Substance WPI/Nectar/Ergo GF-Pro Reviews - AnabolicMinds.com

Substance WPI/Nectar/Ergo GF-Pro Reviews

1. New Member

Substance WPI/Nectar/Ergo GF-Pro Reviews

Well fellas, spoiled myself and picked up some Grape Substance WPI, Fuzzy Navel and Strawberry Kiwi Nectar, and Strawberry Lemonade GF-Pro protein. Also received a sample packet of Crystal Sky Nectar...so I will be doing a review based on flavor, texture, mixture, and tolerance (how long I can take it before I get sick of it).

Hopefully this review will help you all choose from the exotic "juice" proteins out there. Who knows, maybe i'll pick up more flavors to add to this review...i'm up for anything, so if anyone would like to request a flavor/"juice" protein product, request it and I'll try it.

2. New Member

Substance WPI - Grape Splash

Well took my first serving of substance WPI - Grape Splash. The powder is a beige color, when you look at it you'd think its be unflavored protein.

Mixed with spoon in cup with cold water
    When I mix proteins I prefer adding the powder to the cup then adding water. This is how I prepared this serving. I've read other reviews that users had luck using warm water then adding ice. I went about my regular ways adding cold water to the mix. The water turned purple instantly. Then mixed with a spoon and noticed I couldn't break up some clumps and some of the "goo" would stick to the spoon. Let me also add, the mix didn't foam like others claim Nectar does.

Taste
    When drinking this serving I sipped it rather than my normal "shotgun" approach. I was dissapointed. This is waay too sweet for me. Tastes like Grape Cell-Tech. A few minutes after finishing the drink, I did notice a little stomach discomfort which subsided in 5 min. or so.

I will following up with different ways of mixing the product and trying warm water and adding ice, varying the water levels, etc. When update each type of protein, will just edit the appropriate post.
  3. Board Supporter

I got 2 free samples of grape splash Substance WPI with my 1fast400 order and used both servings in my PWO shake. I wanted to get a good sense of what this tasted like so I drank my dex and malto immediately following the whey:

Taste = 4/5 Not too bitter, not too sweet...would have been a 5 if it weren't for that all-too-common whey aftertaste

Mix = 3/5 I used a shaker bottle and it was still chunky...good luck using a spoon...the foam was crazy...I had to wait 2 minutes to let it settle

Overall = 3.5/5 Great alternative to those vanilla/chocolate/strawberry whey shakes...but too expensive and PITA to use on a consistent basis
    •   

4. New Member

Syntrax Nectar - Crystal Sky

Well decided I'd try the sample pack I received next.
    Again the powder looks like it is unflavored. Went along and added the powder to the cup followed by cold water (4 oz./1/2 serving) and mixed with a spoon. Water turned a light blue color immediately. Mixed a lot easier than the Substance WPI did. No "goo" on the spoon and no chunks floating around. Also, didn't notice any foam like other claim when taking their Nectar, which is probably due to using a shaker bottle. I'd have to say the protein mixed just as easy as Optimum 100% whey (which i'm sure almost all of you tried).

As for flavor...the best way to compare it is to those long skinny blue ice popsicles I used to eat when I was younger. NOt sure what they're called but they come in boxes of 100+ in red, purple, blue, orange usually. They are about 10" long, and about 3/4" in width. Well if you've never tried them, tastes like blue rasberry. Closest thing I can compare it to...but without the sugar. I'd say i'd give this flavor two thumbs up. Very easy to drink, no stomach discomfort.
  5. New Member

Grape Splash is the best protein out there. (opinion) Besides, the lumping up, it has the best taste of any fruit protein so far. If you want to compare it to something, it kind of tastes like "Big League Chew" (the old gum). I was also given free crystal sky samples. It was ok. Nothing exciting about it. Let's just say you don't have to will yourself to drink it down.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Syntrax protein products are the best IMO because they don't have the whey after taste. They also mix well without much clumping. The Muscle Matrix 5.0 is the best tasting vanilla and chocolate proteins I've ever had though they were a bit sweet. The Nectar proteins are also sweet but not nearly as much. The Roadside Lemonade is my favorite although it tastes more like a lemon meringue though I'd prefer more of a lemonade acidic type bite to it.

As for "those long skinny blue ice popsicles...they come in boxes of 100+ in red, purple, blue, orange usually" i think you're referring to otter pops. I have some unflavored whey protein so I might buy a box of those otter pops to flavor it. I think there's 6 different flavors so it'd be a nice change of pace, only problem is it's just pure sugar you are adding in.

