Highest Protein/lowest carb bars?

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guys what is the highest protein and lowest carbs you have seen in one replacement bar?

Mr.50

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
subscribed, I am very interested in buying some bulk bars but don't know which ones taste good/are the healthiest.

chriscool

Awards
I like the Odyssey Bar:

Total fat: 9g
Saturated fat: 5g
Total Carbohydrates: 29g
Dietary fiber: 3g
Sugar: 3g
Sugar Alcohol: 22g
Total Protein: 30g

This bar's taste is insanely good... like candy!

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm not even worried about taste that much (within reason) if the macronutrient ratios are really good I can force it down after years of eating for nutrition rather then taste; with that said I would really like a bar that can help me get in a lot of my protein requirements for the day without really upping the carbs. For cutting basically.

Mr.50

chriscool

Awards
Technically called polyols the sugar Alcohols are carbohydrates that have a limited impact on blood glucose levels and insulin release. This statement is not entirely "false" but it is misleading.

Only two of the sugar alcohols have a GI of zero. These are mannitol and erythritol. Several others have a very low GI, but two maltitol syrups have a GI greater than 50. This is a higher GI value than that of spaghetti, orange juice, or carrots.

Maltitol syrup > GI 48 to 53
Polyglycitol > GI 39
Maltitol > GI 36
Xylitol > GI 13
Isomalt > GI 9
Sorbitol > GI 9
Lactitol > GI 6
Erythritol > GI 0
Mannitol > GI 0

Odyssey bars have some maltitol syrup... not the better "Sugar" for cutting :( but they have good mix of proteins (whey and casein protein)

To cut a protein shake should be better than a bar.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
chriscool,

I appraciate the feedback and I agree with you that the shake would be better. The problem is that I am in the car for a large part of the day for work so it is tough to mix up shakes and a lot easier to eat a bar.

Mr.50

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've been eating some tri-o-plex bars.

depending on the flavour the protein count vs fat count is excellent. And the vast majority of carbs are at least complex.

peanutbutter banana, has 7 grams fat, 32 grams protein(Soy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate), and 34 grams of Carbs (coming mostly from whole grains), net Carb count of just 9. Granted I'm not sure how they came up with net carbs... but 25 grams or so comes from oats, whole grains and the like so the GI index is fairly low.

Total calories 350-420 depending on flavor.

---

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Poo,

I have been using the Trioplex also but I just feel for the cutting I am going to need at this point that there are too many carbs, net, complex or otherwise.

I was reall hoping to find a br with 20-25 grams of protein (at least) and 12-15 grams of net carbs at most.

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hmmmm... have you checked out atkins advantage bars? Don't think they hit your proteins requirements though. :(

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks again Poo I will check them out. Maybe I will buy a large supply of those Wolverines turkey bites. They are supposed to be like beef jerky but better for you, etc. Anyone try those?

Mr.50

dmxinc

Awards
I'm not sure how you feel about EAS, but when I cut, I sometimes eat the Advantedge Carbsense bars. I know there is a lot of useless stuff in them, but when I couldn't get a meal or shake, I use em'.
Here is some info.

26g of protein.
3 g of Impact carbs.*
Only 1 g of Sugar

AdvantEdge® Carb Control™ Nutrition Bars:

Contain 24 to 26 grams of protein.
Contain 2 to 5 grams of Impact Carbohydrates*

*Important Carbohydrate Information:

3g
Impact Carbs
Total Carbohydrates
Dietary Fiber
Sugars
Other Carbohydrates
18g
1g
1g
16g

These bars deliver 3 grams of Impact Carbs. Impact Carbs, including sugars and starches, are the carbohydrates that have a significant impact on insulin and blood glucose levels and should be monitored as part of your Low-Carb Lifestyle. Other Carbs, including glycerine, have minimal impact on blood sugar levels. "Total Carbohydrates" in the Nutrition Facts Box includes dietary fiber, Impact Carbs and Other Carbs.

