Suitable cortisol control supplement for women?

  1. Registered User
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136
    Answers
    0

    Suitable cortisol control supplement for women?


    My wife has high cortisol levels and she has gained weight as a result. Cardio and diet are in check but her weight isn't moving. Looking for suggestions on safe cortisol control supplements. Safety is of the utmost importance. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks,Monte

  2. Registered User
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,457
    Answers
    8


    Do you have bloodwork evidencing high cortisol levels? Cortisol is a catabolic hormone and high cortisol leads to weight loss
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  3. Registered User
    Montego1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,454
    Answers
    2


    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Do you have bloodwork evidencing high cortisol levels? Cortisol is a catabolic hormone and high cortisol leads to weight loss
    Yep this. (Even though me and this guy are not supposed to agree :P) Normally cortisol controlling supplements are used for muscle preservation not weight loss.

    ​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136
    Answers
    0


    Coop, Montego - thanks for the replies. Yes, recent blood results show high cortisol levels. I thought high levels were associated with body fat gain - especially in the abdomen area? That is her main issue. Her test was also on the high end of the range but she does not have any androgenic side effects (note - she does not use AAS or PH). Any comments or speculation would be welcome. Thanks, Monte
  5. Registered User
    PrepNwa23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,360
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post
    Coop, Montego - thanks for the replies. Yes, recent blood results show high cortisol levels. I thought high levels were associated with body fat gain - especially in the abdomen area? That is her main issue. Her test was also on the high end of the range but she does not have any androgenic side effects (note - she does not use AAS or PH). Any comments or speculation would be welcome. Thanks, Monte
    Curious what did her physician say or offer as a solution to the issue?
    PES Representative
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  6. Registered User
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by PrepNwa23 View Post
    Curious what did her physician say or offer as a solution to the issue?
    They think she has something called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. She works out like a champ and eats well but cannot lose weight. Fat around the abdomen is particularly stubborn. Cortisol is very high and test is also elevated. The weight gain is having a terrible mental impact so I'm hoping supplements can play a helpful role.The doctors are doing more testing before recommending a course of therapy.Monte
  7. Registered User
    PrepNwa23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,360
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post
    They think she has something called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. She works out like a champ and eats well but cannot lose weight. Fat around the abdomen is particularly stubborn. Cortisol is very high and test is also elevated. The weight gain is having a terrible mental impact so I'm hoping supplements can play a helpful role.The doctors are doing more testing before recommending a course of therapy.Monte
    Honestly I'd hold off on using supplements for now until all the testing is done and they give you a course of action to do. It's a bad answer to hear but I wouldn't recommend any supplements until then. I'm sorry for your wife that she's going through all this only advice I'd say is be supportive as possible obviously and be as reassuring as ever. Unless Coop has any other advice to give.
    PES Representative
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  8. Registered User
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by PrepNwa23 View Post
    Honestly I'd hold off on using supplements for now until all the testing is done and they give you a course of action to do. It's a bad answer to hear but I wouldn't recommend any supplements until then. I'm sorry for your wife that she's found through all this only advice I'd say is be supportive as possible obviously and be as reassuring as ever. Unless Coop has any other advice to give.
    Thanks, Prep. Appreciate your comments and advice. The weight gain has hurt her mentally. Nothing she's doing has helped. Hard as a husband to watch your wife suffer. Best,Monte
  9. Registered User
    fightbackhxc's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,386
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Do you have bloodwork evidencing high cortisol levels? Cortisol is a catabolic hormone and high cortisol leads to weight loss
    Wait..I thought high levels of cortisol perpetuated fat storage?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
  10. Registered User
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,457
    Answers
    8


    Quote Originally Posted by fightbackhxc View Post
    Wait..I thought high levels of cortisol perpetuated fat storage?
    Sigh...Jim Stoppani wins again

    They promote fat resdistribution. You will lose weight on the net. Muscle throughout the body, fat from the extremities, with redposition in the mid-section. Look up google images for Cushing's
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  11. Registered User
    fightbackhxc's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,386
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    Sigh...Jim Stoppani wins again

    They promote fat resdistribution. You will lose weight on the net. Muscle throughout the body, fat from the extremities, with redposition in the mid-section. Look up google images for Cushing's
    Weight on the net meaning you will lose muscle and subsequently keep or possibly gain adipose?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
  12. Registered User
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,457
    Answers
    8


    Quote Originally Posted by fightbackhxc View Post
    Weight on the net meaning you will lose muscle and subsequently keep or possibly gain adipose?
    I mean you will lose muscle and lose fat tissue. The fat will be redistributed due to adipogenesis, but cortisol will chiefly affect lipolysis.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  13. Registered User
    Driven2lift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,707
    Answers
    6


    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    I mean you will lose muscle and lose fat tissue. The fat will be redistributed due to adipogenesis, but cortisol will chiefly affect lipolysis.
    So it redistributes the fat more than eliminates it? Is it used in cuts purely for hopes if bettering aesthetics? Confused as to the exact purpose of cort control now.

