Beta alanine for fighters

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ß-alanine improves punch force and frequency in amateur boxers during a simulated contest.

Abstract
The aim of this study was to test the hypothesis that ß-alanine supplementation improves punch power and frequency in amateur boxers during a simulated contest. Sixteen amateur boxers (each approximately 6 yr experience) were assigned to ß-alanine (n = 8; 1.5 g 4 times/d for 4 wk) or placebo supplementation (n = 8) after initially being assessed for baseline punch performance. Before and after the supplementation period, all boxers completed a simulated contest consisting of 3 × 3-min rounds (interspersed with 60-s rests) on a punching bag (with a force transducer attached). Each round involved performing 2 min 50 s standardized punching (standardized jab, cross combination) based on notation analysis, whereas the last 10 s involved maximal-output punching (standardized jab, cross combination), during which time punch force and frequency were recorded. Postcontest blood lactate was significantly increased in the ß-alanine group (presupplementation 9.5 ± 0.9 mmol/L, postsupplementation 12.6 ± 0.5 mmol/L, p < .05), whereas the placebo group showed no change (presupplementation 8 ± 2.8 mmol/L, postsupplementation 7.0 ± 2.7 mmol/L; p > .05). During the 10-s maximal-output punching, changes in mean punch force (ß-alanine 20 ± 1.01 kg, placebo 1 ± 1 kg) and punch frequency (ß-alanine 5 ± 4, placebo -2 ± 3) were greater (p < .05) in the ß-alanine-supplemented group. The authors conclude that ß-alanine supplementation improves punching performance in amateur boxers and suggest that this supplementation protocol may also prove ergogenic for other combat-related sports.

What is the reason for the study?
In a paper titled “Physiological factors in middleweight boxing performance”, the researchers concluded that a boxers performance is closely related to their anaerobic threshold. Meaning, the higher their threshold the better their performance. The idea here is that during high levels of glycolytic flux, skeletal muscle pH drops and this impairs the fighters capacity to continually produce high force punches. So, -> increased muscle acidosis = increased muscle fatigue = decreased boxing performance.

The researchers of this paper indirectly tested this hypothesis by giving β-Alanine to fighters and seeing if there is any changes in boxing performance.

Who are the participants?
Sixteen competing amateur boxers (age: 25 ± 4 years)

What was the study design?
Randomized, placebo-controlled, single-blinded

What was done?
Participants were assigned to either the β-Alanine (BA) group or the placebo group. The BA groups took 1.5g β-alanine 4 times per day spaced 2 hrs apart. The placebo group was given maltodextrin.
In the beginning of the study all participants completed a simulated boxing contest to establish a baseline performance. They were then given their respective supplement (either placebo or BA) and were told to take it for the following 28 days. The participants then reported back to the lab to repeat the same simulated boxing contest. Heart rate and blood lactate levels were measured at the end of the boxing contest.

What was found?

lactate.jpg

Blood lactate levels were greater in the BA group. However, there was no difference in blood lactate levels in the placebo group.

punch.jpg

“Placebo supplementation had no significant effects on mean punch force
(P=0.537) whereas β-alanine supplementation significantly increased punch force (P=0.002)
compared with pre-supplementation (Figure 2A). Similarly, there was a significant time x
group interaction (P<0.0005) for total number of punches. Placebo supplementation had no
significant effects on the total number of punches (P=0.094) whereas β-alanine
supplementation significantly increased (P=0.003) the total number of punches compared
with pre-supplementation (Figure 2B). The accumulative punch force was also calculated
(Figure 2C) and there was a significant time x group interaction (P<0.0005). Post hoc
analysis confirmed that placebo supplementation had no significant effects (P=0.508) on the
accumulative punch force whereas β-alanine supplementation significantly increased
(P=0.002) the accumulative punch force compared with pre-supplementation.”
What does that mean?
The results from the lactate levels suggest the BA group had better buffering capacity. This plus the data on punch force and frequency supports the hypothesis that BA improves performance via elevating muscle carnosine in muscle fibres therefore enhancing muscle buffering capacity and reducing acidosis.

Limitations of the study?
No actual measurement of muscle carnosine concentration was taken.

Takeaway?
BA supplementation significantly improves punch power and frequency in boxers. The improvement of approximately 20 kg of punch force and an additional 5 punches in a 10 second period, could be a significant advantage to fighters, especially during a match

NewAgeMayan

Awards
After a very quick search and read of other lit on the topic of ba supplementation, these conclusions came up:

*1.2gm/day is sufficient at keeping muscle carnosine content elevated at 30-50% above baseline

*Washout is slow (approx. 2% per week)

*Dosing with food enhances loading

...sound about right?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
After a very quick search and read of other lit on the topic of ba supplementation, these conclusions came up:

*1.2gm/day is sufficient at keeping muscle carnosine content elevated at 30-50% above baseline

...sound about right?
I would have to do a search and see but that seems a bit on the low side. I belive most studies that demonstrated a positive effect from BA used a bit more.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I usually do 3.2g ba pre workout.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Sorry, I should've been a bit more clearer.

I could be wrong of course, but it is my understanding that 3.2gm/day (ideally split dosed) is the minimum researched dose prior to maintanence; once some level of saturation has been achieved, 1.2gm per day is sufficient at sustaining those greater-than-base levels.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry, I should've been a bit more clearer.

I could be wrong of course, but it is my understanding that 3.2gm/day (ideally split dosed) is the minimum researched dose prior to maintanence; once some level of saturation has been achieved, 1.2gm per day is sufficient at sustaining those greater-than-base levels.
That sounds better, although I am unfamiliar with papers investigating loading protocol but the premise makes sense.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

...sound about right?
Washout is much faster than 2% per week for full responders, around 10% or so

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Guess Im just a fool responder...
haha, well peoples response to beta alanine was pretty highly group into two sets of people, low and high responders. The low responders had lower increases, and slower wash out, the high responders had higher increase and of course faster washout.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I first read about this study, I was in the middle of training for a muay thai comp and decided to add it in to test the theory. I don't think it did jack for me and nothing was noticeable. Maybe for something more involved with only punching would see the benefit.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
De_eB, Im guessing the low responders were slower to load as well?

Are there any decent/reliable 1st person markers/indicators for what type of responder you might be?