Xtend vs. ICE

djs2000

Awards
Considering ICE is ~10 bucks cheaper, which would you buy?

Newb017

Banned
Awards
bulk BCAA and bulk cit. malate, and you have much more than Xtend for the same price

bpi

Awards
Is $10 in savings worth mixing the products together and then having a kilo of ass-tasting powder? Otherwise, just get whichever is the cheaper of the two, both are great products.

Newb017

Banned
Awards
....not only would you save some money, you'll get a 1000 grams of bcaa and 100 grams of cit. malate, as opposed to 630 grams of bcaa and 90 of cit. malate, and in my experience neither taste bad at all...i drink both in water and they taste perfectly fine

i guess some people just enjoy paying more, to each his own

bpi

Awards
I think you're right. I don't even like buffets since I have to work for my food.

Jay Mc

Awards
Is $10 in savings worth mixing the products together and then having a kilo of ass-tasting powder? Otherwise, just get whichever is the cheaper of the two, both are great products.
crystal light. Just sprinkle a tad in w/all things powder.

J

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I sip on BCAA and CM during training mixed with crystal light. You will save a ton of money and it does not taste bad at all. Go with a lemonade or their orange flavor. I tried raspberry and it wasn't very good.

My pre-workout blend is a totally different story. Their is no masking BCAA, CM, ALCAR, Taurine, Tyrosine, Betaine, and Choline. Lets just say this formula has some "texture" when you drink it. But it gets me busting ass in the gym on 1200cal/day (UD2.0 depletion days), so I'm fine with it.

Make sure you throw in some B6 to aid in the utilization of the BCAAs. Your best bet is probably to buy Twinlab caps and just open them into the powder.

BTW: Extend does underdose CM. I think you are supposed to get about 6g for it to be effective. Bulk powders are so cheap that I always overestimate.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've tried both, and find mixability with both is less than great, as bcaa powder tends to float on the top of the mixture at first, and then settle out at the bottom. I actually prefer the fruit punch flavour of ICE over that of Grape Xtend, but find that the grape flavouring of Xtend is preferable to grape ICE. I don't think you can really go wrong with either product though.

I tried Bodyoctane awhile ago, and didn't really feel that Citrulline Malate gave me much in the way of noticable benefits, so in this case the extra cost for a low dose of Citrulline probably isn't warranted.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Beowulf--you and I drink the same concoction during w/o. I actually use that formula pre- and during. That is a great mix IMO. How many mgs of B-6 do you add? That's one thing I haven't yet included, although I have the powder.

donk

Awards
I have tried both and have noticed no difference between the 2. So I say save the cash and go with Ice.

Personally when my xtend is gone I will be ordering the kilo of BCAA since they say oral glutamine doesn't do ****. Protein Customizer is back and they sell the BSL favorling systems. I dunno how they taste or how much you need though. Anyone try em?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Beowulf--you and I drink the same concoction during w/o. I actually use that formula pre- and during. That is a great mix IMO. How many mgs of B-6 do you add? That's one thing I haven't yet included, although I have the powder.
I mixed up 10 servings of the concoction yesterday and opened 3 100mg B6 caps into it for approx. 30mg per serving. I think that is more than necessary, but I tend to err on the side of too much (except w/ PHs and alcohol).

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I tried Bodyoctane awhile ago, and didn't really feel that Citrulline Malate gave me much in the way of noticable benefits, so in this case the extra cost for a low dose of Citrulline probably isn't warranted.
I just go with bulk CM. It is hard to say exactly what is working, but I have had incredible endurance and recovery doing my depletion workouts and cardio during my UD 2.0 cycles. During the workout, I only take in BCAA and CM. I have a feeling the CM is working, but I didn't notice anything until a few weeks of taking it. Bodyoctane is way too expensive and extend is underdosed. By the bulk and shoot for 3-4g pre and during your workouts.

blazinred

Awards
I just go with bulk CM. It is hard to say exactly what is working, but I have had incredible endurance and recovery doing my depletion workouts and cardio during my UD 2.0 cycles. During the workout, I only take in BCAA and CM. I have a feeling the CM is working, but I didn't notice anything until a few weeks of taking it. Bodyoctane is way too expensive and extend is underdosed. By the bulk and shoot for 3-4g pre and during your workouts.

Where are you guys buying your bulk BCAA's?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I bought mine at 1 fast, but Custom is going to be getting them. I will buy them there from now on. If a bunch of us say we're getting ready to order, Matt might get them in ASAP. I'm almost ready to buy more.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I'm already saving some money for when his custom mixing feature gets going. I know I'm going to go broke then, so I'm planning in advance.

djs2000

Awards
FYI,

I used my noggin and put together a BCAA/Glutamine/Taurine mix @ Trueprotien.com. It will end up saving me about $20 a month. Plus I can get a flavor other than Grape.

