Saving for a new home. Need to cut out some supplements.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
So as of today I have made the decision to start saving for a new home.

This will cause me to not be able to afford many supplements.

Which ones do I cut out of my life?

Currently I am taking a Multi Vitamin, Whey Protein, Creatine, Pre Workout (Gat Nitraflex), Adenoflex for post workout, Muscle Martini, and Hemavol.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No need for any supplementation. Save your money for what's important to you.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah you don't technically need supplements, even though reading around this place you'd swear it's the only place for results

my easy recommendations would be keep protein and creatine....replace any stimulant with black coffee and your good, as much as i like intra workout nutrition, it's not necessary if you need the extra cash

CJNator

Awards
If you really want to just the multivitamin everything else isn't necessary, so isn't the multi but it can't hurt.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Thank you. Reps to you along with Gotti and Bayne.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd just keep the Multivitamin and Creatine. You don't need Whey Protein (unless you have trouble getting enough protein from whole foods) or any of the other stuff. If you want a good pre-workout, why not just get caffeine pills? Cheap and effective.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
yeah you don't technically need supplements, even though reading around this place you'd swear it's the only place for results

my easy recommendations would be keep protein and creatine....replace any stimulant with black coffee and your good, as much as i like intra workout nutrition, it's not necessary if you need the extra cash
Agree
Out of your list you can get rid of everything but those 2. i would still suggest taking a fishoil for the omega 3's and benefits it does provide. Not many people eat enough fish.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would just go with fish oil and maybe a multi, but that depends on how much variety your diet has.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So as of today I have made the decision to start saving for a new home. This will cause me to not be able to afford many supplements. Which ones do I cut out of my life? Currently I am taking a Multi Vitamin, Whey Protein, Creatine, Pre Workout (Gat Nitraflex), Adenoflex for post workout, Muscle Martini, and Hemavol.
Whey and post workout are easily replaced with real food so they'd be my first to go.

Pre workout, hemavol, muscle martini are totally supplementary and not needed so they're easy to drop as well. If you need cheap every, caffeine pills are like $3 for 100+ at 200mg/ea

I'd keep multi until last as on a limited budget your food choices might be limited as well. If not, then just add a few fruits and veggies and you're good to go.

Overall all of these are just that, supplements. None will make or break your health or performance.

Eat well, sleep well, train hard, and win a few promos ;)

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Whey and post workout are easily replaced with real food so they'd be my first to go.

Pre workout, hemavol, muscle martini are totally supplementary and not needed so they're easy to drop as well. If you need cheap every, caffeine pills are like $3 for 100+ at 200mg/ea

I'd keep multi until last as on a limited budget your food choices might be limited as well. If not, then just add a few fruits and veggies and you're good to go.

Overall all of these are just that, supplements. None will make or break your health or performance.

Eat well, sleep well, train hard, and win a few promos ;)
I workout early in the morning before I eat so that plays a big part in keeping the Whey correct?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I workout early in the morning before I eat so that plays a big part in keeping the Whey correct?
Plenty of people workout fasted. No need for whey. If anything a bcaa would be better.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Plenty of people workout fasted. No need for whey. If anything a bcaa would be better.
Whey has a good amount of BCAA's in it as you know.

I will keep your advice in mind. Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can keep the creatine, you should be able to find a good mono for dirt cheap, but other than that, some great advice in here. Congrats on making the move to home ownership as well! And being smart and saving for it, too many people don't and end up screwed early on.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Thank you. I'm at a point in my life where I have sat back and thought about where I want to be a year from now. A new home would be nice and make me very happy. I can afford a new home if I cut out the supplements.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You don't need any of the supplements you have listed. Creatine is cheap and you can buy a years worth of SNS creatine for under $15. But again, not needed.

What you do need is to structure your finances in such a way that they are used for what is important. Food can easily replace the need for a multi, whey and fish saving you money in this aspect and a pre-workout can be subbed in with caffeine pills or a coffee.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
I'd personally keep whey, a preworkout and creatine. Maybe even drop whey if your diet is up to par.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would keep they whey. It is the same as paying for food in my eyes. Also creatine is so cheap no need to drop it. I would get rid of the multi but keep in mind Im not a fan of them anyway.

Todd Garner

Todd Garner

Awards
  • Established
A good preworkout that already has your creatine in it, and some omega 3's wouldn't cost you must, that and a good diet should be just fine.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
OP, based on your list, the multi and whey. Everything else is icing on the cake. I also advocate an omega 3 product for general health, but those are the only 3 you "need" as staples.

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
Just roll with food man. and eat extra veggies for micros, go to the supermarket look for cheaper supplements you might not like using really cheesy brands but you will save as much money for whatever you really need it for. things like a Multi, creatine mono, discount protein powders (Syntha 6, Muslce Milk, Cheap). here in Aus we have bulk nutrients, can just buy everything direct from the wharehouse single ingredients. saves allot when funds are tight.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
With trimming your supplement budget being of utmost importance, on your list, I would drop everything except the Whey. The reason I would keep the Whey is on a per gram of protein basis it is often times more affordable than whole food sources.

The multi you are taking is not likely one that is yielding much benefit, as most of them are crap (this topic has been beaten to death around here).

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
So just keep the Whey, Creatine, and continue to eat lots of veggies and fish. Sounds good to me, than you for the replies.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I would definitely suggest to avoid fish oil capsules; yes BBers praise them but they often are not aware of how rancid they can get. Fish is by far the best way to go. 3x per week

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
No need for any supplementation. Save your money for what's important to you.
This, I usually just drink a supervised scoop of instant coffee preworkout

bobbybondmo

Banned
Awards
Cut out Creatine, Pre Workout (Gat Nitraflex), Adenoflex for post workout and Muscle Martini.
Try to eat cleaner and get a bed sleep than you currently do.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Best of luck saving up! Being a new home owner is exciting and scary at the same time. Are you doing this solo or have a family?

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah you don't need any supplements. I personally have an insane stim addiction so I would keep pre and protein. Congrats on taking the initiative though... Maybe just stock up on what you like for birthday and holiday gifts? Keep you stocked up for decent lengths of time.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cut out Creatine, Pre Workout (Gat Nitraflex), Adenoflex for post workout and Muscle Martini.
Try to eat cleaner and get a bed sleep than you currently do.
why cut out creatine? its the most cost effective ergo that nature has ever produced….

creatine and a protein blend (supplementing protein is cheap per serving in comparison to getting over 20 grams from protein and its extremely versatile.

Creatine
whey/casien blend
Fish oil (unless you eat wild caught cold water fish or shellfish 2-3 times a weak)
Coffee
lots of veggies and a variety of them

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Get that home brother! Coffee for energy, protein powder if you feel you really need it and the creatine would probably be the most beneficial for performance gains and muscle growth. If you only kept one I would say creatine. With adequate fat and carb intake your protein needs are far less than advertised. Supplement companies push the recs up on protein but the reality is that 1-1.3g per lb of LBM is all that is really needed for growth or cutting. If you don't kow your body fat just stick to 1g per lb of body weight. That should be easy to achieve with food only if trying to save money.

Buy meats in bulk, if really being aggressive to save buy cheaper beef, if you need to lower the fats drain them twice, or run hot water over them at about 2/3s of the way through browning then add more seasoning and finish cooking. I find that I still feel I get better bang for my buck with 90/10 than I do 80/20 once the fat has cooked off the leaner meat still always seems to have more meat left. Buy rice and potatoes in bulk, and you can cut out most of the supplements. The for the edge the creatine will give you for pennies per dose it is worth the supplementation.