Supplements on an empty stomach vs those to be taken with Food

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Does anyone have a list of those supplements to be taken on an empty stomach vs those to be taken with food? What about those that should be taken together vs those that shouldn't be taken together?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
the question is too vauge, be more specific about the supps your concerned with

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
food won't hurt it's benefits but may slow it's absorption. It would be well absorbed from an empty stomach too. If using for it's cognitive effects, taking it solo may be better.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I take alcar first thing in the AM while my coffee is brewing. After a cup or two of joe I'm usually pretty chipper. Supposedly BAC claims there's a study stating alcar gives a test boost if taken first thing in the AM..I don't buy it but for cognitive effects its definitely at its best early on an empty stomach..stacked with caffiene.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Actually, the post was meant to be vague - I'm not concerned with any specific supplement - but groups of supplements that fall into these categories.

For example, I've heard that certain supplements should be taken together (e.g., Alcar, Tyrosine, (DMAE??) on an empty stomach, and others should be taken with food (e.g., 1AD). I've also heard that certain supplements shoudn't be taken together (e.g. ZMA and Calcium), while others should (Vit E and selenium). Most of this seems a bit arbitrary, but I'm sure there is supporting data. I think this might be a good reference as general guidance.

So, does anyone have recommendations for combinations, supplements not to take in combination, and more generally those to be taken with food and those better taken on an empty stomach?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Actually, the post was meant to be vague - I'm not concerned with any specific supplement - but groups of supplements that fall into these categories.

For example, I've heard that certain supplements should be taken together (e.g., Alcar, Tyrosine, (DMAE??) on an empty stomach, and others should be taken with food (e.g., 1AD). I've also heard that certain supplements shoudn't be taken together (e.g. ZMA and Calcium), while others should (Vit E and selenium). Most of this seems a bit arbitrary, but I'm sure there is supporting data. I think this might be a good reference as general guidance.

So, does anyone have recommendations for combinations, supplements not to take in combination, and more generally those to be taken with food and those better taken on an empty stomach?

OK, got the point. I'll make it simple:

Actually, no real generalizations can be made with nootropics. Some are probably very synergistic, but this is highly variable from one person to another. You just have to experiment. DMEA is opposed by many OTC anti-histamines and anti-cholinergics.

As for anti-oxidants (selenium, Vit.E) they are best taken together to enhance survival of each other. Taking a cheap one like Vitamin C with an expensive one like pycnogenol can help you get the most miles from it.

Minerals can compete with one another for absorbtion from the gut and in their physiological roles. That's why ZMA and calcium should be taken apart. Mg/Ca fall into this catagory, but with chelated minerals, this is less important. This is a very basic break down (it's not really this simple) but easy to understand.

Non-esterfied and non-alkylated hormones (1AD) should be taken with food because they are fat soluble and this promotes absorbtion. A fatty meal is best, and 'ones show superior abs.

Single, specific amino acids should be taken alone on an empty stomach to get the greatest desired effect (alcar, tyrosine.) Especially if you are looking for a cetral effect. No carbs allowed and no protein at all.