biotest surge and/or imitations

1. Pop-Lock champion of 84'
    Answers

biotest surge and/or imitations

Saw a few threads but was wondering if anyone takes this for PW - read many studies about PW - low gi high gi etc, looking for some feedback on people that actually know about diet - not just people who tried it to try supps. I figure you could make your own mix, though John B says no way. Just looking for some feedback thanks.

2. Registered User
    Answers

I use Surge and I'm happy with it. But it's not rocket science to make your own, no matter what John B says (anyone ever notice that he rests his ENTIRE case for the super-secret magic BCAA ratio formula on a SINGLE paper presented at ONE conference that has never been reviewed or published??).

The good flavor would be hard to duplicate for a hydrol. whey, but other than that it's pretty ordinary.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

It's cheaper to make your own. Biotest is a waste of money.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla
    It's cheaper to make your own. Biotest is a waste of money.
    It is cheaper, but what recipe do you use? I can't come up with anything that offers whey hydrolysate and doesn't taste like bile.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

It is cheaper, but what recipe do you use? I can't come up with anything that offers whey hydrolysate and doesn't taste like bile.
    If you want hydrol. try proto whey by BNRG. Biotest products are a waste of money.
  6. Pop-Lock champion of 84'
    Answers

Nice thanks for the feedback - I figured it was a waste of money $30 for 10 servings. Now for the next question - anyone see any difference/improvements using hydro whey and bcaa's after training - Studies seem to prove it does but that's all I have seen so far, no real world praise.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

What would needed to be added to make your own?
  8. Registered User
    Answers

It's not going to make a noticable difrence over what sound nutrition will give you. I make my own sometimes, but I only use it in a pinch when I gotta get to the gym and i havn't eaten for more than 3hrs.

BTW, you can make it with isolate. It won't kill the formula.Besides, All it is is protein carbs and aminos.
  9. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Lean One
    BTW, you can make it with isolate. It won't kill the formula.Besides, All it is is protein carbs and aminos.
    I make it with isolate too.
  10. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Pfunk47
    Nice thanks for the feedback - I figured it was a waste of money $30 for 10 servings. Now for the next question - anyone see any difference/improvements using hydro whey and bcaa's after training - Studies seem to prove it does but that's all I have seen so far, no real world praise.
    It's $21, though.

I haven't notice a difference in physical results, EXCEPT that I can accomplish the same recovery with far fewer calories. Since in either cutting or bulking I'd rather make up my calories with something other than sugar, that's a good end result.
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Chippewa
    It's $21, though.
    Where are you getting surge for that price?
  12. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by THA GONZ
    Where are you getting surge for that price?
    Right from Biotest's own site. Their low-carb Grow with micellar casein, milk isolate, and whey is only $23, and they ship very quickly.
  13. Registered User
    Answers

IF the hydro whey from prot. customizer is as good as black star labs was, then have no fear, it tasted great for a hydro. I bought a few 2lb bags of dext. 2lbs of hydrowhey. I have had 10lbs of malto forever but use mainly dext, and i throw in some BCAA. It tastes awesome. I throw a scoop of ICE from extreme in there too sometimes. I used ICE or BCAA and dext pre and during workout.
  14. Syr
    Hot Italian Goldmember
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Pfunk47
    Saw a few threads but was wondering if anyone takes this for PW - read many studies about PW - low gi high gi etc, looking for some feedback on people that actually know about diet - not just people who tried it to try supps. I figure you could make your own mix, though John B says no way. Just looking for some feedback thanks.
    Whatever he says I think that the BCAA content in SURGE is too low. And also is the glutammine (old school dose of 3g does absolutely nothing).
    If taste wasnt a problem, this is the recipe I'm working on at the moment (doses for an average 200lb guy):

-60g of glutammine
    -30g BCAA (or EAA)
    -50g of whey hydrolyzed.
    -Plus the amount of simple carbs that you can stand, from 1:2 to 2:1 ratio to proteins. Or even none if you are on a strict low carb diet.

