whey + casein post workout

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The effects of protein and amino acid supplementation on performance and training adaptations during ten weeks of resistance training.

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of whey protein supplementation on body composition, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and anaerobic capacity during 10 weeks of resistance training. Thirty-six resistance-trained males (31.0 +/- 8.0 years, 179.1 +/- 8.0 cm, 84.0 +/- 12.9 kg, 17.8 +/- 6.6%) followed a 4 days-per-week split body part resistance training program for 10 weeks. Three groups of supplements were randomly assigned, prior to the beginning of the exercise program, in a double-blind manner to all subjects: 48 g per day (g.d(-1)) carbohydrate placebo (P), 40 g.d(-1) of whey protein + 8 g.d(-1) of casein (WC), or 40 g.d(-1) of whey protein + 3 g.d(-1) branched-chain amino acids + 5 g.d(-1) L-glutamine (WBG). At 0, 5, and 10 weeks, subjects were tested for fasting blood samples, body mass, body composition using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA), 1 repetition maximum (1RM) bench and leg press, 80% 1RM maximal repetitions to fatigue for bench press and leg press, and 30-second Wingate anaerobic capacity tests. No changes (p > 0.05) were noted in all groups for energy intake, training volume, blood parameters, and anaerobic capacity. WC experienced the greatest increases in DEXA lean mass (P = 0.0 +/- 0.9; WC = 1.9 +/- 0.6; WBG = -0.1 +/- 0.3 kg, p < 0.05) and DEXA fat-free mass (P = 0.1 +/- 1.0; WC = 1.8 +/- 0.6; WBG = -0.1 +/- 0.2 kg, p < 0.05). Significant increases in 1RM bench press and leg press were observed in all groups after 10 weeks. In this study, the combination of whey and casein protein promoted the greatest increases in fat-free mass after 10 weeks of heavy resistance training. Athletes, coaches, and nutritionists can use these findings to increase fat-free mass and to improve body composition during resistance training.

PMID: 16937979
What is the reason for the study?
To examine and compare the effects of whey protein + casein & whey protein + casein on body composition, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and anaerobic capacity during 10 weeks of resistance training.

Who are the participants?
Thirty-six resistance-trained males aged 31 +/- 8 years

What was the study design?
Double blind randomized placebo controlled experiment

What was done?
Individuals were randomly assigned to one of three groups
  • 48g carbs per day (placebo group)
  • 40g whey + 8g casein (WC group)
  • 40g whey + 3g BCAA + 5g L-glutamine (WBG group).
Energy intake was matched across all groups and all individuals followed a 4 days-per-week split body part resistance training program for 10 weeks.

train.jpg

kcal.jpg

The following measurements were taken at 0, 5, and 10 weeks
  • fasting blood samples
  • body mass & composition (via DEXA scan)
  • Bench press & leg press 1RM
  • AMRAP using 80% 1RM for bench press and leg press
  • 30-second anaerobic capacity tests
What was found?
What was most interesting was the change in body composition, especially considering kcal and protein intake was matched across the groups.

FM.jpg

ffm.jpg

What does that mean?
Supplementing with both whey and casein post workout may produce greater training adaptations through greater prevention of catabolism and an improved anabolic response in resistance trained males

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is why i've used blends for a couple years now. Plus they taste better imo :p

Another fantastic post brother.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Always use blends. If not, I combine greek yogurt with whey which is essentially a blend.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice find! They controlled all groups really well.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yep i'm definitley a blend guy. Good read here.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Definitely interesting. Better start putting milk in all my shakes! Thanks for the insight!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Buy a quality whey, add milk = blend. :)

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Add 3Tbs liquid egg whites ($4 for "20" eggs in the egg section. 3TBS=1 "Egg") to bridge the gap between the Whey and Casein digestion rates.

Hey JudoJosh, since you're in the Protein game: WTF is going on with Egg White prices in the supplement industry? Was there a bird flu pandemic or something? Yet regular eggs seem stable'ish, price wise...

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Add liquid 3Tbs egg whites ($4 for "20" eggs in the egg section. 3TBS=1 "Egg") to bridge the gap between the Whey and Casein digestion rates. Hey JudoJosh, since you're in the Protein game: WTF is going on with Egg White prices in the supplement industry? Was there a bird flu pandemic or something? Yet regular eggs seem stable'ish, price wise...
PES just covered this in the latest protein article, egg protein is not optimal at all in a powder

It needs to be cooked (uncooked has terrible bioavailability)
Even pasteurized is probably not ideal.

The whey/casein blend has been shown best in multiple studies so I would leave it as is personally.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Just read the Belgian study - interesting. True "Raw" eggs suck, but heated = ~91% BA. But Pasteurization heats the egg/liquid egg to 140'F, *apparently* inactivating the trypsin inhibitors (couldn't find an actual study on the exact temp, just a ton of anecdotal). The Avidin does seem to actually need 160'F-180'F (Cooked to a solid) - but A. the yolk is loaded with Biotin, and B. Pill popping lifters probably have no need to worry about a Biotin deficiency.

But that *was* a good read for 30 minutes, thanks for the hat tip! Still adding my liquid E though :)

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
Thank god we all use select protein ;). Reminds me I need to stock up soon!

Nyrin

Awards
It's a little strange to me that they used an 80/20 whey/casein split; I'd be interested in seeing it compared against 50/50 and/or the inherent 20/80 split in straight milk protein.

paula

paula

Awards
PES just covered this in the latest protein article, egg protein is not optimal at all in a powder

It needs to be cooked (uncooked has terrible bioavailability)
Even pasteurized is probably not ideal.

The whey/casein blend has been shown best in multiple studies so I would leave it as is personally.
Uh oh looks lik Dr. Jym didnt do his homework he mis this one, he used egg albumin to his pro jym.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PES just covered this in the latest protein article, egg protein is not optimal at all in a powder It needs to be cooked (uncooked has terrible bioavailability) Even pasteurized is probably not ideal. The whey/casein blend has been shown best in multiple studies so I would leave it as is personally.
andddddd leucine peptides

It's the ****ing bees knees