45 yr old Bulk

cdnbum88

Awards
Wanted to get folks thoughts on a good bulk combination for someone what wants to gain some decent lean mass for the winter months.

I am 45 as noted, 165 lbs, ~13% BF. Typically workout 3 days a week. Split chest/tri's abs, legs shoulders, back bi's abs.

Not a real counter of macro's and I know this is probably a no no but I do try to have a minimum of 165g+ of protein daily. Can pretty much each what I want and my metabolism tends to take care of the rest. I have had love handles for decades and just can't get rid of them (that is another topic I am sure), but will live with them if I can continue to get some lean mass.

I just started Anabeta Elite last week and really no change (plusa ZMA - not really doing anything in the sleep front), but want to plan for the next after I finish this batch.

I read about Ep1, Prime, Erase, Ara, alphamax and many more and I am just getting lost on what is a good combination.

FYI - I had some sort of inflamation several months ago around my right nipple and I have not done anything besides OTC type stuff, but it was annoying for awhile, but has since gone and not sure what triggered that (again probably another topic). Also side note that I don't think really comes into play, but maybe chemical combinations lets say, I am on Humira and Crestor for RA type auto immune thing and high cholesterol.

Any suggestions or questions I would greatly appreciate your insight.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would dial in your diet a little more before using anything else. A good diet, counting macros, and a good concept of nutrition can go a long way in itself. Also, whenever you decide to run any of those products, I would not use a combination unless you have used what you plan to stack solo in the past. By stacking products you never used, you do not know how your body will respond to each product. With that said, if you have good or bad results using a stack with new products, you will not know which one, or both, caused the good or bad results.

All of the products you listed are great options. Judging by your comment about not counting macros and always having love handles, I think you diet can improve before using any of the above products. Not saying you need to count macros, but the second comment I eluded to makes me think you diet can be better.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Wanted to get folks thoughts on a good bulk combination for someone what wants to gain some decent lean mass for the winter months.

I am 45 as noted, 165 lbs, ~13% BF. Typically workout 3 days a week. Split chest/tri's abs, legs shoulders, back bi's abs.

Not a real counter of macro's and I know this is probably a no no but I do try to have a minimum of 165g+ of protein daily. Can pretty much each what I want and my metabolism tends to take care of the rest. I have had love handles for decades and just can't get rid of them (that is another topic I am sure), but will live with them if I can continue to get some lean mass.

I just started Anabeta Elite last week and really no change (plusa ZMA - not really doing anything in the sleep front), but want to plan for the next after I finish this batch.

I read about Ep1, Prime, Erase, Ara, alphamax and many more and I am just getting lost on what is a good combination.

FYI - I had some sort of inflamation several months ago around my right nipple and I have not done anything besides OTC type stuff, but it was annoying for awhile, but has since gone and not sure what triggered that (again probably another topic). Also side note that I don't think really comes into play, but maybe chemical combinations lets say, I am on Humira and Crestor for RA type auto immune thing and high cholesterol.

My first suggestion for a bulk is always AnaBeta Elite. I would give that a full 4 weeks and highly consider taking it for an entire 8 weeks. The other things you listed are fine and would work nicely with AnaBeta Elite, but I would avoid ARA in your case. If you're dealing with RA, I would avoid any ARA products.

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

You're on the right path with starting Anabeta Elite, but could you post a bit of your diet and training? Anabeta Elite is going to handle a good deal of nutrient partitioning, so without having an optimized diet there really isnt much to "partition", if that makes sense.

One addition that i think is extremely important is intra workout nutrition. You want to allow your workouts to produce the greatest anabolic opportunity possible, and we can accomplish this with feeding DURING our workouts (anabeta also makes this more effective). I recommend Amino IV during your workout because its full spectrum EAA/BCAA with additional leucine, and adding in a carb source of some kind. I personally just use 50g dextrose or maltodextrin added in because its cheap, but many people are doing highly branched cyclic dextrins due to their rapid rate of gastric emptying. I've tried both types and have noted no difference between cheap carbs and expensive designer carbs, but your mileage may vary.

The combination listed above, plus a good nutrient partitioner like Anabeta or something like Erase Pro produces excellent gains. Something to remember: A bodybuilders most anabolic compound is NUTRIENTS (protein, carbs, etc), and timing these nutrients where they matter most like the above protocol is one way to make the most of them.

cdnbum88

Awards
Thanks for all the good advice.

I will give the AE this full bottle and order another 1-2 for another couple of cycles to hopefully get a full effect. Sounds like with my RA it is a good idea to avoid the Ara at this point. Maybe the third bottle of AE I will add Erase Pro as noted to close out these 3 bottle cycle of AE to see how that adds to the overall impact.

