Detour Bars label claim changes

1. Registered User

Detour Bars label claim changes

An interesting development in the long Detour debate. My work got a new shipment of the Detours in today. The latest batch has the following (values in () are what was claimed in the last batch):

Calories 310 (290)
    Fat 10 (9)
    Total Carbs 25 (21)
    Sugar 9 (6)
    Protein 32 (30)

All the crap goes up and the protein down. New formula or a correction in the actual content? You can decide that yourself. I personally don't care since these pale in taste, texture and lasting appeal to the Trioplex bar.

On another note, we also got the U-Turns in today and they do taste stunningly close to a Milky Way, but not as creamy.

2. Registered User

Very interesting stuff...so those Trioplex bars are the best you've had?
  3. Registered User

The Trioplex are the bomb!! They only have 2 flavors out but their rep told me they're putting out a S'mores flavor at the Arnold. They have an extremely moist and soft texture. I tend to get sick of sweet stuff really fast (like Detours). I eat 1 of each flavor everyday since I first tasted them 3 weeks ago.

I think the main reason nobody has heard of them is because they don't have a line of supplements. The leading bars are put out by the companies that have been around for years with a slew of other products.
    •   

4. Registered User

u4ik_rage, who is the manufacturer of Trioplex? I did a search on DPS and MassNutrition on trioplex but found nothing. Also, since this is a small company, what gives you confidence regarding the label claims?
  5. Registered User
  6. Registered User

Originally posted by GuyinLA
    u4ik_rage, who is the manufacturer of Trioplex? I did a search on DPS and MassNutrition on trioplex but found nothing.
    The Manufacturer is Chef Jay's food products. If the LA in your handle is Los Angeles and not Louisiana, you should be able to find them in local Max Muscle, Nutrisport and Vitamin Shoppes. You can also buy them online at trioplex.com.

Originally posted by GuyinLA
    Also, since this is a small company, what gives you confidence regarding the label claims?
    I never mentioned the content but they are definitely reasonable claims and I didn't feel that way when I ate a Detour. The bars are 327 kcal for the Choc coconut and 358 for the PB (they are 118 gms, to compare most are 80 grms).
    Total carbs are about 36, fiber 5 and 6, sugar 9, protein 30 and 33, fat 7 and 10. The main ingredient is whole grain rolled oats and I think this makes all the difference.

Two bars and I'm at 700 kcal. That's an extreme positive since before these, I rarely ate bars.

I know it sounds like I profit off these bars (actually they profit off my new addiction), but haven't you ever tried a product that you wish everyone could try because it doesn't have enough recognition? This is how I felt after trying One and Lipoderm, same with Swole and more recently 6-oxo for those that need it. The all time product I've whored the most has to be Muscle Milk. I love that stuff, all 11 flavors (there really are 11 flavors), except orange.
  7. Registered User

Thanks. I am in Los Angeles and I'll give them a try.
  8. Gold Member

those trioplex list soy protein as the main protein content. i dont want that.
  9. Registered User

Originally posted by Clintdogg
    those trioplex list soy protein as the main protein content. i dont want that.

20-30 grams of soy a day doesn't scare me. That's about 5% of my total protein intake. Soy also assimilates much better than the hydrolyzed protein in ALL Designer bars.
  10. Banned

Originally posted by u4ik_rage
    Soy also assimilates much better than the hydrolyzed protein in ALL Designer bars.
    Soy assimilates nowhere near as fast, nor any more efficiently than the hydrolyzed whey in a designer bar.
  11. Registered User

Originally posted by John Benz

Soy assimilates nowhere near as fast, nor any more efficiently than the hydrolyzed whey in a designer bar.

My mistake, I confused hydrolyzed whey with the hydrolyzed collagen which a lot of manufacturers use. I've never been a fan of Next Nutrition's product quality and claims so this actually surprises me that it's not collagen.
  12. Registered User

I've read conflicting information on soy protein. Among the negatives are: (1) soy's amino acid content is not as good as that derived from animal protein, and (2) soy contains high amounts of phytoestrogens which some studies have shown are unhealthy for men (while others show the opposite). Since the verdict on phytoestrogens is not yet conclusive, many believe men should avoid soy as a principal protein source. Of course, as a minor protein source, there is no problem with soy.
  13. Registered User

Originally posted by u4ik_rage

Calories 310 (290)
    Fat 10 (9)
    Total Carbs 25 (21)
    Sugar 9 (6)
    Protein 32 (30)
    I thought it might also be interesting to see what Mike's lab assays came back as vs. the new and the old label claims...

Total Fat 10 g/Bar

Protein32 g/Bar

Sugar 14 g/Bar

Dry Weight 64 g/Bar

Ash 1 g/Bar

Carbohydrates 22 g/Bar

Calories 306
  14. Registered User

Detour may have changed their labels, and yes the bad stuff is up, but I can't imagine a bar with (now) 30 grams of protein tasting so good. The caramel peanut rocks, but I just picked up a box of the U-Turn bars (the Milky Way tasting ones), and those taste even better. I'm not a fan of supplement companies deceiving customers, but with the great taste these bars have I guess I'll have to get over it. My distributor told me that by law manufacturers can be off on the label by 10%. I didn't do the math, but I don't think they were far from that.
  15. Registered User

IMO, a protein bar isn't even worth being eaten as a cheat meal...
  16. Registered User

I'm afraid I agree... ****, if I'm cheatin I'm eating triple servings of WD's pb bars ... just can't wrap my mind around buying the things I guess... but if I had more $ to spend I probably would, heh
  17. Registered User

Originally posted by Biggin
    I'm afraid I agree... ****, if I'm cheatin I'm eating triple servings of WD's pb bars ... just can't wrap my mind around buying the things I guess... but if I had more $ to spend I probably would, heh
    WD's recipe and variation of them is where it's at. you know exactly what you're getting and the taste is incredible it's not even that you have to get used to them....its great the first time. just got to pick a good protein powder to use (simply whey for me) Sage
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Labels Claim Testing: A Consumer Advocate Group
    By Sheesh in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2003, 12:37 PM
  2. If detour bars are garbage...
    By T-Bar in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 01:07 PM
  3. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 05:41 PM