Antioxidants around workout

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is your opinion about taking antioxidant ( vitamin c, vitamin E, NAC) before or after workout? Sometimes ago this was a must, then there were studies saying taking them prior to workout could act as pro oxidant. And now it seems people are avoiding them around workout thinking taking them around workout could be counter productive.
Personally I'm still taking NAC before or after and vitamin C after. And vitamin E with the food following my workout.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I would avoid anti-oxidants and anything that may possess anti-inflammatory properties 2-4 hours peri-workout. I don't see a need to supplement Vit. C or E at all honestly.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Vitamin C can blunt cortisol release during/ after workout.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why would you? I can understand needing some inflammation for growth. But cortisol..? As long as I can remember the consensus has always been trying to minimize training related cortisol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why would you? I can understand needing some inflammation for growth. But cortisol..? As long as I can remember the consensus has always been trying to minimize training related cortisol.
Think along the lines of insulin when it comes to cortisol. It's not the spikes that cause the issue; it's chronic elevation.

Cortisol is a stress hormone and you want to stress the body so it has a stimulus.

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
what if you trained late night, and get back need to take your multi with food lol then your fuked orange triaid has heaps in it lol :((

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All of the biolayne videos are terrific. Well worth the watch when you get a chance (most are sans the low flying airplanes as well).
Truth.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yes it can. The net result? Worsened recovery (human data)
Just to add to this post, and in relation to the video I posted, don't think of cortisol as anabolic by any stretch. The acute effect from training is usually indicative of an effective workout.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Right, but doesn't blunting this acute increase of cortisol with phosphotidyl serine or 7oxo (not taking about Vitamin c since it's linked to worsened recovery) improve recovery? Or is blunting this acute cortisol release (by whatever compound even other than antioxidants) linked to worsened recovery mentioned by coop?

In other term is taking 'anti cortisol' supplements around workout a good idea?

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I read somewhere that vitamin E is also a bad idea around workout. But what about NAC? Same as the two other antioxicdants? Do you think all antioxidants should be avoided around workout?

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
Right, but doesn't blunting this acute increase of cortisol with phosphotidyl serine or 7oxo (not taking about Vitamin c since it's linked to worsened recovery) improve recovery? Or is blunting this acute cortisol release (by whatever compound even other than antioxidants) linked to worsened recovery mentioned by coop?

In other term is taking 'anti cortisol' supplements around workout a good idea?

i would like to know this to mr.cooper69 , i have been taking the og Erase after training (Armistane) and once new erase pro

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Cortisol control products unrelated to antioxidants are fine to take periworkout. The issue is specific to antioxidants and hormesis

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Question on an old post.

Is worsened recovery related to blunted cortisol release or just anti oxidant effect? Does any body have studies/data cooper is referring to?

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Cortisol control products unrelated to antioxidants are fine to take periworkout. The issue is specific to antioxidants and hormesis
I'm guessing this is related to the fact that they're selective.

In any case this is a very interesting topic. for example, in elderly men nsaids have been shown to be beneficial, but not so much in young. why? elderly suffer chronic inflammation which is treated by nsaids and outweighs the benefits of acute exercise induced inflammation. in younger individuals nsaids would block the acute response, while not treating anything.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Question on an old post.

Is worsened recovery related to blunted cortisol release or just anti oxidant effect? Does any body have studies/data cooper is referring to?
It's unrelated to cortisol. A certain level of oxidative stress appears to be needed...excess is bad however

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So are you guys saying I should quit drinking beer while I workout since beer has shown to be an antioxidant? Lol Although I usually drink miller lite so its probably not as high in antiox as dark beer.

TheNietzsche

TheNietzsche

Awards
So are you guys saying I should quit drinking beer while I workout since beer has shown to be an antioxidant? Lol Although I usually drink miller lite so its probably not as high in antiox as dark beer.
I advise against beer periworkout for reasons other than antioxidant activity.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Lol at the beer. Here's an actual question: how much would you guys avoid supplementing stuff like vitamin C (I.e. multivitamin for me) and omega 3s around a workout? I usually take the former pre workout and the later post, I'm wondering if I should change this.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Lol at the beer. Here's an actual question: how much would you guys avoid supplementing stuff like vitamin C (I.e. multivitamin for me) and omega 3s around a workout? I usually take the former pre workout and the later post, I'm wondering if I should change this.
Drop the omega 3s for sure, have them another time
Vit c is fine as long as you aren't mega-dosing it

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Drop the omega 3s for sure, have them another time
Vit c is fine as long as you aren't mega-dosing it
we'll my usual preworkout consists of 300mg KNO3 + 600mg Vit C + multi V (300mg) so yeah it's a pretty high dose, but afaik you don't want to take nitrates without vit C...

I'll have to move the omega 3s to between my workout and before night time (since I do cjc/ipamorelin at night).