good meal replacement shake in a can?

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
anybody know of a good mrp in a can? preferably lower sugar maybe, i want to have a can sitting ny the bed to drink in the middle of the night. a guy suggested ensure, but i don't want a bunch of soy crap! it would be nice to have a decent whey/casein blend? i may just have to make my own & keep it in a cooler.

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
i don't know if you can buy it in a can or not but my choice would be myoplex lite. it is a whey/casein blend with 25g of protein and 18g of carbs with only 2 of those being sugar.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
I would recommend making your own. However, Cytosport now produces their MuscleMilk in a drink-box (RTD), not a can. If money isn't an issue go with pre-made. EAS also is a decent brand consisting of what you may want, Myoplex RTD. There's definately a lot more that could be plugged.

Muscle Milk RTD

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 container (17oz)

Servings Per Container: 1

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 350 .
Calories from fat 150 .
Total Fat 17g 26%
Saturated Fat 7g 36%
Cholesterol 5mg 2%
Total Carbohydrates 17g 6%
Dietary Fiber 2g 10%
Sugars 7g .
Protein 34g 68%

EAS Myoplex RTD

Serving Size: 1 Shake (17 Fl Oz)
Servings Per Container: 12

Amount Per Serving: Calories 310
Calories from Fat 70
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 20 mg
Total Carbohydrates 20 g
Sugars 2 g
Sodium 610 mg
Potassium 910 mg
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Protein 43 g

Chippewa

Chippewa

Awards
  • Established
I personally like Optimum's Opti-Pro Meal. It's a good blend of protein types, lots of good vitamins, and not a lot of junk sugars. Pretty affordable in a 5-lb at DPS.

Another option is Biotest's Grow! protein--either regular or low-carb. Top-notch blend of micellar casein, whey, and the BEST flavor I've ever found. But it doesn't supply vitamins or fiber of any type.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I personally like Optimum's Opti-Pro Meal. It's a good blend of protein types, lots of good vitamins, and not a lot of junk sugars. Pretty affordable in a 5-lb at DPS.

Another option is Biotest's Grow! protein--either regular or low-carb. Top-notch blend of micellar casein, whey, and the BEST flavor I've ever found. But it doesn't supply vitamins or fiber of any type.
Biotest grow!. Hahaha thats pretty funny!. hahahaahah he said biotest!

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Biotest grow!. Hahaha thats pretty funny!. hahahaahah he said biotest!
Bwahahahaha You're just cracking me up today. :rofl:

Wait a minute... I use Biotest stuff occasionally.:blink: :think:

blank!

Banned
Awards
Worldwide Pure Protein shake. Cal Caseinate[sux] and MPI blend:

http://www.vigorousliving.com/meulpuprsh12.html

Not the greatest taste[ok, it tastes like ass] but it's loaded with slow-digesting protein and only 3 carbs. Saw it at Trader Joe's tonight.
you shop around GNC's and you can find those cans for next to nothing. when they're cold they're pretty good, and the caseinate and milk is great for sleepwalking protein feedings.

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
you shop around GNC's and you can find those cans for next to nothing. when they're cold they're pretty good, and the caseinate and milk is great for sleepwalking protein feedings.

Yeah, it's a solid nighttime protein for sure... I get them at TJ's for $2.19 a can. Approx price at GNC?

blank!

Banned
Awards
Yeah, it's a solid nighttime protein for sure... I get them at TJ's for $2.19 a can. Approx price at GNC?
gotta catch 'em when they're going out of date. as cheap as $.50, plus if you're there for gold card week...i catch hawthorne berry and fish oil on those sales too...sometimes protein powder too if the price is right.

GuyinLA

Awards
I have read that you should not go with a can but a soft box instead. There is some requirement to heat the contents if canned, which can cause degradation of protein. This isn't so with the boxes. Someone correct me if I have this wrong.

There is another option besides those mentioned above: Labrada Lean Body RTD Shake, which is in a box.

