Costco's whey protein review

andro69

andro69

Awards
  • Established
Finally opened up the Costco brand whey protein I had in the pantry for 2 weeks. Bavarian chocolate. I don't know of the quality of this stuff but the taste is pretty d*** good. Best whey i've tasted yet. For only $20 is seems like a steal. Ok review over. Carry on.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Finally opened up the Costco brand whey protein I had in the pantry for 2 weeks. Bavarian chocolate. I don't know of the quality of this stuff but the taste is pretty d*** good. Best whey i've tasted yet. For only $20 is seems like a steal. Ok review over. Carry on.
Can you give more info? Nutritional info? Ingredient list please? How big's the container?(5lbs hopefully).

My nearest Costco is over an hour away and I've never been there, so if this stuff is really decent it would be a good excuse.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
^^^
what he said

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Costco's whey tastes OK, but I'm not crazy about it: the protein per serving isn't great, especially w/ the size of that damn scoop (what is it, 93 grams?), and it's got little to no isolate in it& the carbs are high (all this is from memory: I finally emptied the jug & no longer have the label).

much prefer Optimum's 100% whey: >50% WPI, v.low carbs, no "gastric effects"....

hey Deoudes, who's the guy in your avatar?

(ps - I had the vanilla - which, strangely, had a hint of pineapple to it)

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
yeah, i just finished two jugs of costco's whey protein. the values aren't that far off from ON 100% whey protein, but it doesn't mix as well. i'll stick with my ON for now.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
hey Deoudes, who's the guy in your avatar?

Dan Morgan, LB Carolina Panthers - Former Star at Miami (1st round pick) made the probowl for the 1st time this year (over Brian Urlacher).
Urlacher missed nearly the whole year with injuries, but Morgan only played in 12 games himself.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
First, let me state that I am only speaking from a purely personal opinion here...

I would never bother using protein from Costco. For the same reason I don't get my creatine at Wal-Mart or buy CVS brand EFA caps. They may be fine, but I would have no real confidence in them. To me, there is hardly a inkling of a reason to buy supps from places like this. You can get by on the cheap using some 'real' names if you want, or you can simply bite the bullet and get better quality, or product you can at least be confident in being good quality, by paying a reasonable price.

Like I said, its just my personal feeling.

My dad was once a top-notch golfer and frequently said that the best clubs for you were the ones you had confidence in, rather than any given name-brand. I'm sure Tiger Woods could dust most people on the course using $79.95 K-Mart clubs, but for me, they just wouldn't 'feel' right in my hand and I'm sure my score would drop considerably the second I put those clubs in my bag.

I work too hard in the gym to not believe that my supplement choices are quality and will help me. If you don't have this hang-up (?) and you can feel good about using Wal-Mart this and Costco that... then more power to ya! :)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
i tend to agree, if GNC doesn't meet label claims, mass-producers like Walmart and Costco probably fail too.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
The Costco protein gave me intestional distress issues.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
I LOVE COSTCO'S WHEY PROTIEN

enough so that i used all caps, there ingredents can be argued better then ON's (if what they say is true) and taste is good, mixing alittle hard but with a bottle shaker no biggy, not mention the better value if your a costco member.

Deccadick

Deccadick

Awards
Are you referring to the Kirkland vitamin/supplement line at Costco? I didn't see any costco brand whey, but I picked up a 5lb jug of Sportspharma low carb Whey there for 19.99. Surprised, I didn't think Sportspharma was still around.

protomike

protomike

Awards
  • Established
eh, i was stupid and bought some of the vanilla and chocolate protein from costco last year thinkin it might have been a good deal... wasn't a big fan of it. taste didn't seem to be all there and it didn't seem to mix all that great either. who knows, maybe they changed up the formula, but i would rather go with substance or on's whey. on a side note, i got sick of using it for my pwo shake that i just started using it with sugar free/fat free pudding mix for a snack... it was the only way that i could get rid of it all.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would never bother using protein from Costco. For the same reason I don't get my creatine at Wal-Mart or buy CVS brand EFA caps. They may be fine, but I would have no real confidence in them. To me, there is hardly a inkling of a reason to buy supps from places like this. You can get by on the cheap using some 'real' names if you want, or you can simply bite the bullet and get better quality, or product you can at least be confident in being good quality, by paying a reasonable price.

I work too hard in the gym to not believe that my supplement choices are quality and will help me. If you don't have this hang-up (?) and you can feel good about using Wal-Mart this and Costco that... then more power to ya! :)
Reps for you! :thumbsup:

If half the people who bought that stuff worked a week in the supplement industry, they'd stay far away from those mass-produced tubs of freeze-dried sewage.. ;)

sogone2day

sogone2day

Awards
  • Established
I work at costco and I wouldn't buy from them. I hate my job but we did get a $2 raise. An the pay $4 extra an hour on sundays. Not bad for a summer job. I don't think it is even that much cheaper buy stuff there. I'd stick to my Optimum Nutrition it only about $70cdn for a 10lb bag.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Coscto carries Wellements® Premium Pro-Rated. They do not carry a Kirkland brand to my knowledge. Take a look at the profile.

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
I live in Arizona, where Wellements (HDT) is based out of. I was told by somebody that they make the protein for costco.

Costcos protein is PRO BLEND 55

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Costco carries the Premium Pro-Rated in chocolate and vanilla only. It is in my cupboard.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is near and above on most of the amino profiles of ON and the price and convenience makes it work for me. Costco is up the street from me and I can get a couple three 6lb bags with no shipping. I only use it twice a day and not too bad on my GI..

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
I work at costco and I wouldn't buy from them. I hate my job but we did get a $2 raise. An the pay $4 extra an hour on sundays. Not bad for a summer job. I don't think it is even that much cheaper buy stuff there. I'd stick to my Optimum Nutrition it only about $70cdn for a 10lb bag.
It can be cheaper to order from board sponsers.
cc