Good Certification for gym chains?

modernoscar

Awards
I know this is probably a recycled question but I'd like some extra input. I will soon be studying Exercise Physiology in school. I was hoping to get on at a gym to work at while going to school. I have no idea whether to go with NASM, ACSM, ETC. All sound good to me. Is there one I could get quicker than another so I could start working sooner? Any help is appreciated. Thanks dudes

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What setting do you want to work in and where?

Different Demographics have a greater networking population for the "Brand" you choose to support and work for.

I think the NSCA CPT is a good starting place and if you are a member and your school can send you to a conference then thats groundbreaking just starting out. Look them all up, check out places you want to work, and start with random people at school. They dont need to be friends as they can just stress you but gaining your confidense there, shadowing at a local gym that can show you a variety of techniques, and being able to apply them will help you in the long run.

You really just need to decide when you are actually serious enough to just take that step and apply the time. If you take the time to soak in the info, and find ways to apply it and make it your own, then the sky is the limit. Hell I dont know of anyone who hasnt gotten hired with an ACE

The cert says you took the time to study and understand the material, your offering to work means you want to build the experience. Why the hell is this so long lls

Tagger

Tagger

Awards

modernoscar

Awards
What setting do you want to work in and where?

Different Demographics have a greater networking population for the "Brand" you choose to support and work for.

I think the NSCA CPT is a good starting place and if you are a member and your school can send you to a conference then thats groundbreaking just starting out. Look them all up, check out places you want to work, and start with random people at school. They dont need to be friends as they can just stress you but gaining your confidense there, shadowing at a local gym that can show you a variety of techniques, and being able to apply them will help you in the long run.

You really just need to decide when you are actually serious enough to just take that step and apply the time. If you take the time to soak in the info, and find ways to apply it and make it your own, then the sky is the limit. Hell I dont know of anyone who hasnt gotten hired with an ACE

The cert says you took the time to study and understand the material, your offering to work means you want to build the experience. Why the hell is this so long lls
Appreciate the response man. BTW I'm halfway between Cincinnati and Columbus so either would work. I eventually want to have my own training and coaching business. Gotta start somewhere.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Appreciate the response man. BTW I'm halfway between Cincinnati and Columbus so either would work. I eventually want to have my own training and coaching business. Gotta start somewhere.
Im sure you have advisers at school, little creepy but find out what certs they have and the types of internships they can get your name thrown into. Litterally the cert you pick can make or break this in this who you know world. By doing so they will be interested in paying your way to a conference or summit and then you can show your worth to make it in a legitimate booming gym somewhere.

Baby steps are how things work best, leap too far ahead and you could miss something needed later

modernoscar

Awards
Im sure you have advisers at school, little creepy but find out what certs they have and the types of internships they can get your name thrown into. Litterally the cert you pick can make or break this in this who you know world. By doing so they will be interested in paying your way to a conference or summit and then you can show your worth to make it in a legitimate booming gym somewhere.

Baby steps are how things work best, leap too far ahead and you could miss something needed later
This is great advice man. Thanks. Won't be in school until fall this year so was hoping to have my certification before summer was over.

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
NASM is probably the most known one. A lot of commercial gyms regardless of what you have will make you take their in-house certification. For the record, training at a commercial (chain) gym is a bad idea, over worked and underpaid. Online training is the future, that's how you make real money.

modernoscar

Awards
NASM is probably the most known one. A lot of commercial gyms regardless of what you have will make you take their in-house certification. For the record, training at a commercial (chain) gym is a bad idea, over worked and underpaid. Online training is the future, that's how you make real money.
How would I go about learning how to create an online training program? And from what I've heard yes a lot of guys are underpaid at big gyms. But I have a little girl on the way in 6 months and I want to be already started with this!!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How would I go about learning how to create an online training program? And from what I've heard yes a lot of guys are underpaid at big gyms. But I have a little girl on the way in 6 months and I want to be already started with this!!
http://articles.elitefts.net/

Isnt a bad place to start looking for ideas