Carbohydrate recommendations?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looking for a supplement to either drink pre/intra/post. I have never really taken carbs before or after during training so I'm looking to add it and there's a fair few product's to choose from, or I could buy bulk directly and add it into an intra drink?

Devildog_

Devildog_

Awards
Why a carb supplement and not just eat delicious food?

Devildog_

Devildog_

Awards
That being said try karbolyn. 200 calories and something like 50g of carbs. But I still prefer to eat mine ?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That being said try karbolyn. 200 calories and something like 50g of carbs. But I still prefer to eat mine ?
I do eat carbs, was just looking for other options to take around my work-outs. I'm generally not that hungry directly after a work-out.

Devildog_

Devildog_

Awards
Try the karbolyn or just making a shake with some oats yogurt and peanut butter in it. Tastes great and you can drink it in 5 seconds

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I dont know about you Devildog, but pretty sure I dont eat carbs during my workout. Along with that not everyone has the time or opportunity to get a fast digesting carb in right after the workout.

I am a fan for having Glycofuse and Compete as my intra drink. I usually have 2 scoops of Glycofuse which with whatever I have left over I than will drink right after my workout.

Devildog_

Devildog_

Awards
Well you said pre/intra/or post so I figured id chime in wth pre and post

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
there a waste of money. you don't need to eat right after training lol, wait until your hungry or stop being a bish lol

better yet, drink a gatorade or eat some poptarts.. boom same effect lmao

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
If you're looking for an intra carb, just get powdered gatorade and throw in 5-10g bcaa's. gatorade is way cheaper than a fancy carb supplement. just make sure dextrose or maltodextrin are first on the ingredients list. you don't want fructose during training, your body processes that differently.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I'm pretty sure eating carbohydrates right after a workout isn't actually necessary.

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I'm pretty sure eating carbohydrates right after a workout isn't actually necessary.
correct sir. broscience strikes again

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I would disagree. A fast digesting carbohydrate source with a protein post workout will spike insulin levels allowing your body to fill glycogen stores and uptake amino acids for muscle protein snythesis. there is a lot of debate out there about carbs but in many studies post workout is the most important time to take in carbs. Its the time when you're body is primed to utlize them to the fullest

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nutrient Timing Research: http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf

OP I'd just start with something cheap. Grab some Gatorade powder if you want something flavored. In general and for most people I don't think the "fancy" CHO products are necessary.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dont know about you Devildog, but pretty sure I dont eat carbs during my workout. Along with that not everyone has the time or opportunity to get a fast digesting carb in right after the workout.

I am a fan for having Glycofuse and Compete as my intra drink. I usually have 2 scoops of Glycofuse which with whatever I have left over I than will drink right after my workout.
Nice intra!!

I use the following products (mix n match)

Karbolyn
Dark matter
Carbion
Carbonx
Glycoject

I add aminos, a couple different herbs for da pumppppp

Glycofuse is great I forgot to add that to my order

Waxybolic by nutrabolics= perfection

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I'm another one on the side of not using intra-workout carb supplements, especially if you're doing a typical bodybuilding routine.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i never really used carbs intraworkout and for the most part i still don't....but in the winter i had a few free jugs of size on and liked the experience of having carbs intraworkout

but i think adding a gatorade powder to your intra of choice would be a decent start....lemon lime gatorade mixed with some lemon drop compete...i may have to try that in the future

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i never really used carbs intraworkout and for the most part i still don't....but in the winter i had a few free jugs of size on and liked the experience of having carbs intraworkout

but i think adding a gatorade powder to your intra of choice would be a decent start....lemon lime gatorade mixed with some lemon drop compete...i may have to try that in the future
This is how I felt, I tried Size On and I felt like I had more energy after my training session.