But, if I were you, I would go with packets and a shaker. All you do is add water and shake. I think if you do the arithmetic, you'll find this to be a much more cost effective way to go. I like VPX Micellean MRP, which you can buy 20 packets to a box for $34 at dps.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
um i actually love biotest grow..prob the best tasting meal replacement out there for me.i hate biotest but grow is good

Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Awards
I have read that you should not go with a can but a soft box instead. There is some requirement to heat the contents if canned, which can cause degradation of protein. This isn't so with the boxes. Someone correct me if I have this wrong.

There is another option besides those mentioned above: Labrada Lean Body RTD Shake, which is in a box.

But, if I were you, I would go with packets and a shaker. All you do is add water and shake. I think if you do the arithmetic, you'll find this to be a much more cost effective way to go. I like VPX Micellean MRP, which you can buy 20 packets to a box for $34 at dps.
Here's the scoop on protein RTDs:

Tetra packs (the cardboard cans) use Aseptic packaging. This involves the fluid contents being heated to 280-290 degrees for 5-10 seconds (note that whey proteins begin to denature around 200-210 degrees).

Canned RTDs use the Retort process which involves heating the entire filled can to 230-250 degrees for 6-10 minutes, and the high quality milk protein isolates and concentrates, including casein, used in such products as MET-Rx's RTD 40, 51, Carb Count, Lite, and Worldwide's Pure Protein shakes will not denature as whey protein substrates will.

In fact, Tetra (the manufacturer of those cardboard cans) openly admits that using this type of packaging for "protein based" drinks has represented a huge challenge and is still NOT perfected for higher protein beverages. They are still addressing huge issues as it pertains to actual protein re-hydration; the blending process of the protein solids into a liquid state. In addition, they are continually faced with transfer tube and heat exchange fouling--as caused by the protein gelling (due to the high temperatures and the protein inclusion)-- which has uncovered that using aseptic packaging for protein beverages requires special handling and cleaning of the equipment during runs (which has been shown to produce product inconsistencies).

The bottom line is that you're just not sure exactly how much useable protein you're getting in a cardboard container--stick with a canned RTD and play it safe.

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

You can try the new INstone puddings that are in a can. They seem interesting. A quick shot of 20 grams of protein!

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
yea but they use soy..could have jsut used all milk isolate..

NoSwtTea4U

Board Supporter
Awards
They're either $2.24 or $2.06 I forgot, then if you have GC, 20% off that first week :).

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
For those of you getting stuff from GNC, see if they give discounts to certain gym memebers. Even though I only go buy in person if I forget to order online, my gym membership card actually gives me 5% more than the gold card. Plus, the discount is ALL the time.

Ok....to keep this a little more on topic, I'd just mix some up in a shaker before bed and keep in the fridge. But for me walking to the fridge and back doesn't wake me up.

parttimer

Awards
  • Established
I like the Muscle Tech in a can. The strawberry is the best by far. I would also say the Instone puddin is good too.

Teegunn

Awards
Muscle Milk RTD - cookies and cream flavor. My favorite tasting protein/MRP/RTD, hands down. If you have never tried them - do yourself a favor and give them a shot. You won't regret it. You'll be wondering why in the hell you ever spent money on an EAS, Muscletech or Optimum RTD.

Weezy06

Awards
At Vitamin World we sell those Worldwide Nutrition RTD shakes for $10 bucks a case and buy 1 get 1 free.

Arrogant

Arrogant

Awards
In fact, Tetra (the manufacturer of those cardboard cans) openly admits that using this type of packaging for "protein based" drinks has represented a huge challenge and is still NOT perfected for higher protein beverages. They are still addressing huge issues as it pertains to actual protein re-hydration; the blending process of the protein solids into a liquid state. In addition, they are continually faced with transfer tube and heat exchange fouling--as caused by the protein gelling (due to the high temperatures and the protein inclusion)-- which has uncovered that using aseptic packaging for protein beverages requires special handling and cleaning of the equipment during runs (which has been shown to produce product inconsistencies).

Source?