Does this happen with anyone else?

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I ended up taking a break from a lot of supplements, minus BCAAs and caffeine.

So I noticed that I'm leaner and holding less water and I think it's due to me dropping whey protein.

Does anyone else blow up like a balloon on whey? I always felt like it have me Gi issues but never realized how bad.

I've just been having chicken (or any meat) with rice or sweet potatoes post workout and it seems to work a lot better.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I have long talked about this..
shakes will create a bit of a bloated, watery look in anyone..the more one relies on these things for sustenance/meal replacements, the more exponential it will be
and if one says they do not notice this, it is simply due to one of three reasons:

1 - the person is not observant enough or honest enough with themselves to see it
2 - they are overweight to begin with, so cannot tell any difference
3 - they don't know enough to look for it to begin with (ie ignorance & cluelessness)

solid whole foods should always be preferred to shakes and MRPs

good for you that you noticed this - there is hope for you yet :)

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Shakes make you shake :) teeheee

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have long talked about this.. shakes will create a bit of a bloated, watery look in anyone..the more one relies on these things for sustenance/meal replacements, the more exponential it will be and if one says they do not notice this, it is simply due to one of three reasons: 1 - the person is not observant enough or honest enough with themselves to see it 2 - they are overweight to begin with, so cannot tell any difference 3 - they don't know enough to look for it to begin with (ie ignorance & cluelessness) solid whole foods should always be preferred to shakes and MRPs good for you that you noticed this - there is hope for you yet :)
Aha snag I'm a lost cause man! I only had 1 scoop maybe 2 a day. I was wondering why the hell my gut was so bloated and then on my off days I noticed I was leaner just eating whole food (not even BCAAs) and I put two and two together. Honestly I don't even like many supplements. Food is literally the best thing ever.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Aha snag I'm a lost cause man! I only had 1 scoop maybe 2 a day. I was wondering why the hell my gut was so bloated and then on my off days I noticed I was leaner just eating whole food (not even BCAAs) and I put two and two together. Honestly I don't even like many supplements. Food is literally the best thing ever.
ahh you know I was only rattling your cage bud..
srs tho - I am impressed that you observed this, many ppl go their whole lives and never figure this out
kudos

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ahh you know I was only rattling your cage bud.. srs tho - I am impressed that you observed this, many ppl go their whole lives and never figure this out kudos
I know man, I don't take anything personally on the interwebZz.

Well thanks! I feel like a lot of money will be saved =D

Save up for some real gear down the road like in 5 years aha.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i don't notice much bloat from whey, especially if it's an isolate like Isotean or something

but when i eat eggs in the morning, it is terible, i'm bloated for like 4 hours every morning...makes breakfast on a cut really difficult

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I recently noticed the same thing, hadn't had a protein shake in a few weeks and I'm less gassy and noticeably less bloated. Had a protein smoothie at the new shop at our gym last week and felt bloated the rest of the day and it made my stomach hurt. I was just so in a routine of making a shake after a workout, kinda glad to be freed of that for now!

Wilsy7

Wilsy7

Awards
  • Established
This has no effect on me, could be a number of things. Quality of the 'whey' your taking or possibly you have a slight intolerance. Saying that I take one shake a day so it won't matter much to me whether I take it or not.

amarula

Awards
I have long talked about this..
shakes will create a bit of a bloated, watery look in anyone..the more one relies on these things for sustenance/meal replacements, the more exponential it will be
and if one says they do not notice this, it is simply due to one of three reasons:

1 - the person is not observant enough or honest enough with themselves to see it
2 - they are overweight to begin with, so cannot tell any difference
3 - they don't know enough to look for it to begin with (ie ignorance & cluelessness)

solid whole foods should always be preferred to shakes and MRPs

good for you that you noticed this - there is hope for you yet :)
Why? Is there any science behind your statement?

