good meal replacement shake in a can?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Answers

good meal replacement shake in a can?

anybody know of a good mrp in a can? preferably lower sugar maybe, i want to have a can sitting ny the bed to drink in the middle of the night. a guy suggested ensure, but i don't want a bunch of soy crap! it would be nice to have a decent whey/casein blend? i may just have to make my own & keep it in a cooler.

2. Registered User
    Answers

i don't know if you can buy it in a can or not but my choice would be myoplex lite. it is a whey/casein blend with 25g of protein and 18g of carbs with only 2 of those being sugar.
  3. Gold Member
    Answers

I would recommend making your own. However, Cytosport now produces their MuscleMilk in a drink-box (RTD), not a can. If money isn't an issue go with pre-made. EAS also is a decent brand consisting of what you may want, Myoplex RTD. There's definately a lot more that could be plugged.

Muscle Milk RTD

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 1 container (17oz)

Servings Per Container: 1

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Calories 350 .
    Calories from fat 150 .
    Total Fat 17g 26%
    Saturated Fat 7g 36%
    Cholesterol 5mg 2%
    Total Carbohydrates 17g 6%
    Dietary Fiber 2g 10%
    Sugars 7g .
    Protein 34g 68%

EAS Myoplex RTD

Serving Size: 1 Shake (17 Fl Oz)
    Servings Per Container: 12

Amount Per Serving: Calories 310
    Calories from Fat 70
    Total Fat 7 g
    Saturated Fat 1 g
    Cholesterol 20 mg
    Total Carbohydrates 20 g
    Sugars 2 g
    Sodium 610 mg
    Potassium 910 mg
    Dietary Fiber 6 g
    Protein 43 g
    •   

4. Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
    Answers

Worldwide Pure Protein shake. Cal Caseinate[sux] and MPI blend:

http://www.vigorousliving.com/meulpuprsh12.html

Not the greatest taste[ok, it tastes like ass] but it's loaded with slow-digesting protein and only 3 carbs. Saw it at Trader Joe's tonight.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Tuna comes in a can.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone
    Tuna comes in a can.
    LOL!

The truest answer to your question JK, There isn't one.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

I personally like Optimum's Opti-Pro Meal. It's a good blend of protein types, lots of good vitamins, and not a lot of junk sugars. Pretty affordable in a 5-lb at DPS.

Another option is Biotest's Grow! protein--either regular or low-carb. Top-notch blend of micellar casein, whey, and the BEST flavor I've ever found. But it doesn't supply vitamins or fiber of any type.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Chippewa
    I personally like Optimum's Opti-Pro Meal. It's a good blend of protein types, lots of good vitamins, and not a lot of junk sugars. Pretty affordable in a 5-lb at DPS.

Another option is Biotest's Grow! protein--either regular or low-carb. Top-notch blend of micellar casein, whey, and the BEST flavor I've ever found. But it doesn't supply vitamins or fiber of any type.
    Biotest grow!. Hahaha thats pretty funny!. hahahaahah he said biotest!
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone
    Biotest grow!. Hahaha thats pretty funny!. hahahaahah he said biotest!
    Bwahahahaha You're just cracking me up today.

Wait a minute... I use Biotest stuff occasionally.
  10. Banned
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by riskarb
    Worldwide Pure Protein shake. Cal Caseinate[sux] and MPI blend:

http://www.vigorousliving.com/meulpuprsh12.html

Not the greatest taste[ok, it tastes like ass] but it's loaded with slow-digesting protein and only 3 carbs. Saw it at Trader Joe's tonight.
    you shop around GNC's and you can find those cans for next to nothing. when they're cold they're pretty good, and the caseinate and milk is great for sleepwalking protein feedings.
  11. Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by blank!
    you shop around GNC's and you can find those cans for next to nothing. when they're cold they're pretty good, and the caseinate and milk is great for sleepwalking protein feedings.

Yeah, it's a solid nighttime protein for sure... I get them at TJ's for $2.19 a can. Approx price at GNC?
  12. Banned
    Answers

Yeah, it's a solid nighttime protein for sure... I get them at TJ's for $2.19 a can. Approx price at GNC?
    gotta catch 'em when they're going out of date. as cheap as $.50, plus if you're there for gold card week...i catch hawthorne berry and fish oil on those sales too...sometimes protein powder too if the price is right.
  13. Registered User
    Answers

I have read that you should not go with a can but a soft box instead. There is some requirement to heat the contents if canned, which can cause degradation of protein. This isn't so with the boxes. Someone correct me if I have this wrong.

