Oxidative Phosphorolation?

dr.mattdogg

Awards
OK here we go, ive been reading over some usnic acid info and was just kinda curious if any of u guys could varify some stuff for me. So far ive learned that its an uncoupler, which stops ATP synthesis. So in other words, in the krebs cycle instead of NAPH being oxidized to NAP+ to form ATP, it instead generates heat? Also ive read that this forces ur body to make ATP out of other things such as fatty acids. But dont these fats break down into glucose eventually to which go back into the krebs cycle. so i guess im just wondering if any of u could give me an more detailed explanation of how ur boby gets ATP after the upcoupling. or how ur body gets ATP from fat?

well i hope that wastn too confusing, hope someone can claify, thnx :D

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Ok, the best example I can give for all to understand is one I heard a few years ago....

Your mitochondria makes a electrochemical gradient. This gradient is comparable to a balloon (dont laugh, you'll see). This ballon is designed to create and maintain balance (your body's own equilibrium). If you allow more 'air' into the balloon, obviously the more work you can do. Say UA comes in and puts little holes in this balloon, so now the 'balloon' and body have to work harder to maintain balance, this is where your question comes in I believe.....

Now eventually the proton gradienti s no more (this is a good thing), thus uncoupling the electron transport system from the oxidative phosphorylation. Now you said ATP synthesis was stopped, not exactly true. (Im assuming it acts much like DNP, DNP is more of my area, WYD knows UA better than myself). UA jus slows down the effiency in which it produces ATP.

Hope this helps at least a little bit...

dr.mattdogg

Awards
well sorta but i figured if the ATP sythesis was slowed, that the electrical gradient would build up instead of dissappating. since all the H+'s have no where to go, wouldnt they just stick around in the inner membrane. and hows this "punching holes" thing work?

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Ok....Essentially the holes are developed by the energy that is stored in the macronutrients are transferred to the ATP molecule but UA disrupts this process. Instead of making ATP from macronutrients, the potential energy is just turned into heat. (Thus the 'holes' in the balloon). UA will limit substrate utilization to convey to ATP, thus making the work harder, thus putting off heat, thus the thermogenic effects that speed up the basal metabolic rate by up to 50%, this is where the weight is lost on UA (or DNP)

As for the hydrogen molecule, this is why anti-oxidants are recommended when on UA. An extra electron is lended to the hydrogen molecule, so in the end, this extra hydorgen molecule can be beneficial and used up.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by dr.mattdogg
OK here we go, ive been reading over some usnic acid info and was just kinda curious if any of u guys could varify some stuff for me. So far ive learned that its an uncoupler, which stops ATP synthesis. So in other words, in the krebs cycle instead of NAPH being oxidized to NAP+ to form ATP, it instead generates heat? Also ive read that this forces ur body to make ATP out of other things such as fatty acids. But dont these fats break down into glucose eventually to which go back into the krebs cycle. so i guess im just wondering if any of u could give me an more detailed explanation of how ur boby gets ATP after the upcoupling. or how ur body gets ATP from fat?

well i hope that wastn too confusing, hope someone can claify, thnx :D
Ok let see if I can answer your question.  As for oxidative phosphorylation.  <SPAN class=class>The electrons that are released during the oxidative breakdown of nutrients are stored in NADA and FADH2. Oxidative phosphorylation is the process that utilizes NADH and FADH2 to create ATP and recovers NAD+ and FAD.  The electrons are transfered from NADH and FADH2 to oxygen in the process, yielding water. Glucose is oxidized to carbon dioxide by the reactions of glycolysis and the krebs cycle.  </SPAN>

<SPAN class=class>When using an uncoupler, the body uncouples the process of oxidation and phosphorylation and is hindered in its conversion of glucose to ATP.  From this, 2 things happen.  1.  The energy released from the oxidation of NADH and FADH is dissipated as heat.  2nd, the body has a need to generate ATP from another source to support its requirements (ie fatty acids).  Your fatty acids are converted to energy in the process of fatty acid oxidation that takes place in the liver cells.  In this process, fatty acids are attached to units that consist of 2 carbon atoms.  The resulting units, acetyl-coa, are converted to ATP in the kreb's cycle. </SPAN>

<SPAN class=class>Hope this helps clear some things up.  Let me know if you have more questions.</SPAN>

<SPAN class=class>Thanks</SPAN>

<SPAN class=class>WYD</SPAN>

<SPAN class=class></SPAN> 

dr.mattdogg

Awards
yeah guys thnx for the info, that helped a lot actually. im a biology major so im familiar with the krebs cycle and all that junk but just was tryin to prove a friend wrong. he told me that UA doubles ATP synthesis, but from what ive read and what u all have told me, looks like i was right to begin with.

just like to say how much i like ur guys site here. very helpful. i was disappointed when fitnessboard closed, but this is just as good if not better. keep up the good work fellas!!! :D

primal1

Awards
  • Established
does anyone else get weker when on ua? would this be do to the hindered atp production?

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
ATP production remains consistent. Your body needs to provide itself with energy be it from glucose or fatty acids and will do whatever it needs to keep this level where it needs to be. UA simply alters the state from which the body derives it source of ATP.

WYD