    A product like Reduct XT or Abliderate AMMO is best used for what then, in your opinion
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  14. Registered User
    saggy321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,348
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Driven2lift View Post
    So it redistributes the fat more than eliminates it? Is it used in cuts purely for hopes if bettering aesthetics? Confused as to the exact purpose of cort control now.

    A product like Reduct XT or Abliderate AMMO is best used for what then, in your opinion
    I think you catabolise all types of tissue, but some of the fat that is broken down is re-formed and redistributed in the mid-region. I would assume one would use cortisol controlling supplements to attenuate diet or training related cortisol spikes. So for example during the latter parts of a cut or periods of intense training.
  15. Registered User
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by saggy321 View Post
    I think you catabolise all types of tissue, but some of the fat that is broken down is re-formed and redistributed in the mid-region. I would assume one would use cortisol controlling supplements to attenuate diet or training related cortisol spikes. So for example during the latter parts of a cut or periods of intense training.
    Saggy, this was my rationale behind suggesting a cortisol lowering supplement for my wife. She's in a constant "spike", if you will, given her condition. Coop mentioned Cushing's Disease and she has some similar symptoms. People with Cushing's have a swollen, almost bloated look given the excess cortisol levels. My wife is suffering through the same. Best, Monte
  16. Registered User
    saggy321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,348
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post
    Saggy, this was my rationale behind suggesting a cortisol lowering supplement for my wife. She's in a constant "spike", if you will, given her condition. Coop mentioned Cushing's Disease and she has some similar symptoms. People with Cushing's have a swollen, almost bloated look given the excess cortisol levels. My wife is suffering through the same. Best, Monte
    I can understand the rationale and I have tried it myself when I put myself through extreme stress through a combination of diet and intense training. My cortisol was constantly spiked, I was on edge and couldn't sleep at all at night. What helped me the most was phosphotidyle serine (PS). I was around 600mg daily, most in the evening and also vitamin c throughout the day. I would look into PS.
  17. Registered User
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by saggy321 View Post
    I can understand the rationale and I have tried it myself when I put myself through extreme stress through a combination of diet and intense training. My cortisol was constantly spiked, I was on edge and couldn't sleep at all at night. What helped me the most was phosphotidyle serine (PS). I was around 600mg daily, most in the evening and also vitamin c throughout the day. I would look into PS.
    Thanks, Saggy. Is there a particular brand you recommend?

    Monte
  18. Registered User
    kissdadookie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,774
    Answers
    0


    Ashwagandha?

    Typical 1.5% withanolides products I would give around a gram before bed a try. Sensoril brand (Jarrow's, Abyss Unparalleled, Life Extension, etc.) would be @ 250 mg before bed. Could also be split at around 500 mg twice a day for the 1.5% withanolides extract or 125 mg twice a day for the Sensoril brand extract.

    It's great for reducing stress induced cortisol level increases but I don't know if it would do anything for medical condition induced raised cortisol levels.
  19. Registered User
    saggy321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,348
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post
    Thanks, Saggy. Is there a particular brand you recommend?

    Monte
    I just bought some in bulk from the UK. I found this website the most helpful...

    http://cortisolconnection.com/
  20. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,102
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Driven2lift View Post

    So it redistributes the fat more than eliminates it? Is it used in cuts purely for hopes if bettering aesthetics? Confused as to the exact purpose of cort control now.

    A product like Reduct XT or Abliderate AMMO is best used for what then, in your opinion
    Chronic cortisol secretion would hinder your bodies ability to become anabolic. While anabolic and catabolic signalling occur simultaneously at a cellular level, the net result is either catabolism or anabolism.

    In times of chronic stress or after being in a deficit for a long period of time, you would want to limit how much cortisol you secrete as you would also lose muscle.

    Cortisol shouldn't be feared though, as it serves a useful function, but controlling excessive secretion is key.

    Hence why I would recommend Reduce XT on a cut rather than a bulk.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  21. Registered User
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    Ashwagandha?

    Typical 1.5% withanolides products I would give around a gram before bed a try. Sensoril brand (Jarrow's, Abyss Unparalleled, Life Extension, etc.) would be @ 250 mg before bed. Could also be split at around 500 mg twice a day for the 1.5% withanolides extract or 125 mg twice a day for the Sensoril brand extract.