Ant to your comment, I totally agree on the diet tuned in as I mentioned I know this is not ideal, but with only 13% body fat for 45 I think I am in pretty good on that front and improved diet would help me get below 10% which would be great.

Kevin as for your comment on my diet. I travel pretty much every week of the year so it is a challenge between that and honestly a little lazy when it comes to my eating on the road. A typical day Monday - Thursday is workout in am with taking some MP BCAA with my drink and some ANS Ritual with some creatine. Post workout currently is a Phase 8 shake with more amino's added, along with more creatine. Mid morning includes pack of almonds (drink water all day long). Lunch at client site includes two chicken breasts along with some wild rice and a green tea. Mid afternoon snack is a powerbar (30g) protein. Dinner is all over the board from tuna sub on wheat to beef kabobs and rice to a couple of beef burgers (no fries). Right now not taking a shake before bed, but will add that to my mix starting next week. As mentioned taking ZMA at night. I take VEEMA for my vitamin in am and some hemp pills with each meal for EFAs. As for when I am home, much harder to be as strict since I have to cook for wife and kids and meals are 'healthy' but not spot on as my out of town diet per sa. Shakes are a staple in am all the time though.

As for training I noted my splits for Monday - Wednesday working out. I typically do 3-4 exercises per body part with 3-4 sets each exercise. Typical rep range 8-10, but have been trying to lift heavier so could go down to 4-6 reps. I was throwing in there for a while high rep range for some variety for 20+ reps per exercise.

Hope this adds more details that may help. Keep the suggestions coming along.

cdnbum88

Awards
Good timing. Bodybuilding.com has a 2 for 1 special on AE, so snagged me some.

How long can/should you take AE for a cycle? 2 bottles? 3 bottles? .... before coming off and then any PCT (thinking not) and how long before starting up again?

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Solid advice from Kevin. As always, nutrition will be a huge factor in one's results. A well-planned peri-workout nutrition protocol (pre/intra/post), combined with intelligent supplementation, can give you a great advantage and bring progress to a new level. That said, it is important to have the rest of your daily nutrition on point as well.

Good timing. Bodybuilding.com has a 2 for 1 special on AE, so snagged me some.

How long can/should you take AE for a cycle? 2 bottles? 3 bottles? .... before coming off and then any PCT (thinking not) and how long before starting up again?
Awesome deal! Thanks for your support.

We recommend up to 8 weeks use, followed by a 4 week break. You don't need any type of PCT for AnaBeta Elite or any of our products.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
That said, it is important to have the rest of your daily nutrition on point as well..
not only this, but I personally wouldn't advise dextrose or any sort of carbs intra-workout, if the guy is trying to dial in bodyfat and lose the "love handles"

when you take in some of these carb choices, you have just turned your fat-burning ability for that training session to "off" mode..
now, the guy who is already ripped and plans his meals (and maybe intra-training intake) accordingly, within proper caloric intake range for the day, surely can do this..but - the guy who doesn't have quite the grip on nutrition, and specifically wants to reduce some fat?

last thing I would advise this guy to do, is run out and add simple carbs to his workout timeframe

OP - bottom line comes down to restructuring your dietary endeavors..
imo, it will be easier for you to learn properly and achieve your goals, by learning to make proportional changes to each meal that you consume
forget about adding these simple carbs - learn how to structure all meals intelligently, perhaps increase carbs (good carbs - complex not simple) in both preWO meal and postWO meals -- nothing fancy with those terms, it is simply the last meal you consume prior to training, and the first meal you consume following training

there is always more than one way to skin a cat - I just think this way may be more conducive to your learning better balance, concurrent with achieving your goals....at 45 y/o, you are running out of time to master the nutrition thing! :D

cdnbum88

Awards
Some awesome advice. And yes snag my nutrition knowledge timing is running out :yeah:

Recently at my hotel they give a free market item. So I was getting an Odawala drink and adding my pre stuff to it. It is pretty much all carbs. So I take it I should not take that route and just mix my 6 am preworkout drink with water or what else to have an effective early am on empty stomach workout?