I'd should also note that the unflavored is from allthewhey and it also mixes instantly and has no whey aftertaste. I also have their orange flavor and while it has a nice orange smell to it, it has virtually no taste akin to the unflavored, but I prefer that quality.
  7. New Member

You can mix Substance with a spoon, BUT you need to add it to the water slowly.
    Sprinkling it over the surface seems to work the best. Dumping it in all at once doesn't work.

Using a shaker works good as long as you remove the screen, if your cup has one, and not violently shaking it.
  8. New Member

Syntrax is gone.
  9. Banned

I really liked Grape Splash.
  10. New Member

You guys really need to try the Watermelon Substance WPI. My review: http://forum.avantlabs.com/?act=ST&f=2&t=13638&
  11. New Member

Has anyone done label claims testing on either product?

I am not infering anything, just honest curiousity
  12. Board Supporter

I tried the Substance Grape. Much better than my strawberry ON protein. Kool-Aid sweet. I like. I just got the Watermelon, I'll try tomorrow and give feedback. Pricey tho -- I got mine as cheap as I could find -- 19$ for 2 pounds, which is twice as expensive as Optimum. From the labels it seems that Optimum is better (more BCAA)...but I'm so sick of strawberry after my 9th pound of it!
  13. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I just bought the Cherry Blast GF-Pro the other day.

That stuff tastes soooo good. It mixes up really easily with a spoon, and tastes great.

The only gripe I have with it is the price, sure it's a good product, but at about $35 or so, it's really expensive. Only reason I bought was there was some marked down really low at GNC and the girl there likes me, so I paid $12 for it.

Its good, but I don't think I can fit it in my budget every month at that price.
  14. New Member

GF Pro - Rasberry Lemonade

Took 1 serving of GF Pro and mixed it with the reccommended 8 oz. of water. Mixed fairly easily with a spoon. No "goo." Also noticed that once mixed, protein doesn't fall out...it remainds in liquid form so no need to rush to drink. This is nice because I can take my time and drink it with a meal that doesn't have high amounts of protein.

As far as taste goes, this one is awesome. Doesn't have a sweet taste to it, but not bitter. Taste's like lemonade but doesn't have the citrus tang to it. Also noticed its a little creamy tasting. So far the best flavored fruit protein i've tried so far.
  15. New Member

Syntrax Nectar - Strawberry Kiwi

See above nectar review for comment on mixing...no difference from Crystal Sky flavor.

As far as taste goes, this one is too sweet for my liking when mixed with 8oz. (reccommended). I will have to try diluting it to 10oz., therefore, this protein is not a very good protein to take when taking 2-3 servings at a time because you'll be very full after taking 20-30oz. of liquid. Flavor tastes just like it sounds. Taste like Kool-Aid if Kool-Aid created a strawberry kiwi flavor (they probably already did).
  16. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Funny observation:

Nectar Crystal Sky will turn your **** a forest green color. This has nothing to do with anything but its just a funny observation. I had this happen to 2 other friends of mine too (what a conversation that was).
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  17. CDB

Quote Originally Posted by gizzle
    Grape Splash is the best protein out there. (opinion) Besides, the lumping up, it has the best taste of any fruit protein so far. If you want to compare it to something, it kind of tastes like "Big League Chew" (the old gum). I was also given free crystal sky samples. It was ok. Nothing exciting about it. Let's just say you don't have to will yourself to drink it down.
    I go a free sample of the grape Substance WPI. It was definitely the best tasting protein powder I've ever had, and my sample actually mixed very easily with a spoon. Mixability of protein powders is really variable. Buy the same flavor of the same brand that mixed great last time and it'll clump this time. Overall though, if that stuff weren't so expensive, I'd be buying that flavor. It was damn good and I'm so sick of chocolate.
  18. Banned

Realize there is a difference between an Isolate (substance, nectar) and concentrate such as optimum.
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Funny observation:

Nectar Crystal Sky will turn your **** a forest green color. This has nothing to do with anything but its just a funny observation. I had this happen to 2 other friends of mine too (what a conversation that was).
    I'm another. The sh*t was so green, it looked fake.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Ergo GF-Pro (& other expensive protein)
    By Markio in forum Supplements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-08-2006, 04:42 AM
  2. Substance WPI
    By T-Bone in forum Supplements
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 09:09 AM
  3. Syr GF-Pro review
    By Syr in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 08:12 PM
  4. GF Pro