few years.

I would take the advice already given .... reduce stimulus before bed, clean up your bedroom/sleep hygiene ( get the room DARK, turn off all electronics especially the cell ph) . then once that is covered you can add in a sleep aid to cap things off. Someone mentioned GABA .... that is very effective and is a major ingredient in G8 by FINAFLEX. By far the best sleep/recovery product I have ever used.
I've tried Growth Factor XT and didn't really see much in the way of better sleep. I may try G8 though.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I've been attending a conference for the past couple of days so my diet and schedule is way off which isn't helping. I also may have imbibed in a few drinks the past couple nights too which has definitely not helped. lol

Heavychevss

Awards
I've used GABA in the past. Last night I took a Zopiclone which is a prescription strength GABA increaser.
Isn't that generic for Ambien, which is bad stuff. Back in the good old days (80's?) you could buy powdered GHB which was incredible stuff. Could sleep like a baby for 4-6 hours and be a new person when you woke up.

Like many other things people got stupid and abused it and used it with bad intentions.

ericaf1

ericaf1

Awards
How many carbs are you getting a day? And when are you eating them? I had the same problem. I was cutting and my daily target for carbs was 35% and I was only eating 30 carbs for dinner....It took awhile to get to the point you are at and I was trying to figure out what the hell was going on.....so I upped my carbs for dinner... all is good. You may find it works for you or you may find that it does not...

All the best,

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Id look into what alex has stated: pain and discomfort can wake even the deepest sleeper

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Try some Kratom an hour or so before bed. Both me and my girlfriend took 3g of Super Indo and 3g of Red Relax from Wicked Kratom and watched a movie before bed. I have never felt so comfortable and relaxed in my life. We both got great sleep as well. I woke up in the middle of the night and was in a good mood and I woke up the next morning a lot easier than normal. It beats anything else I have tried.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Kratom is very good for pain and relaxation if you get the right strain. You can build a tolerance though so I wouldn't use it more than two or three times a week. I know a lot of people use it everyday though. I just do not want to build a tolerance or let myself get mentally addicted.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I skipped over this before I mentioned the Kratom. If you have a previous problem with addiction I'd be very careful with it.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
Can you cut back a bit on stimulants like caffeine during the day? I know the caffeine has run its course as far as being energized but in my experience it messes with my sleep quality. One supplement that gets me a good night of sleep is phenibut. I normally get 6 hrs sleep, but on the nights I take phenibut 8-9 hours. I use it once or twice a week. Take too much and you'll feel sluggish the next day n feel the need to nap.

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
Your nights sound just like mine do, I've suffered with poor sleep for years trying everything from reducing stress to no stims and OTC sleep aids to the strongest stuff a doctor will give you. Pretty much the only thing that keeps me asleep is meds that are not healthy to keep taking haha. Right now i take half of a 10mg Ambien and after about 2 1/2 to 3 hours I'll wake up, if i dont go right back to sleep I'll take the other half and that allows me to at least get 6 hrs a night normally. The healthiest way to sleep, hell no. Healthier then never getting any sleep, yes. All the healthy ways to help your sleep pattern listed above is the way to go, but if you have serious sleep issues and have tried it all, you got to do whatever it takes to get the sleep you need. The Doc might put me on Temazepam but I can't comment on how well it works or unhealthy it is yet.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use to be on some crazy sleep meds. On the weekends, I would sleep for 24-48 hours. My ex would have to wake me up just to eat then I would fall back to sleep. On the weekdays, I would sleep for 10-12, wake up drowsy and spend the next 3-4 hours at work drowsy as heck. I was so dependent on my sleep meds that I would have anxiety if I didn't take them. I finally kicked them after a year and it was the most difficult thing ever. I rather get 4-5 hours of ok sleep than be completely knocked out for 24 hours or drowsy for hours. Thank goodness, I didn't hurt myself or anyone else because I was operating heavy lifting equipments at work.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
My sleep has been dramatically benefited from strong indica strains. I suffer from some wicked night terrors and vivid dreams and it's the only thing I have found that works and keeps me asleep. Not sure if this has been mentioned as I just skimmed over all the posts briefly. This is due to the inhibition of dream recall but it may benefit you in some way. Best of luck with the struggle and stay positive!

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
Kratom is very good for pain and relaxation if you get the right strain. You can build a tolerance though so I wouldn't use it more than two or three times a week. I know a lot of people use it everyday though. I just do not want to build a tolerance or let myself get mentally addicted.
it acts like an opioid in body and has similar addiction. avoid kratom. yes its great tool for pain. for a sleep aid or daily use i would avoid it. look at kavakava

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Your nights sound just like mine do, I've suffered with poor sleep for years trying everything from reducing stress to no stims and OTC sleep aids to the strongest stuff a doctor will give you. Pretty much the only thing that keeps me asleep is meds that are not healthy to keep taking haha. Right now i take half of a 10mg Ambien and after about 2 1/2 to 3 hours I'll wake up, if i dont go right back to sleep I'll take the other half and that allows me to at least get 6 hrs a night normally. The healthiest way to sleep, hell no. Healthier then never getting any sleep, yes. All the healthy ways to help your sleep pattern listed above is the way to go, but if you have serious sleep issues and have tried it all, you got to do whatever it takes to get the sleep you need. The Doc might put me on Temazepam but I can't comment on how well it works or unhealthy it is yet.
The other night I took an Ambien and a Vicodin before bed. I slept for 5 hours then I was awake. The biggest issue is that once i'm awake I can't get back to sleep.

NEBinAK

NEBinAK

Awards
My daily is melatonin, have been taking for ears still works great every time

A lot of people have good luck with zma

My weekend sleep supp is phenibut, but this should only be taken 2-3 times a week max, that stuff though, some of the deepest sleep of my life. I've taken it for wel over a year now. Only responsibly and have not had any withdrawal or tolerance issues.

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
The other night I took an Ambien and a Vicodin before bed. I slept for 5 hours then I was awake. The biggest issue is that once i'm awake I can't get back to sleep.
Same issue, which is why i take only half a Ambien when I lay down and then the other half when I wake up a couple hours later knowing I wont be falling back to sleep on my own.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Definitely square away your sleep routine. If you're looking for the supplement route, Blue Growth has treated me very well for sleep and recovery.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
i am wondering if phenibut is safe? they sound like the perfect thing to have when you're back at home at like 2am and want to go to sleep but still feeling hyper.

iufan4lifeul

Awards
I got a sample of 360CUT's 360Dreams a while back and tried it a couple nights but it knocked me the hell out. I am very sensitive to sleep formulas as I normally sleep like a rock anyway.

Here is the ingredient profile on it:
Valerian Root 1000mg
Phenibut 500mg
Picamilon 300mg
L-Theanine 250mg
GABA 100mg
5-HTP 25mg

May be worth a shot for you!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 56
cruze1911r1 Anabolics 28
Supplements 9