Body Fat Scales? - AnabolicMinds.com

Body Fat Scales?

1. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  208 lbs.

Body Fat Scales?

Guys do you have any opinions on scales that also measure body fat? It is my understanding that they actually indirectly calculate body fat percentage based on bioelectric impedence. is that correct? and if so how accurate is it (assuming you used it first thing in the morning, not after exercise)?

Also would anyone recommend any good brands and models?

Mr.50

2. the triumph of the grill

Last time I used an impedance analyser, it told me I had 4.6% bf.

Riiiiight...

Just get yourself some calipers.

Better yet, buy yourself a hydro tank.

-kwantam
  3. Advanced Member

The hand held ones are the easiest though not as reliable as the calipers(assuming you do it right) stay away from the floor scales those are a joke.

Just get the omron brand one for like 45- 60 bucks not totally accurate but if used in the morning before workout it only has a + or - 1 % difference and will be pretty accurate
    •   

4. ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday
    ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday's Avatar

Does anyone know where I can get a hydrostatic or DEXA done! One guy said he gets it done for like 30 bucks in a thread I posted like 3 weeks ago but he never replied! Please if anyone has info please let me know!
  5. Professional Member

The ones that send a pulse are crap plain and simple. Best thing to have at home is a pair of calipers. Also make sure you get a pair with metal springs so it will stay calibrated over the years.
  6. ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday
    ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday's Avatar

Hey JMINIS, what about the Accufitness ones, they have two different ones...what do you think of them? And bump to the Hydrostatic weighing and where to go to get it done!
  7. Elite Member

Accufitness one are good ones.. last fairly long time
  8. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaNiaK1027
    Does anyone know where I can get a hydrostatic or DEXA done! One guy said he gets it done for like 30 bucks in a thread I posted like 3 weeks ago but he never replied! Please if anyone has info please let me know!
    http://www.bodyfattest.com/calendar/
    See if these guys are in your area.
    I've used them.
  9. board observer

Sorry, gotta bump this old thread.

So BIA(bioelectric impedance analysis) scales are junk? How far off can they be?

I almost bought one today, since I was going to buy a bathroom scale anyway and this one looked so easy to use. FWIW, it said it had an "athlete adjustment" for active people.

Do you think it would be less accurate than posting pics and asking forum members to guess my BF percentage?
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

I'd trust most of the members more than I would trust the bioelectric doodads (technical term).

Get some calipers or post some pics would be my vote.
  11. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    Sorry, gotta bump this old thread.

So BIA(bioelectric impedance analysis) scales are junk? How far off can they be?

I almost bought one today, since I was going to buy a bathroom scale anyway and this one looked so easy to use. FWIW, it said it had an "athlete adjustment" for active people.

Do you think it would be less accurate than posting pics and asking forum members to guess my BF percentage?
    It's +/- 3% or so. Not accurate enough for my taste, but the higher end Tanitas ARE very good at getting your weight to 1/5th of a pound (0.1 kg). It's easy to overlook that part...
  12. Anabolic Innovations Owner

I had a $350 Tanita for my gym. It said I was 28% this was when I weighed 165 lbs at 6' and was a national level triathlete.

I sent it back the next day.

So for me no Tanitas are not accurate

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.

Junk IMO. They depend on things like weigh, age activity level. A % is a % no matter how old you are sorry.

Also use one, check the reading..drink 20 oz of water and use it again. It will be way off. Also B4 and after traing will change it dramatically.

Why is evryone so hung up on BF% anyways. I got mine done like once along time ago. The # just doesn't mean much to me I guess. Then again I don't know my best lifts either so my I am just a wierdo...
  14. board observer

Quote Originally Posted by refrieddreams
    Why is evryone so hung up on BF% anyways. I got mine done like once along time ago. The # just doesn't mean much to me I guess. Then again I don't know my best lifts either so my I am just a wierdo...
    Maybe it's just curiosity. It'd be nice to know though, exactly how much fat you're putting on and taking off. Also, it's a little hard to know how much leaner I can get if I don't know what I'm at right now. Does that make sense or am I confused?
  15. Board Supporter

I have digitial hand calipers, those are jsut the same as metal ones they just last longer correct? I am still trying to perfect the art of taking it. I usually take it about 4times and take the average of what I get of those. For some reason it seems to be giving me a lower % than what I really am. I had a 9% on it for a few months straight yet I could not see my abs, idk, maybe all the fat was at my stomach and no where else, I doubt it though.
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.

It will depend on water retention too.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.

Maybe it's just curiosity. It'd be nice to know though, exactly how much fat you're putting on and taking off. Also, it's a little hard to know how much leaner I can get if I don't know what I'm at right now. Does that make sense or am I confused?
    No man you make sence, I just don't care what the # is. I care more about my waist size, and how much of a taper I have going on.

But to each his own.
  18. Anabolic Innovations Owner

I think the EXACT same. It would be REALLY nice if there was a way to tell BF nice, fast, cheap and easy. When dieting and bulking you get into a head game thinking ok I am losing fat I THINK but am I also losing muscle etc.

yes you can go by waist measurement and it is better than nothing but I am going to start saving my money for a hydro tank.

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  19. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by snakebyte05
    I have digitial hand calipers, those are jsut the same as metal ones they just last longer correct? I am still trying to perfect the art of taking it. I usually take it about 4times and take the average of what I get of those. For some reason it seems to be giving me a lower % than what I really am. I had a 9% on it for a few months straight yet I could not see my abs, idk, maybe all the fat was at my stomach and no where else, I doubt it though.
    This is due to the calculation used. Digital calipers use a 3-site method that factors in your age. In my experience, this underreports your fat relative to 9-site calculations by about 3-4%. I have talked with some pro BB'ers who indicated that 9-site underreports relative to "actual" body fat (as by DEXXA) by another 3-4%.

So logically, digital calipers (e.g. FatTracII) will underreport by 6-8% body fat.
  20. New Member

[QUOTE=Mr.50]Guys do you have any opinions on scales that also measure body fat? It is my understanding that they actually indirectly calculate body fat percentage based on bioelectric impedence. is that correct? and if so how accurate is it (assuming you used it first thing in the morning, not after exercise)?

They are an absolute waste of money. I have a Tanita athlete scale and it isn't even worth having. So much you have to do to get a so called correct bf% reading and most of the time it is still incorrect.
  21. New Member

I've been working off some fat the last several weeks. While the caliper measurement dropped 1 mm, I took off 11 pounds and reduced waist measurement by over an inch. The tape gets my vote because it's easier to see smaller increments and know for sure it's correct every time.

Haha, when I first started using calipers I never bothered to read the book and I didn't realize there was a conversion from mm to BF%. I was even fatter than I thought for a long time; What a disappointment that was! Live and learn, I guess.
  22. board observer

Yeah, I'm starting the think the picture/tape combo is the best & easiest if you have a digital camera. Just make sure you use the same lighting & camera settings every time. Waist measurements can still fluctuate if you're bloated and I have a little trouble getting consistant chest measurements, but after a few times I think I've got a good baseline.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. An Updated Thread for body fat scales
    By Turk in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-28-2009, 01:52 AM
  2. body fat scales
    By browns1234 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
  3. Body fat scale, which one and where?
    By Mach .78 in forum Weight Loss