Supplements for fighters?

SheddingSkin

SheddingSkin

Awards
Howdy y'all, looking for suggestions on staple supplements for fighters?

Creatine yay or nay?
Beta-Alanine yay or nay?

Before training tonight I took my X-Factor, PeakBeta+, and high volume, and that was a big no no. During my run my calves were soooo pumped I thought they were going to explode, also during punching and kicking drills my arms and legs were too pumped as well. I guess pump products are out the picture?

Test boosters?
Endurance products? That's a big one I'm interested in.
Nootropics?

Basically anything I should or shouldn't be taking.

Thanks a bunch!!!

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Howdy y'all, looking for suggestions on staple supplements for fighters? Creatine yay or nay? Beta-Alanine yay or nay? Before training tonight I took my X-Factor, PeakBeta+, and high volume, and that was a big no no. During my run my calves were soooo pumped I thought they were going to explode, also during punching and kicking drills my arms and legs were too pumped as well. I guess pump products are out the picture? Test boosters? Endurance products? That's a big one I'm interested in. Nootropics? Basically anything I should or shouldn't be taking. Thanks a bunch!!!
I would avoid pump products for sure. Even though X-Factor and High Volume are tremendous products, I think they're suboptimal for you personally.

Sounds like endurance would be beneficial what you're trying to accomplish. PeakBeta is already a solid choice.

I don't know why you would need nootropics (no offense intended at all), but Focus XT was developed with mental clarity and overall cognition in mind. Some users will notice an increase in mind-muscle-connection, but I'm unsure how advantageous that is for your type of training.

Plain old COP (we offer bulk COP, but also contained in PeakBeta) has anecdotal support for its acute benefits.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cteatine and beta alanine are both fine. There have been lots of positive anecdotal feedback on amentomax and it shouldnt interfere with your training.

HTGduck

HTGduck

Awards
  • Established
Follidrone or EP1C for endurance. Strength gains will come also. Amentomax is another good choice, along with forskolin.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Betaine fits this along with HICA. Definitely no ArA as the last thing you need during a camp is extra inflammation. Adaptogens will be a good addition later in camp to keep recovery high and to deal with the stress of peaking.

elitemma

elitemma

Awards
Checkout Pre Training by Warrior Fuel. I train mma and use this everyday when I train. It's specifically made for mma. I would have posted a link but I don't have 20 posts yet :/ check it out though man, it's good stuff.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Big NO on the pump products if you do a lot of running. Step mill isnt to bad but still sucks. Creatine, Beta-Alanine, and Conquer would be my stack for endurance.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Creatine: 3-5g Daily
Beta Alanine: 3-4g Daily
Betaine/TMG: 2.5g Daily
Amentoflavone (AmentoMax): 40mg (2 caps) pre-training
Rhodiola Rosea: 500mg pre-training

For a full product that isn't just a single ingredient that may be beneficial to your training you should look into Amino IV. It contains a high dose of Leucine (to stimulate MPS), EAAs, and Tauring, HICA, and Lemon Verbena all have studies showing improved recovery in athletes. :)

Now I am not saying combine all the above (although you could haha), but that should get you started in the right direction looking for some stuff that may be beneficial to your situation.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Creatine: 3-5g Daily
Beta Alanine: 3-4g Daily
Betaine/TMG: 2.5g Daily
Amentoflavone (AmentoMax): 40mg (2 caps) pre-training
Rhodiola Rosea: 500mg pre-training

For a full product that isn't just a single ingredient that may be beneficial to your training you should look into Amino IV. It contains a high dose of Leucine (to stimulate MPS), EAAs, and Tauring, HICA, and Lemon Verbena all have studies showing improved recovery in athletes. :)

Now I am not saying combine all the above (although you could haha), but that should get you started in the right direction looking for some stuff that may be beneficial to your situation.
raise you some ALCAR or LCLT at 2g and CEL cycle assist. Damn good for every day use!
nice list bud!

SheddingSkin

SheddingSkin

Awards
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I have been weight lifting for years so luckily I have a lot of these products in my collection. Will be trying some out.

On a side note I'm starting to hate fighting, it's leaving me bruised, injured and banged up. It's fun when I'm training, but the aftermath sucks. Plus there is nothing that replaces that feeling when you hit a new PR in the gym. Im going to try and stick with it for a while and see if it grows on me, if not it time to hit the weights again.

AustBenny

AustBenny

Awards
I've been loving Cardiotryx for my Kyokushin training. I've played with a few preworkouts and barring Craze which was awesome but leaves me sleepless as training is at night , Jack3d Micro really works for me. No tingles, just energy and focus. Sucks for weights IMO but awesome for cardio.

ALCAR has been helping since I started dosing at 2g per day a couple weeks ago.

Man when u beat someone 6 inches taller and 20kg heavier full contact puts any PR in the gym to shame IMO.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I have been weight lifting for years so luckily I have a lot of these products in my collection. Will be trying some out.

On a side note I'm starting to hate fighting, it's leaving me bruised, injured and banged up. It's fun when I'm training, but the aftermath sucks. Plus there is nothing that replaces that feeling when you hit a new PR in the gym. Im going to try and stick with it for a while and see if it grows on me, if not it time to hit the weights again.
LOL. I was training MMA for almost 2 years and went exclusively to muay thai 2 years ago, mainly for the sparring and cardio work. I've done a few matches and placed well, but mainly just do full contact sparring and I have about had it. I never stopped lifting, but really started to get back into breaking PRs about 6 months ago and my fighting training has really taken a back seat....and I have never felt better.

I think I no longer like being hit and kicked.

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For grappling and kickboxing I've really been enjoying Preamp + 2g of COP + Core ABC.