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Why? Is there any science behind your statement?
lots of reasons, not limited to the digestion process itself, coloring/taste additives (among others), source/processing method used, individual metabolism/hormonal profile..
I'm not the science guy who is gonna give you studies to support this, simply sharing the universal (yes read that right - universal ie no exceptions) reality i have observed over many many yrs and from many many different ppl (shapes sizes ethnicity etc etc)

not sure science would even care to conduct a study on this attribute, lol..would be interesting to see the controls and parameters used tho

amarula

Awards
lots of reasons, not limited to the digestion process itself, coloring/taste additives (among others), source/processing method used, individual metabolism/hormonal profile..
I'm not the science guy who is gonna give you studies to support this, simply sharing the universal (yes read that right - universal ie no exceptions) reality i have observed over many many yrs and from many many different ppl (shapes sizes ethnicity etc etc)

not sure science would even care to conduct a study on this attribute, lol..would be interesting to see the controls and parameters used tho
Wouldn't be easy to find others that universally say whey and/or casein is a great source of protein?

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Wouldn't be easy to find others that universally say whey and/or casein is a great source of protein?
sure
and that would be totally irrelevant to the issue you have first brought up, or what this thread is all about

isn't easy to skew the issue and try to discuss apples and oranges, just to be argumentative?

I am not anti-protein powder .. however, I am pro-food

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Sure it is, but people don't have to drink it. We have teeth for a reason. People talk as if protein supplements are drugs or something other than just liquid protein. It's really annoying when people say I "take" one scoop of protein a day...Really?. How did you "take" it?. Anally?.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sure it is, but people don't have to drink it. We have teeth for a reason. People talk as if protein supplements are drugs or something other than just liquid protein. It's really annoying when people say I "take" one scoop of protein a day...Really?. How did you "take" it?. Anally?.
i only take protean anally post workout on leg day! comeon! but i gotta say the chocolate flavor leaves the room smelling like the hershey's factory, if you catch my drift

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I can't say I've ever noticed this phenomenon. I have been using RawFusion of late.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
i only take protean anally post workout on leg day! comeon!
shrewd
receptor acclimation factor of anal reactivity downgrades exponentially with overuse of this method..you sir are ahead of the game!

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
shrewd receptor acclimation factor of anal reactivity downgrades exponentially with overuse of this method..you sir are ahead of the game!

Actually I heard taking protean rectally increases Fsh/lh output and should be used instead of a serm for pct.... Insane resultzzzzzzxx

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Amen to this.

Although on an off note- a friend of mine who is very intelligent (graduated top of the year)- told me he was telling people to avoid protein because it may be banned by WADA. :think:

He didnt know that protein was literally just protein lol.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
If I'm cutting and I want to shave off more calories I started using shakes for 2-3 meals. I also use extra virgin olive oil as my fat source for 2-3 (usually 3) meals.

The quality of the protein matters a lot also (just like it's been mentioned before). I've seen a lot of people purchase X or Y because "it was so cheap" and they don't realize that they are just paying for lower quality protein. A great one for example is protein concentrate, I don't even purchase protein powders that have different mixes of proteins in them (ie whey concentrate, isolate, egg, casien, and...)

amarula

Awards
I agree 100%. I just don't believe that to achieve your best you should consume only whole food

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Without a doubt, you'll hold less water eating meat than if you drink shakes. Knowing a ton of competitors personally, they all share this feedback and belief.

Since I dont compete, I get to enjoy being fat and happy, and consume plenty of shakes ;) I can attest first hand, they do bloat you up haha.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree 100%. I just don't believe that to achieve your best you should consume only whole food

O rly? So you're sucked into what the supplement companies wanted you to think. Food is all you need. No need to buy these huge freaking stacks, food and some type of preworkout is all you need. I just prefer not look and feel bloated, I feel like ass. GIMMMIE GROUND BEEEEEEEF ANYYDAY over protein powder!

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
So I ended up taking a break from a lot of supplements, minus BCAAs and caffeine.

So I noticed that I'm leaner and holding less water and I think it's due to me dropping whey protein.

Does anyone else blow up like a balloon on whey? I always felt like it have me Gi issues but never realized how bad.

I've just been having chicken (or any meat) with rice or sweet potatoes post workout and it seems to work a lot better.
Have you ever been tested for a lactose allergy before ?