Protein Blend (Casein, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Soy Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate), Hydrolyzed Gelatin, Maltitol Syrup, Glycerine, Modified Palm and Palm Kernel Oils, Water, Cocoa Powder Processed with Alkali, Soybean Oil, Lactitol, Maltitol, Milk Mineral concentrate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Canola Oil, Mono and Diglycerides, Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Ascorbic Acid, Magnesium Oxide, Copper Gluconate, Ferric Orthophosphate, dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Biotin, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Beta-Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Phytonadione, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Manganese Sulphate, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Potassium Iodide, Cyanocobalamin, Chromium Chloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite), Cocoa Extract, Soy Lecithin, Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Mixed Tocopherols, Salt, Sucralose, Citric Acid, May Contain Traces Of Peanuts, Various Nuts, and Seeds.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
EDIT: DMXINC beat me too it... :rasp:

Yeah... finding a low carb bar with high protein is hard. I think I am gonna go with the Atkins Advantage bar...

http://atkins.com/shop/products/Advantage_Bar.html (Don't by from there... way to much $$ google that shiat)

240 Cal 12g Fat 2g NET Carbs 19-21g Protein

Can't comment on taste.

-- Jonesie

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree, it looks like the Atkins or EAS bars are the best. Where do you guys usually get the from for lowest pricing?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree, it looks like the Atkins or EAS bars are the best. Where do you guys usually get the from for lowest pricing?
Your better off eating a candy bar. Really don't waste your money on that crap. Just get a cooler and take it with you in the car. If you don't want to pre-cook your meals, you can get some pre-cooked meat at the store already. The tyson chicken thats pre-cooked is really good. 1 carb per serving, they have breasts and drumsticks that I know of. Take a few of those and also some brocolli and your all set. You could even put all your supps in your cooler. It may be a pain in the ass to prepare all this, but there are some shortcuts you can follow. I only eat protein bars as a "cheat" meal maybe once every few months. I don't really count it as meal though, just a snack. They are just too processed, you can't get good quality protein into a bar!. Its just crap food!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Always check the label to look for gelatin. A bar can have a considerable amount of gelatin, which also has another name that I can't remember right now. It is good for your nails and hair, but worthless to muscle.

Also, if you go to labelclaimstesting.com or something like that you can find an analysis of tri-o-plex bars. They performed horribly. The label was way off. This was the case for Detour bars as well. I have to run, but I'll try to find that site later if I can.

chuckymiller

Awards
Check out Nitro Tech

Calorie for protein, I have found Nitrotech to be the best. They run 290 to 300 calories with 35 grams of proteins. Most of what carbs are there are low impact. For taste, their chocolate chip is the best and I think it is only 290 cals. I have gotten lucky on occasion at GNC where they sometime have them on clearance (like 5 to 10 bucks a box). Otherwise a good price is low 20 dollars for 12.

chriscool

Awards
Your better off eating a candy bar. Really don't waste your money on that crap. Just get a cooler and take it with you in the car.
You can put the whey powder in a shaker and just put fresh water when you want to drink your protein. The ON Whey disolves very well.

If you want you can add some skim milk in powder with the whey.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The cooler and shaker idea is what I use too, but I just keep it in my truck at work - I got tired of all the comments when I'd haul it into my office. I just go out a few times a day and get what I need. ON makes a decent bar, I think it is called Diet, but taste was definitely lacking.

kwantam

the triumph of the grill
Awards
  • Established
Guys what is the highest protein and lowest carbs you have seen in one replacement bar?
ON ProComplex bars are 35g protein and only 3.5g fat. They claim 0g sugar, but there's a shitload of maltitol in there---34g total sugar alcohols, so the GI is probably in the 40s or 50s... They don't taste the best, but they're not horrible either.

Detour makes a low sugar bar; the peanut ones taste great and have 30g protein, but also like 10g fat. They have 5g sugar, but 24g sugar alcohols; not sure of the overall GI, but it's probably not terribly low either.

Protein bars pretty much all suck, unfortunately. Beef jerky is awesome. Make your own at home and it's cheaper and probably better for you (or at least, you know exactly what's in there).

-kwantam

italionstallion

Awards
  • Established
those label claims on the tri o plex bars are the old tri o plex bars. they supposedly cleaned up their act. now all bars suppoesedly claim 30 g of protein

btw, i agree with the nitro tech bars, check out the low carb nitro tech bars or bites or whatever they are, they seem to be the best, and contain whey as the main ingredient