There is another option besides those mentioned above: Labrada Lean Body RTD Shake, which is in a box.

But, if I were you, I would go with packets and a shaker. All you do is add water and shake. I think if you do the arithmetic, you'll find this to be a much more cost effective way to go. I like VPX Micellean MRP, which you can buy 20 packets to a box for $34 at dps.
  14. Gold Member
    Answers

um i actually love biotest grow..prob the best tasting meal replacement out there for me.i hate biotest but grow is good
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by GuyinLA
    I have read that you should not go with a can but a soft box instead. There is some requirement to heat the contents if canned, which can cause degradation of protein. This isn't so with the boxes. Someone correct me if I have this wrong.

There is another option besides those mentioned above: Labrada Lean Body RTD Shake, which is in a box.

But, if I were you, I would go with packets and a shaker. All you do is add water and shake. I think if you do the arithmetic, you'll find this to be a much more cost effective way to go. I like VPX Micellean MRP, which you can buy 20 packets to a box for $34 at dps.
    Here's the scoop on protein RTDs:

Tetra packs (the cardboard cans) use Aseptic packaging. This involves the fluid contents being heated to 280-290 degrees for 5-10 seconds (note that whey proteins begin to denature around 200-210 degrees).

Canned RTDs use the Retort process which involves heating the entire filled can to 230-250 degrees for 6-10 minutes, and the high quality milk protein isolates and concentrates, including casein, used in such products as MET-Rx's RTD 40, 51, Carb Count, Lite, and Worldwide's Pure Protein shakes will not denature as whey protein substrates will.

In fact, Tetra (the manufacturer of those cardboard cans) openly admits that using this type of packaging for "protein based" drinks has represented a huge challenge and is still NOT perfected for higher protein beverages. They are still addressing huge issues as it pertains to actual protein re-hydration; the blending process of the protein solids into a liquid state. In addition, they are continually faced with transfer tube and heat exchange fouling--as caused by the protein gelling (due to the high temperatures and the protein inclusion)-- which has uncovered that using aseptic packaging for protein beverages requires special handling and cleaning of the equipment during runs (which has been shown to produce product inconsistencies).

The bottom line is that you're just not sure exactly how much useable protein you're getting in a cardboard container--stick with a canned RTD and play it safe.
  16. ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday
    ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday's Avatar

You can try the new INstone puddings that are in a can. They seem interesting. A quick shot of 20 grams of protein!
  17. Gold Member
    Answers

yea but they use soy..could have jsut used all milk isolate..
  18. Board Supporter
    Answers

They're either $2.24 or $2.06 I forgot, then if you have GC, 20% off that first week .
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

For those of you getting stuff from GNC, see if they give discounts to certain gym memebers. Even though I only go buy in person if I forget to order online, my gym membership card actually gives me 5% more than the gold card. Plus, the discount is ALL the time.

Ok....to keep this a little more on topic, I'd just mix some up in a shaker before bed and keep in the fridge. But for me walking to the fridge and back doesn't wake me up.
  20. Gold Member
    Answers

Shake-a-whey by Sci-Fit.
  21. Gold Member
    Answers

I like the Muscle Tech in a can. The strawberry is the best by far. I would also say the Instone puddin is good too.
  22. Registered User
    Answers

Muscle Milk RTD - cookies and cream flavor. My favorite tasting protein/MRP/RTD, hands down. If you have never tried them - do yourself a favor and give them a shot. You won't regret it. You'll be wondering why in the hell you ever spent money on an EAS, Muscletech or Optimum RTD.
  23. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by blank!
    At Vitamin World we sell those Worldwide Nutrition RTD shakes for $10 bucks a case and buy 1 get 1 free.
  24. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jones

In fact, Tetra (the manufacturer of those cardboard cans) openly admits that using this type of packaging for "protein based" drinks has represented a huge challenge and is still NOT perfected for higher protein beverages. They are still addressing huge issues as it pertains to actual protein re-hydration; the blending process of the protein solids into a liquid state. In addition, they are continually faced with transfer tube and heat exchange fouling--as caused by the protein gelling (due to the high temperatures and the protein inclusion)-- which has uncovered that using aseptic packaging for protein beverages requires special handling and cleaning of the equipment during runs (which has been shown to produce product inconsistencies).

Source?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Meal replacement shakes?? Yes or no?
    By GTO4me in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM
  2. Best meal replacement shakes
    By jamesm11 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 07:25 PM
  3. Replies: 16