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Without a doubt, you'll hold less water eating meat than if you drink shakes. Knowing a ton of competitors personally, they all share this feedback and belief.

Since I dont compete, I get to enjoy being fat and happy, and consume plenty of shakes ;) I can attest first hand, they do bloat you up haha.
i laffed :p
indeed tho - i first learned of this myself when prepping for a show, trying to be my best aesthetically...and then later carried it over to my clients i worked with who were concerned with body comp/tightening up & bloat issues..saw it had relevance outside of simply a bb'ing prep

I just don't believe that to achieve your best you should consume only whole food
no one is trying to shove the idea down your throat friend
free will and all that, you are free to believe what you want
perhaps try it yourself, monitor closely, and come to your own conclusion?
or, simply don't worry about it, at all

O rly? So you're sucked into what the supplement companies wanted you to think. Food is all you need. No need to buy these huge freaking stacks, food and some type of preworkout is all you need. I just prefer not look and feel bloated, I feel like ass. GIMMMIE GROUND BEEEEEEEF ANYYDAY over protein powder!
these freakin supplement companies and reps, always out to take my money..bastards!

err, wait
:ntome:

amarula

Awards
All you need is love, not food.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you ever been tested for a lactose allergy before ?
It's on and off, which I understand happens anyway due to the lac operon being stimulated of not to make lactase. But the odd thing is I drink lactose free milk and I get stomach aches then in a week I'll drink whole milk and nothing. I don't really understand it to be honest lol.

YA SNAGS! You damn rep get outtytttaaaaaaaaaaaa hurrrrrrrr

chris223

Awards
  • Established
Really? A preworkout is a necessity? Sounds like you're the one who's been sucked in by marketing.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really? A preworkout is a necessity? Sounds like you're the one who's been sucked in by marketing.
I think some type of pre workout is always needed. IMO.

Energy
Pump
Focus
Endurance

Whichever is important or needed at the time. But i don't see a problem needing or wanting extra of the above effects.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
By preworkout I only use caffeine, creatine and beta alanine. When you're awake for 36 hours, any stimulants are a necessity. I don't buy bull**** under dosed pre workouts.

Me thinks you're mad btw ;)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If you want a protein shake, have a protein shake. I recommend:

150g Steak (medium rare, diced)
500ml Water

Blended for 30 minutes until refined.

Protein shake.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Ya because good ground beef doesn't cost $5/lb. It's not that we don't want to eat ground beef like a boss everyday, it's the fact that protein powders are way cheaper.

And some pre-workout is not all you need. Vitamins is what you really need. And don't pull that 36hrs thing, I will bet that you haven't pulled that many 36hrs. I've seen students that have been up that long take 30-40mg of IR adderall and they are still meh in the gym.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ya because good ground beef doesn't cost $5/lb. It's not that we don't want to eat ground beef like a boss everyday, it's the fact that protein powders are way cheaper.

And some pre-workout is not all you need. Vitamins is what you really need. And don't pull that 36hrs thing, I will bet that you haven't pulled that many 36hrs. I've seen students that have been up that long take 30-40mg of IR adderall and they are still meh in the gym.
Find me a good quality protein powder that is less than $5 a pound. Unless I'm miss understanding something here, it sounds like you are saying that protein powder is cheaper than regular food.

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Find me a good quality protein powder that is less than $5 a pound. Unless I'm miss understanding something here, it sounds like you are saying that protein powder is cheaper than regular food.
Because it's true.

Whey is about $10/lb and a 5lb tub is approximately 67 scoops (ON Gold, Trutein) at 24g serving. So for $50 you get 1608g.

PES (which this forum is obsessed with) is $27 for 2lb, so $50 is almost 2 tubs at 24g x 27 x 2 tubs = 1296g.

Lean ground beef (93%+, which also doesn't taste as good as 85/15 or 90/10) is over $5/lb, so approximately 9.5lbs for $50. 4oz has 23g so 9.5lbs has 38 4oz servings. 38 x 23 = 874g protein.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
150g Steak
dude that's less than 5.5oz of steak there...
what ima do with that? make hors douvres?