PumpDogg

Awards
  • Established
I love the grape flavored ICE. It works well for what it is . I used SST products b4 from infinity fitness when I used Scott as my personel trainer and I have continued to make gains in losing body fat and better pumps using the Ice and Amino 2222 from Optimum.

PD

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Is there anyone who sells bulk EAA's? BSL used too.
I have to say that BCAA didn nothign to me while EAA during workout really seem to help my endurance.

Newb017

Banned
Awards
Layne, Derek, and a bunch of other randoms, including myself, are megadosing Xtend/ICE/BCAA powder over intthe supplement section of bb.com, i know there's a lot of crap to weed through over there, but it could be interesting, there's already been quite a bit of info posted on leucine's anabolic properties, and Layne has already reported what he claims as amazing gains from only 2.5 weeks of megadosing, might be worth checking out if you're interested in doing this

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Layne, Derek, and a bunch of other randoms, including myself, are megadosing Xtend/ICE/BCAA powder over intthe supplement section of bb.com, i know there's a lot of crap to weed through over there, but it could be interesting, there's already been quite a bit of info posted on leucine's anabolic properties, and Layne has already reported what he claims as amazing gains from only 2.5 weeks of megadosing, might be worth checking out if you're interested in doing this
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=431025

I am collecting the results from all those participating and can post them here if you guys would like.

I am taking 50 grams of BCAA a day and in the first week, I lost 1.25 lbs of fat and gained 3.75 lbs of lean mass (all measurements, except calves which are 18", went up). I'll have my week 2 update tomorrow.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I am collecting the results from all those participating and can post them here if you guys would like.
Please do, thanks bro.

BTW, I've started using apple cider vinegar and lemon juice with my high carb meals during my dcurrent bulk. It burns my throat a bit. Could the vin/lemon juice concoction have some whacky pH that could be detrimental??? I haven't studied science in a long time.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Please do, thanks bro.

BTW, I've started using apple cider vinegar and lemon juice with my high carb meals during my dcurrent bulk. It burns my throat a bit. Could the vin/lemon juice concoction have some whacky pH that could be detrimental??? I haven't studied science in a long time.
You can dilute it by adding water if you would like. I doubt the vin/lemon juice pH is detrimental at all.*

*Beast cannot be held responsible for any injury or death caused or linked to drinking vinegar + lemon juice.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, Beast.

I'm looking forward to this info on the BCAA mega-dosing. I thought I read somewhere before that high dose BCAA was detrimental. Was this Layne's idea? As if he has a f$^#ing clue about amino acid utilization. It's not as if he were doing a PhD specializing in it or something.:blink:

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Please do, thanks bro.

not sure if it would be detrimental but it definately has a 'whacky' pH.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
not sure if it would be detrimental but it definately has a 'whacky' pH.
Thanks, I'm glad to see that we're all on the same page when it comes to using proper scientific terminology. I can't stand these heathens that don't know how to express physical or chemical properties with proper terminology:frustrate

stevenki

Awards
I have question about hyperdosing bcaa , wouldnt it be almost the same idea as leptigen by avant labs.

and i noticed beast that you used leptigen for a contest and was wondering if your superdosing experiment is giving similar results

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Did you gain any bone and testicle mass a la Rebound XT:wave:?
Sadly, my testicles are back at their normal size since discontinuing Rebound XT...

After 2 weeks, I'm up 5.6 pounds in lean mass and down 1.1 pounds in fat. All my measurements (muscle girth) has been increasing as well. I'm attaching my excel spreadsheets.

Attachments

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
I have question about hyperdosing bcaa , wouldnt it be almost the same idea as leptigen by avant labs.

and i noticed beast that you used leptigen for a contest and was wondering if your superdosing experiment is giving similar results
I've only used Leptigen while cutting. The first time was during my review on the Avant website. At that time, fat loss had stalled and I was losing lean mass. When I added Leptigen, I started losing fat again and gained a little lean mass. Last time I used Leptigen (BASIC) while cutting I was doing the UD2 diet. I was stack Leptigen Basic + BCAA. I lost 7.5 pounds of fat and gained 2.5 pounds of lean mass in 4 weeks.