Any suggestions on a good protein that would have good clean carbs in it that I can get once my Phase 8 empties? This would be my post workout meal and late night meal before bed starting next week.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Some awesome advice. And yes snag my nutrition knowledge timing is running out :yeah:

Recently at my hotel they give a free market item. So I was getting an Odawala drink and adding my pre stuff to it. It is pretty much all carbs. So I take it I should not take that route and just mix my 6 am preworkout drink with water or what else to have an effective early am on empty stomach workout?
again, several different ideas and theories as to what you can do here..none are inherently "wrong", but some may not fit your current goals

1) if the idea is to gain weight/mass at the expense of potential bodyfat, then by all means add the carbs to the drink

2) if the idea is to gain weight/mass but keep adipose down or indeed even lose some fat in the wrong places, then you have a decision to make:
either use the carbs in that scenario, and then adjust the rest of dietary consumption for the day appropriately; or, simply go with some BCAAs or EAAs prior to workout, sans carbs, and then focus on quality foods and intelligently placed carbs thruout rest of day, starting with a nice dose of carbs (simple/complex mix perhaps) for postworkout
typically - one would not train in a fasted state, if the end goal, the more important desire, is to gain weight and mass....that is not to say you could not make it work on some level however...all your choice

3) if the idea is to "strip down the fat" first (lose the love handles) and then add lean mass back in, fuuhhget about da damn carbs in that moring drink, forget any simple carbs, and work on getting compound carbs (sweet potato, oats, brown rice, etc), veggies (green), and fruits (blueberries, strawberries, grapefruit etc) into the fray, along with lean choices of protein (chick breast, turkey breast, tuna, lean beef, salmon here & there, perhaps some other types of fish like halibut) etc etc....

you can roll with any of these options for couple weeks; evaluate, see if they are working for you, and go from there

serious - once you master the diet and realize the parameters of your own metabolism, everything else just kinda falls into place around that and you make much more confident decisions and selections in your attack & quest for goals :)

cdnbum88

Awards
Lots of great advice for me to absorb and then put into action.

Erase Pro was 2 for 1 on bodybuilding.com so I grabbed 3 of them.

So once I complete this first bottle of AE I will continue on with a second bottle along with the EP. Then baring any adverse effects to that stack, I will complete and then take a month off and then do two more bottle each the second go around.

Looking forward to some decent to good results.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lots of great advice for me to absorb and then put into action.

Erase Pro was 2 for 1 on bodybuilding.com so I grabbed 3 of them.

So once I complete this first bottle of AE I will continue on with a second bottle along with the EP. Then baring any adverse effects to that stack, I will complete and then take a month off and then do two more bottle each the second go around.

Looking forward to some decent to good results.
Sounds like a good plan. Good luck with your run and please let us know if you have any questions.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
at 45 time for a hormonal panel....if you have only been using otc products it might be nice to try and find out what caused that nipple inflammation, just my 0.2 cents!!!

cdnbum88

Awards
at 45 time for a hormonal panel....if you have only been using otc products it might be nice to try and find out what caused that nipple inflammation, just my 0.2 cents!!!
I just got my lab results and I asked the Dr. to take a test panel, not sure of what it includes but the number was 327 and the range is 241-827 ng/dL.

I am curious, but happy that is is gone as it was more annoying than anything.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I just got my lab results and I asked the Dr. to take a test panel, not sure of what it includes but the number was 327 and the range is 241-827 ng/dL.

I am curious, but happy that is is gone as it was more annoying than anything.
unfortunately most docs won't include estrogen unless asked, i think they have to provide an explanation to insurance company. 327 is a little on low side, but as you say within range...otc test boosters won't increase total test all that much, but can help alleviate some smyptoms of low test test from my experience...

good luck, tom!!!

dusty44

Banned
Awards

Off topic, but how are the meds working for the RA? I've just recently been diagnosed with Lupus so I'm looking at the same protocol. Been on corticosteroids for almost a year straight, so really hoping for a better alternative.

cdnbum88

Awards
Off topic, but how are the meds working for the RA? I've just recently been diagnosed with Lupus so I'm looking at the same protocol. Been on corticosteroids for almost a year straight, so really hoping for a better alternative.
I was on methotrexate and steroids for about a year and they lost their effectiveness and for the past 2+ years I have been on Humira and it is awesome. Almost like I don't have it except when it gets closer to my next shot. I would ask your doctor if that or Embrel would be an option for you.
Good luck my friend.

dusty44

Banned
Awards
I was on methotrexate and steroids for about a year and they lost their effectiveness and for the past 2+ years I have been on Humira and it is awesome. Almost like I don't have it except when it gets closer to my next shot. I would ask your doctor if that or Embrel would be an option for you.
Good luck my friend.
I appreciate the info. Sorry to hijack & get your thread off subject...caught my attention and I had to ask. My rheumatologist has ordered me to stop all supplements immediately or he would not treat me any longer. He said that even creatine or not regards oxide

dusty44

Banned
Awards
I appreciate the info. Sorry to hijack & get your thread off subject...caught my attention and I had to ask. My rheumatologist has ordered me to stop all supplements immediately or he would not treat me any longer. He said that even creatine or not regards oxide
^^^sorry...my phone went to auto correct there. What I was trying to say was that the doc said that even creatine or nitric oxide would cause flare ups. Been on trt for a while and he is making stop that or else he would not treat me.