Ya because good ground beef doesn't cost $5/lb.
i buy 96% lean beef for that, and usually it's on sale for $4.49/lb tbh
Vitamins is what you really need.
vitamins are cool, i take mine
but, many "educated" ppl will tell you vitamins are a waste
truth be told, many (maybe most) vitamins leave MUCH to be desired, are woefully sourced/manufactured, a waste - and, potentially toxic

Find me a good quality protein powder that is less than $5 a pound..
hmmm...quite simply, i cannot
but to keep perspective in play here, more servings per lb of protein powder than servings in lb of beef
gotta play fair, holmes

blacklac

blacklac

Awards

Way less protein in a pound of lean beef vs a pound of powder, though.

Well, not way less. Less. I think eggs are cheaper gram for gram, maybe?

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
it sounds like you are saying that protein powder is cheaper than regular food.
note - he says regular food here..

Because it's true.
hmmm...i can argue with that
chicken breast on sale can be had for $2 or less per lb
your example mathematical formula has holes, since you are only comparing to beef
hell, want another example? canned tuna (albacore at that) can be had on sale for a buck per 5oz, if you want to scrape bottom of barrel for comparisons sake

BUT in any event:
so are we now arguing and rationalizing our protein intake and utilization preferences, based on the cheapness of the purchase price?? seems to me, things continue to get skewed all over the place in here

a cheaper price does not always equate to better value, in this life

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
All I know is that it is BBQ season.

I love my recipes and shakes with powders but they are only to meet macro targets.

Blender & Oven will be taking the backstage for a while I'm gettin' my steak on.

Had a nice visit with my butcher today. Pork chops tomorrow, and cooking some chicken ahead of time to portion out and have ready.

Until a protein pulls off a juicy meat flavour its no contest.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya because good ground beef doesn't cost $5/lb. It's not that we don't want to eat ground beef like a boss everyday, it's the fact that protein powders are way cheaper. And some pre-workout is not all you need. Vitamins is what you really need. And don't pull that 36hrs thing, I will bet that you haven't pulled that many 36hrs. I've seen students that have been up that long take 30-40mg of IR adderall and they are still meh in the gym.
I haven't done it often, but it blows when I do. No adderal either, I don't mess with it.

Eh vitamins, blah blah if you eat food you'll get everything. Have a very good and open diet and you'll get all the vitamins and nutrients you need. I barley take my
Multi anymore.

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
note - he says regular food here.. hmmm...i can argue with that chicken breast on sale can be had for $2 or less per lb your example mathematical formula has holes, since you are only comparing to beef hell, want another example? canned tuna (albacore at that) can be had on sale for a buck per 5oz, if you want to scrape bottom of barrel for comparisons sake BUT in any event: so are we now arguing and rationalizing our protein intake and utilization preferences, based on the cheapness of the purchase price?? seems to me, things continue to get skewed all over the place in here a cheaper price does not always equate to better value, in this life
I get you like to argue with everyone, but the poster had brought up beef and the comparison was to $5/lb ground beef. So my argument was completely valid and correct for the current conversation.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Point is that its much cheaper to not supplement with protein and it's the absolute least needed supplement. It may even be more beneficial not to. I don't know about $5 per pound ground beef, no way I'd spend that much on ground beef. 80/20. Why compare the most expensive forms of food to protein powder?. I drink protein powder sometimes when I can afford too, only reason is though because of convenience and because I'm too damn lazy to cook sometimes. That's a personal fault of my own though and I admit to it.

Like I said before we have teeth for a reason.

http://healthyteeth.org/different-kinds-of-teeth/

The Incisors are the teeth in the very front. They’re the sharpest teeth, built to cut food and shaped to shovel the food inward.

The Canine teeth are in the corners of your mouth. Because they’re meant for grasping and tearing food, they have very long roots.

Premolars are located just behind your Canine teeth. Premolars have a more flat chewing surface because they’re meant for crushing food.

The Molars are the last teeth towards the back of your mouth. Molars are much bigger than the Premolars and have bigger, flatter chewing surfaces because their job is to chew and grind the food into smaller pieces.

See cut and paste job above.