Fractionated Coconut Oil vs MCT Oil

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I'm having trouble finding the answer to this, but are these one and the same thing? As far as I can tell they are, with the only difference being in the marketing (and price!). PVL Essentials for example, state their MCT oil is 100% fractionated coconut oil, nothing else, with 100% MCT's. Fractionated Coconut Oil (sold under that name, also called 'carrier oil') is marketed for moisturising skin and conditioning hair etc. but as far as I can tell, it's the same thing, 100% MCT's? Is it?? Am I missing something here, because Fractionated Coconut Oil is less than half the price! Maybe it's a licensing thing, and they simply can't sell/advertise it as an 'oral' product for consumption, even though it's the same thing?

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, seems to be the exact same thing. I saw one company advertising theirs for use in mayonnaise.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doesn't really matter where that MCT oil comes from TBH. If you're using it as a source for quick conversion to ketones, they should all more or less work the same.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
no clue, but interested.

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
In my honest opinion, I say just eat straight Virgin coconut oil. Much better for you to.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
In my honest opinion, I say just eat straight Virgin coconut oil. Much better for you to.
Well, nothing wrong with coconut oil, but MCT oil is the C8 and C10 caprylic and capric acids alone (the important ones), and coconut oil is at most 60% MCT (often much less). Personally, I cook with coconut oil all the time. Just use MCT in my coffee.

As a follow up, I spoke with a supplier of 'fractionated coconut oil', who are selling it as a moisturiser etc. and they told me it was not suitable for human consumption due to it's transportation methods and packaging. So there you go.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 3
Supplements 9
Company Promotions 0
Supplements 31
Supplements 55