Dairy Products/Cheese

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's everyones position with regard to dairy products being an acceptable food choice for OPTIMAL HEALTH?

This is NOT a discussion on dairy just being another food choice amongst many.

Lots of anti-dairy people spewing dairy hate. Many claim dairy perpetuates disease/pathologies, etc

Any validity to these claims in that they are antagonistic to optimum health?

NOT looking for just bro-logic here.

Thanks

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I'm lactose intolerant so I try and avoid it, but if it doesn't give u any issues I see no reason to avoid it

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
A lot of people avoid dairy or milk products due to the notion that "milk is for infants" but it is now widely regarded that if dairy consumption is kept high, that Lactase production will not drop off substantially. Further, a chance mutation that occurred a few thousand years ago now allows adulyt humans to produce lactase, the enzyme needed for lactose digestion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_persistence)

If milk is not consumed into adulthood, then likely the adult will no longer have enough appreciable lactase production to digest the lactose in milk (hence the prevelance of lactose intolerance).

Milk products can be avoided but optimal health can still be achieved; there are many ways to skin a cat. But in my mind, unless you have an intolerance issue there is no real reason to avoid it.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
It's not so much that I can't tolerate it (in moderation) its that people can't tolerate me when I do dairy had a piece of cheesecake earlier and I will have a section of the gym all to myself once the woman of the house gets home. Of course that might be awhile since she probably off spreading diseases

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's everyones position with regard to dairy products being an acceptable food choice for OPTIMAL HEALTH?

This is NOT a discussion on dairy just being another food choice amongst many.

Lots of anti-dairy people spewing dairy hate. Many claim dairy perpetuates disease/pathologies, etc

Any validity to these claims in that they are antagonistic to optimum health?

NOT looking for just bro-logic here.

Thanks
I avoid conventional milk, especially anything above skim. All the crap given to cows is stored in their fat thus you get a nice serving of toxins and antibiotics whenever you partake: )

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Constituents in dairy aid in weight loss when on a diet that's low in calcium. The added calcium as well as stuff in the milk that inhibits angiotensin converting enzyme will help reduce adipogenesis.

Insulin sensitivity as well can be raised as milk can activate the ppar delta receptor

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19700678/

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Basically what jiigz said. If you're not conditioned to dairy intake through childhood/adolescence, it can be unhealthy by invoking inflammatory processes. Otherwise, dairy has its fair share of health benefits as well

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Luckily for me, I've always drank large amounts of dairy. I love milk, it's both delicious and healthy.

But yeah, what Jiigzz and Cooper said, if you didn't drink enough milk consistently to stave off lactose intolerance, it can be problematic.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the good info and replies fellas ;)

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Love milk, but had a co worker give me sh*t the other day for drinking it at work. Said he thought only kids drank milk? Never heard that one before.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Love milk, but had a co worker give me sh*t the other day for drinking it at work. Said he thought only kids drank milk? Never heard that one before.
Bahahaha I hear tht all the time.

Go in with a gallon jug next time

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol, I have two gallons of skim in our work fridge. I have to workout at lunch so protein shake right after makes that a necessity!

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I've long taken flak for my anti-cow milk stance on this forum - and I don't go around spewing hate either

despite coop & jiigzz offering above on dairy, I will conversely disagee with the stance that if you drink a lot in childhood, then you will be okay in adulthood .. in fact, quite the opposite in my opinion; you can drin kall the milk you want from childhood and adulthood, and still run into issues as you approach 30ish or so
(perhaps it is because those aforementioned guys have not reached that age yet, is why they do not have different perspective at this point) :D

milk allergies constitute a great many ppl these days -- whether they know it or not
some 50% of the population are intolerant to some extent or another

I myself always drank milk, from childhood and then into adulthood -- at one point, I was drinking 1-2g daily in my early 20s!
as I approached late 20s, it was discovered during an allergy test that I was intolerant to this..
when I quit drinking, my breathing cleared up, skin blemishes went away, and I just felt so much better -- not to mention, looked a helluva lot better (I have lactose intolerance as well)

there will always be debate on this issue, with two different viewpoints..
do what works best for you, but just keep an open mind, would be my .02

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Men drink beer.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
I'll throw this in as well.

I always drank milk growing up never had an issue until this past year or so. Bloated, gassy etc every time. Sucks in a way as I do love milk cheese I've cream etc but Almond milk is my new friend :)

Adizzle1

Adizzle1

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
"Milk is for babies, when you grow up you have to drink beer"

Arnold schwarzenegger

I think we can all agree, arnold knows what hea talking about, case closed!

;)

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
haha yup :p

How about the Paleo crowd? Pretty sure this is not Paleo

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
haha yup :p

How about the Paleo crowd? Pretty sure this is not Paleo
Its not, but even paleo people are not true paleo. Do any of them eat the whole carcass? Do they also eat insects?

:p

As i said above,it was widely regarded that adult humans could not drink milk until a few thousand years ago when a genetic mutation occured.

I will drink milk until such a time that i cant

amarula

Awards
I've used dairy products since childhood in abundance. A few years ago, following a doctor sugestion, I removed all dairy from my diet. 3-4 years back I've restarted using dairy proteins, yogurt and cheese. Didn't notice any significant difference health wise

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are many that claim that via removing either dairy or wheat or both from their diet; they made significant strides in overall health or flat out ceased having certain diseases/allergies/conditions.

Just makes me wonder that's all

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are many that claim that via removing either dairy or wheat or both from their diet; they made significant strides in overall health or flat out ceased having certain diseases/allergies/conditions.

Dark chocolate covered crickets go for a decent price on amazon.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Not hard to improve in health when you stop ingesting blood, puss, antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, GMO, etc.

Younglifter16

Awards
Not hard to improve in health when you stop ingesting blood, puss, antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, GMO, etc.
im not really much of a hipster, but I tend to limit dairy for these reasons. I also know people that cut out dairy and have much improved skin (less acne and whatnot), that could be lactose related though, not sure. I never really had an issue but I limit dairy to 1-3 servings a day anyway and was never lactose intolerant.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
There are many that claim that via removing either dairy or wheat or both from their diet; they made significant strides in overall health or flat out ceased having certain diseases/allergies/conditions. Just makes me wonder that's all
FWIW as I already stated about myself with milk, I've done the same with Gluten (as much as possible). Took my kiddo (5 year old) off gluten as well.

Within a few days his constant runny nose went away, he's off the wall ((energy) and his mood/attitude has been night and day better.

I'm not here to say anyone is wrong or right really just stating my personal experiences on the subject.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for sharing

I read this sort of thing all the time - hence my interest and hence, why I started the thread. ;)

FWIW as I already stated about myself with milk, I've done the same with Gluten (as much as possible). Took my kiddo (5 year old) off gluten as well. Within a few days his constant runny nose went away, he's off the wall ((energy) and his mood/attitude has been night and day better. I'm not here to say anyone is wrong or right really just stating my personal experiences on the subject.