    It's great for reducing stress induced cortisol level increases but I don't know if it would do anything for medical condition induced raised cortisol levels.
    Thanks for the info. Never heard of Sensoril Ashwagandha - will look into it. Is this an herbal remedy?

    Monte
  22. Registered User
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by saggy321 View Post
    I just bought some in bulk from the UK. I found this website the most helpful...

    ]
    Very interesting link, Saggy. Pretty direct comments about cortisol and fat gain. Will read with great interest.

    Monte
  23. Registered User
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Chronic cortisol secretion would hinder your bodies ability to become anabolic. While anabolic and catabolic signalling occur simultaneously at a cellular level, the net result is either catabolism or anabolism.

    In times of chronic stress or after being in a deficit for a long period of time, you would want to limit how much cortisol you secrete as you would also lose muscle.

    Cortisol shouldn't be feared though, as it serves a useful function, but controlling excessive secretion is key.

    Hence why I would recommend Reduce XT on a cut rather than a bulk.
    Jiigzz, great info - thanks. Reduce XT looks like an interesting supplement. I checked Nutraplamet and there was a warning about impact on estrogen levels. I am investigating a non-hormonal supplement for my wife, but XT is of potential interest for me. Will definitely look into this.

    Monte
  24. Registered User
    kissdadookie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,774
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post
    Thanks for the info. Never heard of Sensoril Ashwagandha - will look into it. Is this an herbal remedy?

    Monte
    It's herbal. The Sensoril brand of the extract actually has a pretty comprehensive clinical trial for it (reduced cortisol levels considerably, I recall it being around 20-30% reduction in cortisol levels). I've also used regular 1.5% withanolide ashwagandha extract, it has a different feel but it was also effective at reducing stress and leaving me refreshed and ready to go the morning after.
  25. Registered User
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by kissdadookie View Post
    It's herbal. The Sensoril brand of the extract actually has a pretty comprehensive clinical trial for it (reduced cortisol levels considerably, I recall it being around 20-30% reduction in cortisol levels). I've also used regular 1.5% withanolide ashwagandha extract, it has a different feel but it was also effective at reducing stress and leaving me refreshed and ready to go the morning after.
    Very interesting. First time I'm hearing of this. Will look into it. Thanks again.

    Monte
  26. Registered User
    jbryand101b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    14,600
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post
    Jiigzz, great info - thanks. Reduce XT looks like an interesting supplement. I checked Nutraplamet and there was a warning about impact on estrogen levels. I am investigating a non-hormonal supplement for my wife, but XT is of potential interest for me. Will definitely look into this.

    Monte
    if you want something that works, and works well, reduce xt is the way to go.
  27. Registered User
    djbombsquad's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,833
    Answers
    0


    Cut out the carbs 100% for 4 weeks straight and that should lower her fat nicely?
    Ageforce rep, Lets patch up those mistakes and stop going oral.
    Knowledge is power- The power to do your part and make a difference.
  28. Registered User
    djbombsquad's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,833
    Answers
    0


    Also nrala, carnatine and CLA is great to for fat loss.
    Ageforce rep, Lets patch up those mistakes and stop going oral.
    Knowledge is power- The power to do your part and make a difference.
  29. Registered User
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by jbryand101b View Post
    if you want something that works, and works well, reduce xt is the way to go.
    Appreciate that. Definitely interested.

    Monte
  30. Registered User
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    136
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Cut out the carbs 100% for 4 weeks straight and that should lower her fat nicely?
    Agreed. But I don't think she's strong enough to do that. Diet is good, but not that good. Ha ha. Appreciate the other suggestions very much.

    Monte
  31. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,102
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Cut out the carbs 100% for 4 weeks straight and that should lower her fat nicely?
    Not true
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  32. Registered User
    PrepNwa23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,360
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post

    Not true
    Agreed let's not have the women who we don't know what's going on inside her body right now do drastic change to her diet like cutting out carbs.
    PES Representative
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  33. Registered User
    kbayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,849
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Also nrala, carnatine and CLA is great to for fat loss.
    Negative on saying CLA is great for fat loss.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  34. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,102
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by PrepNwa23 View Post
    Agreed let's not have the women who we don't know what's going on inside her body right now do drastic change to her diet like cutting out carbs.
    Agreed. There is far more to this than diet, and changing something like this may only exacerbate the issues.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. What's The Best Cortisol Control Supplement?
    By dumbhick3 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 09:24 AM
  2. PreWorkout Supplement for Women.
    By WarcraftJJS in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-11-2010, 10:18 AM
  3. Supplements for Women
    By slcl in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 01:44 AM
  4. Good energy supplement for women
    By Siciliana 1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 01:53 AM
  5. What's a good fat loss supplement for women?
    By The_Reverend in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 11:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in