Speaking of Biotest, it seemed someone that writes for them changed a little his mind about workout nutrition:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...59666&pageNo=0

I've read this just last night and there is some good info, some of which is better to discuss in a separate thread, though.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Hydro whey concentrate for $8.95/lb and Hydro whey high grade for $9.50/lb at trueprotein.com. Get the chocolate BSL flavoring and you're good to go. As cheap as they come. Discount code "NAW223" for an additional 5% off on top of that.
  16. Registered User
    Answers

I should have known this a long time ago, but indulge me: what's the difference in use and effect of hydro concentrate vs. hydro high grade?
  17. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Chippewa
    I should have known this a long time ago, but indulge me: what's the difference in use and effect of hydro concentrate vs. hydro high grade?
    Hydro, isolate, concentrate ... it really doesn't matter. Details are minutia.

Off topic ... if someone would create a protein blend or a flavor pack (Dave, you listening?!? ) that mirrored Surge's flavor, I would be in heaven. That is the only 'good' thing about that product.
  18. Syr
    Hot Italian Goldmember
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus
    Hydro, isolate, concentrate ... it really doesn't matter. Details are minutia.

Off topic ... if someone would create a protein blend or a flavor pack (Dave, you listening?!? ) that mirrored Surge's flavor, I would be in heaven. That is the only 'good' thing about that product.
    I haven't tried surge yet, but as far as flavours goes GF pro orange cream is the best tasting protein i have ever tried. Its not hydrolyzed unfortunately
  19. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Syr
    Whatever he says I think that the BCAA content in SURGE is too low. And also is the glutammine (old school dose of 3g does absolutely nothing).
    If taste wasnt a problem, this is the recipe I'm working on at the moment (doses for an average 200lb guy):

-60g of glutammine
    -30g BCAA (or EAA)
    -50g of whey hydrolyzed.
    -Plus the amount of simple carbs that you can stand, from 1:2 to 2:1 ratio to proteins. Or even none if you are on a strict low carb diet.

Speaking of Biotest, it seemed someone that writes for them changed a little his mind about workout nutrition:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...59666&pageNo=0

I've read this just last night and there is some good info, some of which is better to discuss in a separate thread, though.
    Did you mean 6g of glutamine or did you really mean 60g?
  20. Syr
    Hot Italian Goldmember
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by WannaGro
    Did you mean 6g of glutamine or did you really mean 60g?
    I really meant 60g. To be more precise, the formula should be 0.6g per Kg of LBM. Only post-workout, though, not everyday.
  21. Board Supporter
    Answers

I have never heard of taking that much, did you get that by trial and error or did you read it somewhere. And what is your recovery time like. I have alot of glutamine so this might be something for me to try.

Thanks
    -WannaGro
  22. Syr
    Hot Italian Goldmember
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by WannaGro
    I have never heard of taking that much, did you get that by trial and error or did you read it somewhere. And what is your recovery time like. I have alot of glutamine so this might be something for me to try.
    Poliquin recommendations. And I think that the reason (I read somewhere else) is that a huge amount is used in your stomach to "feed its lining (sp)" and the rest does its actual action to help recovery. Now if we get an esterified version this wont be a problem. I never tried such doses of gluta, but when i did, i went as high as 20g during a single day, it did absolutely nothing. So, I classified it as worthless old school supp. Until i've read of some new theories on post-workout nutrition AND Poliquin latest book, German Body Comp.
  23. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Syr
    Poliquin recommendations. And I think that the reason (I read somewhere else) is that a huge amount is used in your stomach to "feed its lining (sp)" and the rest does its actual action to help recovery. Now if we get an esterified version this wont be a problem. I never tried such doses of gluta, but when i did, i went as high as 20g during a single day, it did absolutely nothing. So, I classified it as worthless old school supp. Until i've read of some new theories on post-workout nutrition AND Poliquin latest book, German Body Comp.
    Glutamine is not worth the money invested IMO,(not trying to rain on your parade Syr.) Unless you are lying in a hospital bed, (clinically proven in burn patients) It will do nothing better than what sound training and nutrition principals will do for you. A search on this topic will yield some definitive studdies on the issue. Courtesey of Bobo. Though I have also read it elsewhare.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Biotest Surge masks the flavor of HMB and CEE
    By Chippewa in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2005, 07:22 AM
  2. Stacking and/or cycling
    By upkalan in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 11:21 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 04:30 PM
  4. What are the benefits of using the Sauna and/or the Steam Room?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 04:32 AM
  5. Chemo and/or other 1,4-Andro and r-ALA users
    By DevilSmack in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 08:39 AM