Products which are available in Australia are,

GENR8 VITARGO
DYMATIZE FLUD
GASPARI NUTRITION GLYCOFUSE
All American EFX - Karbolyn
Aussie product Carbfusion which contains - Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Wazy Maize Starch, Super Fine Oats

It's confusing lol

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
All my carbs are peri workout. Weetbix pre, powerade intra and rice post.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No other carbs the remainder of the day Jig?

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll also throw Glycophase out there.

Matt Porter has an intra blend floating around that looks good too.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Same here. This is how it should be done. Take in carbs when you need them. Its very beneficial for getting lean and maintaining it.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
No other carbs the remainder of the day Jig?
Nope. Except maybe trace carbs, but I generally eat bacon and eggs for breakfast with chicken and ground beef with veggies for dinner

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow all these years and I never knew u were a fellow "lower" carb disciple lol

FWIW: Fish, eggs and greens represent the majority of my diet (along with plenty of "clean" fats and a diversified blend)

Nope. Except maybe trace carbs, but I generally eat bacon and eggs for breakfast with chicken and ground beef with veggies for dinner

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

FWIW: Fish, eggs and greens represent the majority of my diet (along with plenty of "clean" fats and a diversified blend)
How's backloading attempt going?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Use to eat no more than 50-100g daily but being at uni means that carb choices are cheaper to come by. But only ever in the peri workout window.

Nuts and animal proteins are expensive so i had to cut back on those.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Use to eat no more than 50-100g daily but being at uni means that carb choices are cheaper to come by. But only ever in the peri workout window.

Someone got worried about the recent epidemiological cohort study? ;)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's where I'm living ~75/day We are a little different though as my carbs are more incidental - I don't eat carbs on purpose during the training window.

Ezekiel bread and nuts are where I get my other carbs. I spread these out though and I'm not insane about things - i don't count me anymore; but "know" when I'm over my limit.

Use to eat no more than 50-100g daily but being at uni means that carb choices are cheaper to come by. But only ever in the peri workout window. Nuts and animal proteins are expensive so i had to cut back on those.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

I couldn't make it on that low of carb intake.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do 40g waxy maize pre, with my hemavol and creatine. Love it!

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
I will also throw Glycophase out there. I never used intra carbs until recently and my endurance and recovery have improved greatly.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
That's where I'm living ~75/day We are a little different though as my carbs are more incidental - I don't eat carbs on purpose during the training window.

Ezekiel bread and nuts are where I get my other carbs. I spread these out though and I'm not insane about things - i don't count me anymore; but "know" when I'm over my limit.
Its something I've been trialing. I've given almost every diet a shot (IF, CBL, Alternate day fasting, low Carb, high Carb etc.) And this has been my favourite approach to date.

Once I graduate I will go back to lower Carb again

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I will also throw Glycophase out there. I never used intra carbs until recently and my endurance and recovery have improved greatly.
Thanks for the support my man. Much appreciated.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll also throw Glycophase out there.

Matt Porter has an intra blend floating around that looks good too.
Glycofuse. ;)

Agreed on MPA Muscle Intrusion as well. Solid product.

OP, the benefit of intra workout carbs can vary quite a bit, depending on several factors (like training style and meal timing). I'd suggest experimenting with a cheap carb source before dropping cash on something else. When I first started using an intra drink, it was Gatorade (G2) powder with Modern BCAA.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Glycofuse. ;)

Agreed on MPA Muscle Intrusion as well. Solid product.

OP, the benefit of intra workout carbs can vary quite a bit, depending on several factors (training style being one). I'd suggest experimenting with a cheap carb source before dropping cash on something else. When I first started using an intra drink, it was Gatorade (G2) powder with Modern BCAA.
I'm glad breezy pointed this out.

I also started with powerade and will continue to use it when money is tight.

I didnt start implementing intra carbs until my training intensity increased. I mix my intra carbs with my BCAA+SAA. This allows me to not have to rush after a workout to get that shake in :) I can prepare and eat a nice whole food meal about an hour post workout because as I have provided ample nutrition pre and intra wo.