Love the Core Fury + 2g of COP + Core ABC as well, the Core Fury is the complete package when it comes to pre-workout ingredient profiles, but it does contain 1.5g of Agmatine, some may find that will create too much of a pump, I don't notice any bad pump effects when grappling with it tho.

Follidrone does look to have some amazing feedback... going to try it soon myself.

SheddingSkin

SheddingSkin

Awards
LOL. I was training MMA for almost 2 years and went exclusively to muay thai 2 years ago, mainly for the sparring and cardio work. I've done a few matches and placed well, but mainly just do full contact sparring and I have about had it. I never stopped lifting, but really started to get back into breaking PRs about 6 months ago and my fighting training has really taken a back seat....and I have never felt better. I think I no longer like being hit and kicked.
That's the thing, I'm new to this and am hating the fact I'm getting my ass kicked lol. I understand it takes time, practice, and patients it just annoys me. I'm about 185, I have lost some weight since training but my strength has gone down quite a bit. Usually I'm too banged up to hit the weights hard but this week I took some time off from training and hit the gym, my bench press was terrible. Most of the guys I train with are between 150 to 165, don't have a tremendous amount of muscle but their conditioning is top notch. I definitely don't want to get down to that weight nor do I want to loose my strength but it looks like I'm going to have to make sacrifices.

AustBenny

AustBenny

Awards
One of the smaller guys at my dojo squats 3 x body weight. Doesn't mean you can't be small and strong. I weigh 25kg more than him and he still squats 30kg more than me. Dunno what that is in pounds.

In the end fighting/sparring/whatever is a much more useable skill than being able to bench 300 or be strong in the gym. To get yourself out of trouble, compete against others, impress a girl, whatever it is...

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's the thing, I'm new to this and am hating the fact I'm getting my ass kicked lol. I understand it takes time, practice, and patients it just annoys me. I'm about 185, I have lost some weight since training but my strength has gone down quite a bit. Usually I'm too banged up to hit the weights hard but this week I took some time off from training and hit the gym, my bench press was terrible. Most of the guys I train with are between 150 to 165, don't have a tremendous amount of muscle but their conditioning is top notch. I definitely don't want to get down to that weight nor do I want to loose my strength but it looks like I'm going to have to make sacrifices.
You are just starting and it takes time to adjust. I lost a lot of strength in the beginning for the same reasons, mainly being my joints due to the BJJ, which is why I dropped it eventually. But, you can have both and then you dominate. I am back in the 1300 club for my big 3 at 40 years old and am usually the only one in my class of 20-25 people that is ready for more at the end. 75% is technique, but if you are the strongest in the room, that is going to give you the advantage in endurance and simply being able to muscle people.

It isn't one or the other, it is about adjustment if you really want to be in top condition. For me, I am just falling back in love with pushing around big weight and need a break from sparring/training. I'll live vicariously through my daughter.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
I would stick to the pure stuff. like a creatine mono, Beta alanine and a mint infused fish oil.

aovereem

Awards
  • Established
Creatine
Citrulline
Bcaa
Caffeine
Beta alanine
Alcar
Cordyceps
Rhodiola rosea
Vitamine C (for taste mostly)

Is my homemade MMA preworkout stack.
Gets me through sparring feeling like a machine.

dbenj7

Awards
Look into MST products. I'm a soccer player and have had good success with their cordygen5 for endurance. I also make my own pre/intra/ training drink consisting of BCAA, carb (currently using prosupps karbolic) and add in 6g cit malate, 3.2g beta alanine, 2g COP, whatever creatine source you like at optimal dose. Can add in things like caffeine, tyrosine, Alpha GPC, LCLT etc. More of a hassle than buying pre made product but works out a lot cheaper through the season and you can dose at optimal doses. Products I've used that I liked - a few in the MST range, and MN Peak Beta. Pre Jym wasn't too bad and musclepharm assault I found ok also. Good luck!

dbenj7

Awards
Creatine
Citrulline
Bcaa
Caffeine
Beta alanine
Alcar
Cordyceps
Rhodiola rosea
Vitamine C (for taste mostly)

Is my homemade MMA preworkout stack.
Gets me through sparring feeling like a machine.
Similar to mine, looks like a great combo. What cordyceps source do you use?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
IMO don't go balls to the wall with supplements; pick up a select few and go with those :D

Betaine
Peak Beta
COP
Beta Alanine
Amentomax
Amino IV

are all good options.

Look into bulk products by SNS :D

Adizzle1

Adizzle1

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Performax Labs sponsors 3 MMA fighters, 2 amateurs and 1 professional and all three of them love the combo of FitMax + CreMax. None of them really take Alphamax too often and all 3 agree that for there workouts HyperMax is a bit too much and increases heart rate.

With Fitmax your getting nice clean energy, focus and great endurance and includes ingredients like Citrulline, Agmatine, L-Carnitine among others that are great for performance. CreMax contains 5g Creatine mono per serving with gram doses of Taurine, Betaine Anhydrous and Creatinol O Phosphate as well as electrolytes for hydration.

That combo taken pre workout with some BCAA/EAA intra workout is a perfect fit for an MMA athlete.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Products like Green Mag, Peak Beta+ and Body Octane would all likely treat you quite well for muscular strength and endurance. BCAA maybe if you're training for a long time each day.

dbenj7

Awards
Forgot to mention I used to use MAN Clout. Not sure if the product has been discontinued as I have trouble finding it now but that was great for cardio endurance. Did not find body octane as effective as a standalone though in saying that stacked together was great.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Forgot to mention I used to use MAN Clout. Not sure if the product has been discontinued as I have trouble finding it now but that was great for cardio endurance. Did not find body octane as effective as a standalone though in saying that stacked together was great.
Clout is back for a limited run. Only available on their direct website.