I normally use BCAA around my workouts, and for this experiment adding more throughout the day. I am extrememly impressed with my results so far. I think the combo of BCAA + Citrulline Malate works very well. At my dosing, I am getting 6 grams of CM a day. When I start cutting in 3 weeks, I will probably stick with the high doses of BCAA around my workouts and cardio.

The more I read about BCAA the more impressed I get. I'll keep you guys up to date and report the other participants results when I get them.

KCPreki11

Awards
  • Established
What do you think of the reccommendation against using Phenogen with CM?

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
What do you think of the reccommendation against using Phenogen with CM?
Since Phenogen works by "wasting" ATP and CM would make creating ATP more efficient, I can see a conflict. Spook the product's designer does not recommend the combo, but I have seen others that say it is fine. I don't think CM would be much of a concern compared to Creatine though.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Exactly!

Hey Derek,
Welcome to our boards, where we guess bone mass and testicle weight!

Sorry dude, welcome for real! :trout:

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

Many seem to believe that most of the great results of BCAA's is the resuslt of the Leucine, what would you think of jsut mega dosing Lucine?

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Many seem to believe that most of the great results of BCAA's is the resuslt of the Leucine, what would you think of jsut mega dosing Lucine?
The problem with just taking Leucine is you could create an amino acid imbalance. Valine and Isoleucine also have some nice properties which will enhance the overall effect.

So I wouldn't "mega-dose" Leucine, but 5 extra grams pre and post workout (with a protein shake) would be beneficial.

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
Derek, need to get rid of that ugly ass hat in your photo ;)

You can build your own xtend in raw materials for around 15-20 bucks less. Problem is, taste like ASS.

You can build your own xtend in raw materials for around 15-20 bucks less. Problem is, taste like ASS.
Mike you are a man after my own heart! :rofl: Get some of the BSL flavoring in, I hear they are good.....and what is the culprit for the bad taste?

Newb017

Banned
Awards
eh, tastes decent, i actually bought 12 PET 2 ounce bottles, they're like 50 cents a piece with caps, and I put a teaspoon of bcaa powder and a teaspoon of gatorade powder, definitely doable, i drink 6 a day on lifting days and the taste isn't bad at all, the texture is a little gross as the bcaa's fight for their lives to not absorb, but o well, cheap as hell to do too

Hey newb, could you please explain what is PET?

x_muscle

Awards
  • Established
i think high dose of Leucine alone is enough for increased muscle synthasis (if theory is true)

i dont know if Valin have an added value it can be used as an energy source in the muscles when muscle glycogen levels is low so it could be anti-catabolic while dieting, but not anabolic.it maintainthe nitrogen balance in the body, and that maybe thats it for the muscle.

Isoleucine is necessary for hemoglobin formation and in stabilizing and regulating blood sugar and energy levels so it has small role in protein synthasis.

i dont think if you take high dose of one amino acid that will cause an imbalance. people have been taking isolated amino since years and nothing happened (arginine, glutamine, l-carnantine). i dont know if high dose BCAA is worth the money, when coasts more than my AAS cycle.

but maybe taking high dose of Leucine alone is worth the experiment. truprotein sells it for cheap. 100g for 4.8$

here is a study and descusstion about Leucine supplementation.

http://www.cuttingedgemuscle.com/Forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13938

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
i dont know if high dose BCAA is worth the money, when coasts more than my AAS cycle.
Yes but not everyone wants to muck around with their endocrine system :poke:
I do wish BCAA price dropped though.

Newb017

Banned
Awards
Hey newb, could you please explain what is PET?
http://www.soapcrafters.com/soap_crafting_supplies/1090
the one's I got were blue 2 ounce bottles, cant remember where i got em from but they're easy to find

PET is just a special type of plastic i think, mega cheap, won't break, being a college student makes having these things awesome, i take one at about 6am then i just bring a couple to the rec center for immediately pre workout at about 645, then have one about midworkout, then space the final 3 out throughout the day, i just dont like carrying around gallon jugs all the time, plus having it in small doses in a 1:1 ratio with gatorade powder makes it easy to take

Someone (X Muscle) should do a test with just Leucine to see how it works, though if Beast feels that the other two are needed I will trust his judgement....I need to start rereading all the BCAA's studies again!

Newb017

Banned
Awards
is leucine on its own that much cheaper? a kilo of all 3 bcaa's for 40 bucks will last about a month, not too expensive really compared to some of the other stuff you could pay for

Scivation

Scivation

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
When I cut I will take some pics in the Bulk Nutrition beanie I got at the Arnold for you :cheers:
I need to get some Scivation beanies done.

Dude is getting results off of Xtend, so he obviously needs to be wearing my headgear when topless!